Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

**2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 10:27 AM
Parkerton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, my dealer was telling me April 2005. But that there will be a drive event featuring the 400h in July of this year (Bay Area).

It's a little confusing, cause if you go to the Lexus corporate site, they still say the 400h is coming in 2004 in big bold letters.

Last edited by Parkerton; 06-23-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-23-04, 11:51 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

The official word is that the RX400H is delayed until April 2005 until further notice. They did not say what the reason for the delay is. There is a preview of the car next month during July. IMO: Lexus is just making sure there are no "bugs" in this car. They are perfectionists and like to "underpromise" and "overdeliver". I don't think that there is any kind of big problem or anything. But this is just my opinion.
Old 06-25-04, 10:29 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

I took my car in for service and the district manager was visiting our dealer. I asked him about the delivery on the RX400h. He said originally it was planned late Fall this year however it is now pushed back to next May. He said the reason is Toyota is having a hell of a problem meeting demands on the Prius (some dealers have backlogs of 9 to 12 months) and since many of the hybrid components on the 400h are the same as the Prius, getting enough hybrid parts to produce the 400h is a major concern. They decided to push the date back by 5 to 6 months to give the factory a chance to catch up on the Prius production as well as time to build up enough inventory to build the 400h. They anticipate a huge demand on the 400h and most dealers have long waiting list. Our dealer has 27 names on their list. The manager suggests attending the Lexus show coming up the next couple of months thruout the country to get the latest scoop on the 400h since it will be on display there.
Old 06-26-04, 04:56 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the Prius and the RX400h share any major parts. They are also made in different plants.

My guess is that the issue may be "packaging." Unlike the Prius which receives a small gas engine, the RX400h will have the same 3.3L V6 as in the RX330. There'll be very little room under the hood with the hybrid gears. Toyota engineers may be able to assemble the RX400h by hands, but mass-producing it efficiently might be the issue. Again this is just my guess.

Meanwile, I bet the RX400h is hurting the sale numbers of the V8 M-class and X5.
Old 08-04-04, 07:07 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

I just read this and talks about the 400h

Toyota Profit Up 29 Percent; Boosting Prius Output

Toyota says that the April-June quarter saw its profits jump by 29 percent. The income of about $2.6 billion came about as car sales that rose 10 percent from the year-before figure. Though the home market was soft, Toyota's North American sales rose 11 percent even with the exchange rate not in its favor. Toyota expects to sell 7.2 million vehicles in the current fiscal year, which ends next March 31. Separately, at a press conference in its hometown of Nagoya, Japan, Toyota said it would boost monthly Prius hybrid production from 10,000 to 15,000 units a month in order to meet demand from world markets, particularly the United Stated, where the original plan called for 36,000 units a year. The extra production will begin in January. The expansion of Prius production means Toyota will delay the on-sale date of its Lexus RX 400h hybrid by two months. The RX hybrid now is expected to go on sale in the U.S. in February of 2005.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...3&article=7384
Old 08-04-04, 09:20 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Just gives me more time to save for it.
Old 08-04-04, 10:05 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Arrow Toyota announces delay to SUV hybrid launch

In today's Wall Street Journal, it says Toyota finally announced officially that the RX400h launch will be delayed from this Sept to next Feb or March. It says the delay is "to allow engineers more time to evaluate the vehicle and to build up inventory to deal with expected strong demand". "To avoid repeating the problems encountered with the Prius, the Japanese auto maker says it is going to try to build up inventory of the Lexus RX400h before its launch." Toyota spokesman in CA said "we'd rather have enough inventories out there than having people wait".

"Toyota's US sales unit said it expects to sell 24,000 RX400h a year. Given Prius popularity, it believes it can sell more. The Toyota spokeman said the delay should be a welcome relief for the engineers who have been pushed to keep the end-of-the-year deadline. Toyota engineers have been developing another gas-electric vehicle, a hybrid version of the Toyota Highlander SUV, in addition to putting finishing touches on the Lexus hybrid."
Old 08-09-04, 07:44 AM
trs23
Driver School Candidate

The USA Today had an article as well about the RX400h a week ago or so. (page 2 of the money section).

Gave 3 reasons for delay:

1. The preorders are way ahead of expectations. Over 8,000 already and they were only planning on shipping 24,000 the first year. The delay will give them more time to build inventory so that its not like the prius.

2. Give the engineers more time to work out any bugs that have developed.

3. Allows them to call it a 2006 model since it comes out after Dec. If it was launched in Dec it would be a 2005.
Old 08-09-04, 08:08 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as they release it as a 2006 model I will go ahead with my plan. I am first in line getting one from my dealer, and I don't won't it if it's released in April as a 2005. I would just as soon wait until Fall at that point to get the later year.

Good news to hear they plan to release it as an '06.

RickC
Old 08-10-04, 10:06 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Lightbulb

I just thought of another good reason for the delay in this introduction. Both Bush and Kerry are proposing $4000 and $5000 tax credit for people who buy hybrid vehicles as compared to the current $1500. If the tax credit would indeed increase, it would definitely tickle the interest of many potential buyers. I know I will jump in if that happens. Just my thought.
Old 08-10-04, 10:42 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by YWW
I just thought of another good reason for the delay in this introduction. Both Bush and Kerry are proposing $4000 and $5000 tax credit for people who buy hybrid vehicles as compared to the current $1500. If the tax credit would indeed increase, it would definitely tickle the interest of many potential buyers. I know I will jump in if that happens. Just my thought.
Good point but I think the majority of this thread has been that there will be an excessive demand anyway so I don't think Lexus would be delaying it just to further the demand ...unless their production will be bumped up significantly more than the additional 4 months (Nov-->Feb) could normally produce.
Old 08-10-04, 02:16 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by YWW
Whoa, it's a writeoff, not a credit, because you can offset against your tax liablity. Currently, you can write off a hybrid to lower your taxable income.
Old 08-11-04, 03:54 AM
RickC
Driver

Originally posted by meanboy
Whoa, it's a writeoff, not a credit, because you can offset against your tax liablity. Currently, you can write off a hybrid to lower your taxable income.
I'm no tax accountant, but doesn't a credit also offset your tax liability and lower your taxable income?
Old 08-11-04, 08:38 AM
Trexus
Forum Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, a tax credit reduces your tax liability dollar for dollar. As oppose to a deduction which only reduces your overal tax liability by a percentage amount.
Old 08-11-04, 08:47 AM
RickC
Driver

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

RickC

Quick Reply: **2006 RX400h offical thread with pics**