Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

**2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 07:35 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's up with the interior? no wood?!! I am disappointed at the somewhat cheap looking interior. I am not impressed with the new GS either. 2005 M45, here I come...
Old 01-06-04, 11:18 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That front bumper looks like it was pulled right off the Highlander
Old 01-07-04, 03:46 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default You've got to remember that.....

Originally posted by EvilStan
That doesn't seem to be correct since i can get around 26-27 MPG on the highway in my 2004 RX when i drive around the area of the speed limit.
......the hybrid gives better mileage in the city as opposed to a conventional vehicle which gives better mileage during highway driving, especially significant when driving at the "ideal" highway speed of 60 to 65mph. I once tested the fuel economy of my MDX at 2 am in the morning on a deserted freeway. I set the cruise at 60mph and drove 200 miles, filled the tank back up and calculated. I got 27.2 mpg!! (MDX is rated 17city/23highway)......However, by the same token, during pure city driving in heavy stop and go traffic my mileage drops like a stone and goes as low as 13mpg!!

Bottom line, what I'm trying to say is that the HIGHWAY MILEAGE benefit of the hybrid RX over the regular RX is going to be VERY VERY MINIMAL, if any, in real world driving.........However, in pure city driving you will see a fairly substantial difference. For instance, I'm sure your RX typically will give you around 17-18mpg in the city, whereas the hybrid would give you around 30 in pure city stop and go driving. So basically, it boils down to your driving needs. If you drive mostly in the city the cost benefit will be much greater than if you use your RX mostly for long distance highway trips.

That said, I still think this is a great technology, and will improve significantly over time as they make significant enhancements to increase operating efficiency, resulting in even better gas mileage. Another factor is cost. Once hybrids become more and more popular and the price difference between a regular vehicle and a hybrid is negligible, then it will make even more sense.

Last edited by vicpai; 01-07-04 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-07-04, 06:23 AM
j4ydubs
Driver

Originally posted by BrickHead
what's up with the interior? no wood?!! I am disappointed at the somewhat cheap looking interior. I am not impressed with the new GS either. 2005 M45, here I come...
I agree. Hopefully wood interior is an option.

John
Old 01-07-04, 06:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
Hybrid = enviromental conservation = don't kill the trees ?
Old 01-07-04, 10:13 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down

I agree that the 28mpg number seems very low with this hybrid technology and I for one cannot justify paying a premium for so little gain in mileage and unproven reliability over the conventional engine. Lexus seems to emphasize "performance" with this hybrid technology. I for one find the current performance quite adequate on the RX330 with the conventional engine and to me the RX is simply not a performance vehicle unless Lexus is trying to change that image.
Old 01-07-04, 03:43 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the 28mpg number seems very low with this hybrid technology
I agree, I believe the mileage should be higher to justify the at least predicted additional cost. Low 30's would be acceptable, and I am sure Lexus will get there before others. It needs a smaller engine and related weight adjustments, I bet they get there, go Lexus!
Old 01-07-04, 03:52 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Lexus will not be selling this car solely on its "Greenness". The synergy drive engines will be marketed also to someone who wants a higher performance powertrain.
Old 01-07-04, 04:15 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by YWW
I agree that the 28mpg number seems very low with this hybrid technology and I for one cannot justify paying a premium for so little gain in mileage and unproven reliability over the conventional engine. Lexus seems to emphasize "performance" with this hybrid technology. I for one find the current performance quite adequate on the RX330 with the conventional engine and to me the RX is simply not a performance vehicle unless Lexus is trying to change that image.
Toyota's main goal on this SU-HV1 platform is performance. The RX400H will keep the original V6, while other hybrids in the market get wimpy motors. The V6 coupled with the electric motor will give the RX400H V8-like performance. This is a smart decision by Toyota IMO, since nobody would pay a $3,000 premium for a slower RX. A hybrid is only good for the environment when people buy it.

The RX330 averages 19 mpg according to Consumer Reports. 28 mpg would be a 45% improvement, that's actually pretty good given the perfomance increase.

Toyota's hybrid technology has been proven reliable in its Prius.
Old 01-07-04, 05:52 PM
LexFather

Me likey! This thread is now stuck for easy viewing.
Old 01-08-04, 08:34 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

I'm not sold on the front bumpers but I think its a great idea whose time has come.

I probably would never buy a Prius (although I'm awe struck by the excellent packaging and real world usefulness) but I can't imagine why I wouldn't consider this vehicle if and when we replace our RX300.

You guys are getting too caught up in the 30+mpg idea. I rarely get my RX on the highway. As such, I average about 19mpg. I know the current RX330 gets slightly better mileage on the highway but I'd imagine city driving is about the same. An improvment to 29mpg would be huge. On top of that, I get more low end torque and the truck now probably accelerates as well (if not better) than a V8 X5.

Great work Toyota. Keep it coming. (Just dont' mess up the next IS
Old 01-08-04, 11:06 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

that front bumper blows! i don't like the horizontal slots cause it doesn't seem to match the vertical "waterfall" grill...other than that, seems like a winner to me...28mpg seems reasonable...
Old 01-08-04, 12:32 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up goooooooooooood

this is a good car. especially with a justifiable interior. and yes, the bumper does look highladner-ish
Old 01-09-04, 10:07 AM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i was at the Detroit autoshow. the lexus spokesperson said the RX400H produces 270HP and gets 36mpg city and 31 highway with about a $3000.00 premium. she seemed to know what she was talking about but didn't know if wood would be an option.
Old 01-09-04, 11:29 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by StrmRdr23
that front bumper blows! i don't like the horizontal slots cause it doesn't seem to match the vertical "waterfall" grill...other than that, seems like a winner to me...28mpg seems reasonable...
I don't like the horizontal slots on the bumper either. It just doesn't fit in the look. Maybe the production model will have a redesigned front bumper. I suppose the extra opening is needed to keep the electric motor cool, not just a design element.

Quick Reply: **2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**