Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Which to buy: GS450h or RCF

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 12:36 PM
alainjc
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which to buy: GS450h or RCF

Hi all, I have been reading a lot of information on the forum. I would like to get some advice from you guys. Here is my situation. I am currently residing in a small country that doesn’t have Lexus dealerships. If I need parts, I will need to order from the states or Japan for instance. Most cars here are Toyota from Japan. I recently saw a 2014 GS450h for $12,000 and a 2016 RCF for $24,000 for sale here. No maintenance history usually here. Both are about 85,000 miles. This will be like a fun car to drive whenever I feel like. Do not need it for daily drive. Again I would not know the maintenance history and whether the hybrid battery has been replaced (I doubt it). I can only go with a mechanic and perform our own inspection. But most mechanics here probably don’t have experiences with these two models. They have experiences to repair other Lexus models though, mainly IS or RX.

which would you guys suggest to buy? By the way, the driving would be mostly city driving. Don’t really have a highway here. For the price difference, I am leaning towards the GS. But the RCF looks very attractive on the outside. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (07-15-24)
Old 07-11-24, 01:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by alainjc
Hi all, I have been reading a lot of information on the forum. I would like to get some advice from you guys. Here is my situation. I am currently residing in a small country that doesn’t have Lexus dealerships. If I need parts, I will need to order from the states or Japan for instance. Most cars here are Toyota from Japan. I recently saw a 2014 GS450h for $12,000 and a 2016 RCF for $24,000 for sale here. No maintenance history usually here. Both are about 85,000 miles. This will be like a fun car to drive whenever I feel like. Do not need it for daily drive. Again I would not know the maintenance history and whether the hybrid battery has been replaced (I doubt it). I can only go with a mechanic and perform our own inspection. But most mechanics here probably don’t have experiences with these two models. They have experiences to repair other Lexus models though, mainly IS or RX.

which would you guys suggest to buy? By the way, the driving would be mostly city driving. Don’t really have a highway here. For the price difference, I am leaning towards the GS. But the RCF looks very attractive on the outside. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
@alainjc - Welcome aboard Club Lexus!

If you're leaning toward the GS - that's what I'd go with. Being a 2014 model GS450h you're considering with only 85k miles, the traction battery has much more life and miles remaining.

My 2018 GS450h came with 'Hybrid-related Component Coverage' for 8 Years/100K Miles - and the traction battery is known to perform like new well beyond 100k miles.

I really like my GS 450h - It's truly amazing! I think it performs like it was designed by NASA.

PS - Your post would be more appropriate if posted in the 4GS Hybrid Technology section of the forum . (Maybe a moderator will move it.)

Last edited by bclexus; 07-11-24 at 01:26 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-11-24, 01:37 PM
alainjc
7th Gear

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the price difference can help me to cover a lot of repairs costs when needed. Also I read that the low rpm performance is not so good for the RCF and I would be doing mostly city driving. That’s why I am leaning towards the GS450h. But I would be happy with either one. That’s why I am curious to know what you guys may suggest, especially based on reliability and repair perspectives.
Old 07-11-24, 02:07 PM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

I daily my RCF (20 m to work) and also take it on road trips. It has been a great car as long as you pack light. It's very comfortable and my best mpg was 29.
Old 07-11-24, 02:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts

RC F would be my choice based on your conditions you expressed.
Old 07-11-24, 04:03 PM
alainjc
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
RC F would be my choice based on your conditions you expressed.
Is it because the hybrid potentially has more things to go wrong and also relatively more difficult to repair by indy mechanics?
Old 07-11-24, 07:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is it because the hybrid potentially has more things to go wrong and also relatively more difficult to repair by indy mechanics?
The hybrid is pretty bullet-proof, but in your small country that doesn’t have Lexus dealerships, you'll be at the mercy of indy shop mechanics to figure out and deal with anything that may 'go wrong' - regardless of Lexus model. For me, that would be quite a harrowing thought - to own literally any brand vehicle in which there are no dealerships!

Of course, I guess owning something like a Bugatti would be even further out of thought - for lack of having parts readily available.

I'm curious to know which small country you call home.
Old 07-11-24, 08:47 PM
alainjc
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
The hybrid is pretty bullet-proof, but in your small country that doesn’t have Lexus dealerships, you'll be at the mercy of indy shop mechanics to figure out and deal with anything that may 'go wrong' - regardless of Lexus model. For me, that would be quite a harrowing thought - to own literally any brand vehicle in which there are no dealerships!

Of course, I guess owning something like a Bugatti would be even further out of thought - for lack of having parts readily available.

I'm curious to know which small country you call home.
I am currently in a small country in South America called Guyana. I come here for business for a few years. For countries like this, you don’t really have any brand’s official dealerships. Individual companies just import cars themselves and sell them. For me, I wouldn’t even buy a Mercedes or BMW here because not many mechanics know how to fix it. I have a few cars here, mainly Toyota. Hilux, Crown, old Landcruiser, etc. Toyota parts can be found here much easier and mechanics have more experiences with them. That’s the reason I am trying to get a Lexus (somewhat a Toyota). It is the urge to have a fun car. I can take my time to fix the car if I need to wait for parts from overseas.

Some people would import the more “expensive” cars here. And after driving it for a while, they sell it. But there will not be many buyers for those. And the price can be all over the place. Sometimes I can find deals much cheaper than the US for similar cars. But whatever people import or sell, that’s what we get to choose to buy normally.
The following 2 users liked this post by alainjc:
bclexus (07-12-24), Im2bz2p345 (07-15-24)
Old 07-12-24, 10:34 AM
amc83
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the gs for $12k is a steal. Maybe offer $10k?

Then change all fluids and I doubt you’ll have any problems with the car. Rock solid in my experience.
bclexus (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 10:44 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts

No the GS450 Hybrid is very reliable and checks many boxes as kind of a very special car. .

If the 2014 GS450h for $12,000 and a 2016 RCF, is not based on price? The RC F is more car, and more fun to drive. It's kind of confusion thought when you ask about 2 cars, one being double the price of the other, then say price wise you are leaning to the cheaper car. Confusing objective to me.
Old 07-12-24, 10:45 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 335 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah I forgot to add, I don't know anyone cross-shopping these two cars because they are so different.
The following 4 users liked this post by KennyFSU:
bclexus (07-12-24), bloodbean (07-13-24), Im2bz2p345 (07-15-24), jgscott (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 11:58 AM
alainjc
7th Gear

I am comparing the two because they are available to purchase here and I think both prices are good. Like I mentioned, we don’t get to choose all the makes and models here. I have no experiences with either cars. That’s why I am asking fellow members which car would be preferred based on my situation. For example, I can see the RCF be a fun car to drive around. But would it justify 2x the price? Will I still get the excitement factor if I go with the GS.

also the reliability and ease to repair are among the things that I consider too.
Old 07-12-24, 12:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I am currently in a small country in South America called Guyana. I come here for business for a few years. For countries like this, you don’t really have any brand’s official dealerships. Individual companies just import cars themselves and sell them. For me, I wouldn’t even buy a Mercedes or BMW here because not many mechanics know how to fix it. I have a few cars here, mainly Toyota. Hilux, Crown, old Landcruiser, etc. Toyota parts can be found here much easier and mechanics have more experiences with them. That’s the reason I am trying to get a Lexus (somewhat a Toyota). It is the urge to have a fun car. I can take my time to fix the car if I need to wait for parts from overseas.

Some people would import the more “expensive” cars here. And after driving it for a while, they sell it. But there will not be many buyers for those. And the price can be all over the place. Sometimes I can find deals much cheaper than the US for similar cars. But whatever people import or sell, that’s what we get to choose to buy normally.
There are no Lexus dealerships in Guyana, but there are in Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Chili and Argentina. So, it's not like you're in no man's land on the dark side of the moon...
Old 07-12-24, 01:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@alainjc - Fun car to drive!

Not sure what kind of fun your taste in a car is, but the GS 450h is no slouch - with enough horsepower and torque to very easily top 250 kph = 155 mph.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-12-24 at 03:40 PM. Reason: orthography
Im2bz2p345 (07-15-24)
Old 07-12-24, 01:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@alainjc - Maybe this will increase you heart rate and whet your appetite that a Lexus GS 450h is a fun car to drive!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-13-24 at 07:28 PM. Reason: orthography
Im2bz2p345 (07-15-24)

Quick Reply: Which to buy: GS450h or RCF