Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2013 RX450h rear driver side subtle clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
unebonnevi
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2013 RX450h rear driver side subtle clunking noise

Hi,

I have a 2013 RX450h, excellently maintained. I've started experiencing the rear driving side subtle "clunking" noise when driving. I have checked and made sure all things, e.g., spare tire, etc., are all secured. The struts looks pretty in good condition. No rush or no cracks. I checked to make sure all the bolts around the rear tires are not loose.

I am suspecting the bushings, the rubber pieces on the bar that goes across the rear side under the car. But they are like new. My car is around 89K miles.

Tips/hints are appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

My rear clunk ended up being the rear shocks. If they haven’t been replaced already, wouldn’t hurt.
The following users liked this post:
unebonnevi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Do you have tell tale signs of dampness [oil leak] on the rear shock. If yes then it needs to be replaced ... seems like a common problem.

If not, at this stage, take it to a suspension shop and usually they do a free determination of what is wrong. What ever they or you determine to be the root cause, it needs to be visually determined [play/movement] and it might require long levers.

Salim
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
unebonnevi
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do you have tell tale signs of dampness [oil leak] on the rear shock. If yes then it needs to be replaced ... seems like a common problem.

If not, at this stage, take it to a suspension shop and usually they do a free determination of what is wrong. What ever they or you determine to be the root cause, it needs to be visually determined [play/movement] and it might require long levers.

Salim
Thanks for the response. No leak whatsoever. All dry. I'll try replacing the bushings first. If that doesn't help, I might as well replace the rear struts. Both are fairly easy DIY job for the RX450h, as not having to deal with strut springs like the front ones. Shops charge too much, and I don't trust mechanics anymore -- typically overcharged and no guarantee of doing a good job, mainly from my personal experiences. Mechanics nowadays are on the clock, and quality is secondary to them. I have pretty much maintain my care through YouTube videos. The big maintenance are coming up at 100-120K miles, mainly spark plug change and serpentine belt/water pump/thermostat combo change.

Last edited by unebonnevi; Yesterday at 11:09 PM.