Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

**2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 04:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hello World, here comes the RX400h. When I drove it for about an hour in January I was stunned by the silence, the smoothness, and of course the acceleration. The deposit list has grown to over 11,000 and by release on April 15th should exceed 12,000. These folks haven't test driven the car and may have seen only a prototype in an autoshow on a pedestal if at all. When the rest of humanity gets the chance to drive this very futuristic blend of power they will be hooked like I was. Since the rear motor/generator adds power when needed and becomes a charging device when slowing down the drive format is AWD on demand. It has the Electronic Power steering like the new GS series has. This is needed here so that you get assist when the gas engine is turned off while stopping and short distance driving. The Air Conditioning is also powered electrically. There is no alternator. The V6 is detuned for maximum fuel efficiency. The V6 is operated at the optimum RPM for the situation. Since there is no accessory load on the Gas Engine it is slightly more fuel efficient when sustaining the speed. There are two sets of planetary gears sandwiched together that can make any effective gear ratio possible without jumping from cog to cog. When braking the RX400h under moderate situations the generators create the resistance necessary to slow the 400h down until the last 5 MPH when the friction brakes finish the job. Less brake wear and the energy for slowing down is recaptured and sent back to the battery to charge it. My favorite feature found on the new GS430 is the VDIM system. This very advanced stability system is light years ahead of its predecessor VSC. It is standard on the RX400h. This will make it superior in snow, slippery conditions and emergency maneuvers than the already excellent RX330 with VSC. I cannot describe adequately the confidence the driver will have with VDIM. The combination of these cutting edge technologies in a versatile package such as the RX make this quite a good value. We were told that there still is some Hybrid tax advantage for 2005 that will be reduce by 75% in 2006. Another reward for those who had the forsight to put their deposits down. The next Lexus Hybrid will be announced at the end of March/April which will be the high performance GS450h. The next Hybrid will be the IS and eventually all models will have a Hybrid version. Honda is the sole competitor in Hybrid technology and has a more limited system. The new Ford Escape which has given Ford so much pride is the Prius Gen 1 technology under license. Ford bought the plans from Toyota and makes their own parts but it is a 4 cylinder chain drive and two generations behind the Lexus. Eventually in about 50 years the availability of Gasoline will be very scarce. Hydrogen fuel cells do not combust the Hydrogen but they produce electricity much like a battery does. Batteries and Electric motors will be needed for a Hydrogen based transportation system. The Hybrid is the first steps in that direction. The atmosphere will not have the constant greenhouse gas emissions which are radically changing our planets weather systems. There finally is hope for humanity and it is called Hybrid. The Europeans are much more concerned about fuel costs as their per Liter cost is double to triple the US. The Black forest is a vestige of its former self from the acid rain damage. They need Hybrids. The Chinese have a taste of Capitalism and they want more. They are already feeling the enviromental consequences of more and more cars and buses and manufacturing byproducts. They need Hybrids. Hybrids don't emit Dioxin like Diesels do. What will they call our time in History? The Gasoline Age? This is the start of the Hybrid Age and things will never be the same again and that's a very good thing.
Very interesting read.

I also think that Hybrid's are a step in the right direction. This step is however temporary and as you pointed out, the real deal will be 100% battery driven cars in the future. I wonder how long this hybrid stage will last before the 100% battery stage............
Old 03-07-05, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Very interesting read.

I also think that Hybrid's are a step in the right direction. This step is however temporary and as you pointed out, the real deal will be 100% battery driven cars in the future. I wonder how long this hybrid stage will last before the 100% battery stage............
Hybrid technology is going to be used forever. Recapturing otherwise wasted energy is going to be more efficient for any kind of drivetrain, so when we get fuel cell cars (10-15 yrs?), they will be "hybrids" as well, since hybrid systems will give it vastly better efficiency.

If eventually we move to fully electric cars, they will still use most of "hybrid" components today, and most advances in hybrid technology will make fully electric cars available sooner than later.

So HSD is the future, and variation of the system will always be there. Just look at HSD today and see what is used - electric motors power the weels, car is driven by wire, complex system that charges batteries, etc, etc, etc, it is all already there.

However, before we could reach "fully" electric stage, we would have to find new energy source for creating all that electricity, which is currently not really here. And thats why fuel cells are researched as an way to get energy from renewable source that is also easy on enviroment. But once again, fuel cells will be hybrids as well.
Old 03-07-05, 07:40 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe solar power still has a long way to go. Line a solar panel with superconductive filament wires and build these panels into the roof line of the car and you've got some power harnessed.

Superconductors still have a long way to go. I haven't been following it but the potential is amazing. Imagine, also wrapping an electric motor with SC wires and the entire electrical system. No resistance = more power available.
Old 03-10-05, 10:57 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came accross this report of the RX400h from CNET today:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-5670....html?tag=next

What catched my eyes is the reported torque figure: 3,500 pound-feet at launch!! That is some tremendous torque!!

Makes me wonder what Lexus has done to improve the drivetrain to withstand that kind of torque. Any idea?
Old 03-10-05, 12:05 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

What catched my eyes is the reported torque figure: 3,500 pound-feet at launch!! That is some tremendous torque!!

Makes me wonder what Lexus has done to improve the drivetrain to withstand that kind of torque. Any idea?
In the future, I anticpate no drivetrain. Just electric motors at each wheel. Life's not that simple yet, but I suspect there's half shafts from the center electric motor to each wheel. Those have probably been beefed up.
Old 03-11-05, 02:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

BTW, when on subject.. I wrote this nice huge article on how fast RX400h passing times are and then my computer froze.

So, when you compare 50-70mph passing times, RX400h does it in 3.5 secs while SRX with 320hp and V8 does it in 4.5 secs :-). Every other competitor with exception of X54.8is is considerably slower as well, I could not find enough test info for 4.8is though. Numbers are from C&D tests. Of course, 400h gets some 30mpg while SRX gets 15 :-)

So there you go for what is RX400h all about.
Old 03-11-05, 05:00 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
I wrote this nice huge article on how fast RX400h passing times are and then my computer froze.
Ouch I feel your pain bro. I'd love to read your "nice huge article".

Here's another good new article of the RX400h in the meantime though:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1869
Old 03-11-05, 07:39 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every review i have seen/read have been awesome
Old 03-13-05, 11:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Ouch I feel your pain bro. I'd love to read your "nice huge article".

Here's another good new article of the RX400h in the meantime though:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1869
heh... There is no way I am going to research all of it again :-). In few short words, RX400h compares favorably with all V8 engined SUV's in terms of performance, even SRX which was considered pretty fast for SUV. Passing times, which are the most important performance measurment you can feel on your behind, are considerably better than anything, short of X5 4.8i,s which should be "similar", but 15k more expensive.

Of course, you also get at last 80% better MPG, even while driving fast, which is where RX400h makes most sense.

This is exactly why is Porsche looking into HSD, because it will not only help their enviromental stats but their performance as well.

When all things are taken into considertation, HSD boom will be pretty similar to diesel boom in Europe in late 90's and today. While saving gas was one of the big pluses for HSD/diesel (Prius), it became mainstream when people realized you gained in performance while saving gas, hence they were thus willing to pay significantly more for an diesel engine (and HSD in the future - $X400h, GS450h, etc).

I really find it important to stress out how HSD does not exclude diesel, and that in fact those two will be joined together in the future for the maximum benefits. Most people dont know that Toyota is the first company that started selling Hybrid Diesels, in their vans and trucks in Japan (it was paired with their mild-hybrid system, 1st gen) during 2004.
Old 03-18-05, 10:13 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

I have a questoin...are there any options on the RX400h or does it come fully loaded practically?
Old 03-21-05, 08:16 AM
Ultrasonic
Rookie

I think that it's fairly loaded. RSES is an option. I don't remember if it comes standard with the ML sound. Anyone know?
Old 03-21-05, 09:36 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

If you are on the west coast and waiting for a RX400H, the western area has made the Rear Entertainment System a option. We are currently in the process of contacting our customers to take preferences. If you are on a waiting list, then I strongly urge you to contact your salesperson to see where you are at in line because the allocation (ordering) is about to begin. April 15th is just around the corner!
Old 03-23-05, 02:36 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

I sort of have a dilema right now. A while back when I first put my name on the list for the 400h, I put it there to see if the demand for these cars would be high. Now that I see that alot of the pre-orders are already taken, I am wondering if I will be able to make any kind of profit on the car. My dealer contacted me a day or so ago asking about colors, options, etc, and I told him that I would get back to him. If I was to order this, what would be the most valued color combos and options? If anyone could give me some help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 03-23-05, 03:15 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you can make a profit - b/c you are paying msrp and sales tax on the car, and I don't think anyone will pay you: msrp + your orig sales tax + their new sales tax.

The dealers here are not in the business of marking up over MSRP, so you'd have a hard time making money off of the sale.
Old 03-23-05, 05:25 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

I wonder if anyone would want to buy my allocation time slot?

Quick Reply: **2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**