Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

**2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-04, 09:41 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GS Doug
Something about not wanting to outshine the RX330, since the 330 is their big seller.
Makes you wonder why Lexus wouldn't want to sell as many as they could. The Prius is also in very high demand, and they could sell a lot more if they made more available. Maybe the extra premium they are charging does not fully cover the added cost of all the additional hardware and technology, so the profit margin is less than on the RX330. With a limited production run and availability, they still derive great publicity from introducing a "green" SUV and it brings lots of would-be customers into the showroom.
Old 03-04-04, 06:23 AM
GS Doug
Driver

Also, a waiting list makes the car seem like it's in high demand. All it takes is 3 customers per month to create a waiting list when your supply is 1 or 2 cars per month. Waiting lists create excitement and interest.
Old 03-04-04, 06:35 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What I read was that manufacturers of all brands are a little worried about the luxury hybrid sales. In the past, the name "Hybrid" suggests very high mileage. Since the target of the luxury hybrids is to accomplish the best of two worlds, (mileage and performance), they are not sure yet as to how the buying public will accept these. Honda is completely holding out on a hybrid model. They are in a wait and see mode.

You can question why the manufacturers would worry about this, but I think the answer lies in this thread. If you read back, (maybe I have the wrong thread where these comments are), people are commenting about the 28 miles per gallon the RX400H was initially rumored to get. Personally, I felt that if you could improve the performance AND increase the mileage from 20 to 28, that's a heck of a big deal. We are talking about a 20% improvement in mileage. But people here were complaining that it was too low. I can understand now why the manufacturers are worried about it. Now they have announced that the RX400H will get around 36 in town. Still have the improved performance, but now it's 16 mpg better. And it will be interesting to see what people think of that.

Before, hybrids were marketed as 50mpg plus vehicles. The luxury models will be much less, but better than the gas versions and no loss in performance. I personally think this is the best idea that the manufacturers can do, because we can have luxury, performance, and safety and still get excellent mileage with it. Instead of driving around town in a tin can that if you got hit in a Toyota Prius, I would not want to be in the car....

RickC
Old 03-04-04, 09:20 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Good points, Rick.

If the price of gas keeps going up, these vehicles are going to be HOT and Lexus will wish that they would have geared up to make more. If this is the case, they will eventually see to it that supply catches up with demand, assuming of course they will be able to make a decent profit on each one they sell. I remember reading the Car & Driver review on the Prius, and even they wondered how Toyota could sell a car with this much high technology for something in the low twenties.
Old 03-13-04, 12:01 PM
knolex2001
Driver

I didn't bother to read all 5 pages of comments on the RX400h, but Lexus has released a good bit of information on the car, particularly fuel mileage. THEY'VE rated it at 36 city/ 31 hwy. There is no difference in FWD or AWD mileage because AWD models will have ELECTRIC motors running the rear wheels.

Wood interior is probobly not on it because it wouldn't be environmentally correct.

No doubt, this vehicle will be in such limited supply, if you are the leaset bit interested, reserve a spot now!
Old 03-16-04, 11:29 AM
JRB
Pole Position

I read an article the other day that mentioned that Toyota intends on putting their hybrid technology in the Camry - I think it said for the 2006 model year. The Toyota executive was quoted as saying they want to start putting hybrids in more of their mainstream vehicles to get more of them out there amongst the public, and putting it in such a popular model would greatly increase the public's awareness and acceptance of these models. I was thinking if that's really the objective why would they want to limit their Lexus dealers' allocation of the new RX400h to just a couple per month? The RX is a pretty mainstream SUV and it seems to me that they could easily build and sell more of the hybrids to spread the word a little faster, since the car has already been engineered.
Old 03-16-04, 08:26 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I was told that the 400h would represent about 20% of overall RX production initially. The best way to create interest in a new product is to make it compelling in features and difficult to come by. They want this car to be a conversation piece.

Also, it represents a marked technological departure for the Lexus line. Expectations are going to be high among the Lexus clientelle for a car that delivers the goods. Lexus needs to get its service people up and running; they don't want to overwhelm them with cars that they're not very capable of taking care of.
Old 03-17-04, 06:57 PM
shortbear
Driver School Candidate

anyone know if it will cost more to maintain (ie. oil changes) the RX 400h vs the RX330? I am still debating which one to get.
Old 03-17-04, 07:13 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Originally posted by shortbear
anyone know if it will cost more to maintain (ie. oil changes) the RX 400h vs the RX330? I am still debating which one to get.
It shouldn't cost any more to maintain, at least for the first 100,000 miles.
Old 03-18-04, 04:41 PM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally posted by JRB
It shouldn't cost any more to maintain, at least for the first 100,000 miles.
I agree. You'll never know the difference in maintenance, and it'll probobly have a huge battery warranty like the Prius. The bigger difference, which I'm sure will be realized as quickly as 6 months down the road, is that the hybrid will maintain it's resale value even better than the 300 or 330.
Old 03-24-04, 12:57 AM
LexFather

Well, this is the world's first luxury hybrid, so they want to take it slow to learn as much as possible about how the car works during the daily grind as well as owner feedback. Lexus is not in need of sales, as it has been the best selling luxo brand 4 years running. Better safe than sorry. This is really an all new thing to the general public. Most people still think u got to plug in the Prius or it runs only on batteries. Hybrids and the innovative tech Toyota uses may confuse the average buyer. So to avoid confusion or a lost sale (b/c the consumer is scared to try something new) Toyota's hybrids will blend in with regular gasoline cars.

By 2010, Toyota has vowed to offer hybrids in all their car/SUV offerings! The extra price will more than offset the price saved in gas (if u drive a bunch).

I welcome this very responsible technology in vehicles they belong in. Why people want all these horsepower and huge engines in cars that are appliances is beyond me (looking at the competition).
Old 03-26-04, 10:31 PM
JRB
Pole Position

Default SUV Hybrid Preview: Lexus RX400h

From Autoweb.com:

http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...cle&aid=138939
Old 04-08-04, 03:29 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

An SUV with good gas mileage? That should be best news ever in auto history!
Now it's a "Luxury-Hybrid-SUV" from LEXUS; that says it all. I am very excited about this that I can't mod my GS any more for the sake of buying an SUV soon.
If Lexus is putting "Wood" in their hybrid cars, isn't that like shooting themselves in the foot? Aren't they trying to save "trees"?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 04-08-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 12:07 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

What size are these rims? P.S. I think Lexus needs to go back to rim design school
Attached Thumbnails **2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**-wka2003123148975_pv.jpg  

Last edited by msilverIS; 04-14-04 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 05:00 AM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally posted by msilverIS
What size are these rims? P.S. I think Lexus needs to go back to rim design school
Optional 18" for the hybrid. I think they look great.

Quick Reply: **2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**