Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Feeling comfortable, but guilty …

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-24, 11:28 AM
RocketMan295
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Feeling comfortable, but guilty …

… as I sit here in my 2024 ES300h “idling” my hybrid system and running the AC full blast. My wife has a long drawn out meeting and I sit in the parking lot in my car. The ICE starts up about every 20 minutes for a couple of minutes, only to mildly disturb my blissful air conditioned waiting time. As an old time mechanic, I would never idle an ICE for any longer than a few minutes, especially with an AC compressor on line. I won’t even idle an ICE to stay warm in winter, within reason.

So here’s my question: good or bad? right or wrong? Any other hybrid owners succumb to this same pleasure?
Old 09-16-24, 01:48 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

Our A/C compressors are powered by the 288 vdc traction battery and always run at their best designed RPM
The Infernal (LOL) Combustion engine doesn't have to run at all. Glance into the engine compartment and notice
how compact the unit is. Conventional A/C compressors are powered by the accessory belt and when the car is
idling the compressor is rotating too slowly to efficiently create high side pressure. The A/C compressor on a regular
car was as large a home A/C unit to provide sufficient pressure. The hybrid system will start the IC engine to maintain
the battery as you noted. You are making fine use of the technology!
Old 09-16-24, 03:50 PM
RocketMan295
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Our A/C compressors are powered by the 288 vdc traction battery and always run at their best designed RPM
The Infernal (LOL) Combustion engine doesn't have to run at all. Glance into the engine compartment and notice
how compact the unit is. Conventional A/C compressors are powered by the accessory belt and when the car is
idling the compressor is rotating too slowly to efficiently create high side pressure. The A/C compressor on a regular
car was as large a home A/C unit to provide sufficient pressure. The hybrid system will start the IC engine to maintain
the battery as you noted. You are making fine use of the technology!
Thanks friend, I am beginning to shed some guilt! After enjoying well over an hour at “idle” I put it in Sport mode on the highway in order to “blow the carbon out” as was the custom back in the day. The car is amazing.

I have the feeling the compressor is an inverter style, similar to the latest residential styles of AC systems. Perhaps my favorite aspect of this whole hybrid thing is getting to learn (and relearn) a lot of electrical/mechanical things without getting my hands dirty!

Again, your input is much appreciated!
Old 09-16-24, 04:25 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 485 Likes on 303 Posts

Why feel guilty, it's a perk of the hybrid system. Idle and stay cool as much as you can. It's gotten me through some shorter meetings in the car.
Old 09-18-24, 09:40 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,050 Likes on 780 Posts

Actually it is not the idle (600-700 rpm). These engines when the MG1 charges the battery run at 1200 rpm.
Also, this engine has a variable oil pump. It can run on "idle" 1000 years with no issues. If you want to charge the battery fast, put the lever in D, with your left leg hold the brake hard, with your right led press the thrrotle to the metal for 6 seconds, release the throttle, wait 2 seconds, floor it again for 6 seconds...repeat until you see all the bars.
Old 09-19-24, 10:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Yeah you can run it it should be fine. the engine at that point is acting as a generator charging up your big battery to you can stay cool.

Just know if you're in an enclosed space the engine fumes can blow back in your windows, so keep windows closed and recirc on. and be mindful of others around you too. Since you say you are sitting in a parking lot.
The following users liked this post:
scubapr (09-19-24)