Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Lexus to stretch flagship sedan; LS 460 also will offer industry's first hybrid V-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 07:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
At this point, LS460 short wheel base seems more likely for me, maybe in 08. I'm happy they're making a V8+hybrid, but as I' ve said before, I'm not 100 % on the Lexus hybrids yet, untiI I get to drive one. The LS600hL will probably be fully loaded & pricey too.
come on, go all the way. from what i think the ls460hl will be fast too, no reason not to get it. i won't get the car for the longer wheel base, but for the added power (if it's good of course)
Old 04-19-05, 08:15 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess development and production costs for two wheelbase versions aren't that high. I would normally say one is enough, but because MB, BMW, Audi, and Jag all have different lengths, (and maybe even the Phaeton, although I can't remember), I think Lexus is smart to go this route as well.

In response to one of the previous posts, I thought the article makes it sound as if there will be both SWB and LWB.

Audi has a LWB version of its A6. Only sold in China. I wonder why companies don't have two wheelbase lengths for more cars other than just the large sedans... One would think that since the entry and midsize car markets are larger, they'd more easily recoup costs.
Old 04-19-05, 08:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
I guess development and production costs for two wheelbase versions aren't that high. I would normally say one is enough, but because MB, BMW, Audi, and Jag all have different lengths, (and maybe even the Phaeton, although I can't remember), I think Lexus is smart to go this route as well.

In response to one of the previous posts, I thought the article makes it sound as if there will be both SWB and LWB.

Audi has a LWB version of its A6. Only sold in China. I wonder why companies don't have two wheelbase lengths for more cars other than just the large sedans... One would think that since the entry and midsize car markets are larger, they'd more easily recoup costs.
Yup, and this will help increase sales in Europe as well, where SWB and LWB cars are needed. Wow 600hl, so the power of a V-10 6.0 liter with V-6 fuel economy The LS is already near swiftest in class with the lowest power rating.

Lexus did promise the new LS will change the game like the 1989 model.

Are we close to the$80 or $90,000 Lexus
Old 04-19-05, 09:12 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yup, and this will help increase sales in Europe as well, where SWB and LWB cars are needed. Wow 600hl, so the power of a V-10 6.0 liter with V-6 fuel economy The LS is already near swiftest in class with the lowest power rating.

Why are SWB and LWB needed in Europe?
Old 04-19-05, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

with lexus working on their 100k super car, having a 90k flagship isn't anything surprising. to be honest, the current ls430 flagship fully loaded at around 70k i think its too much of a bargain for flagship. they can put more stuff on that car for higher price and people will still buy
Old 04-19-05, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Why are SWB and LWB needed in Europe?
Smaller car Parking and variety are big in Europe, its rare to see a car with only 1 way to do things.. Many want the prestige of the big boy class but don't need all the room. So a SWB is perfect. Most LWB are only 50-100lbs heavier so there is pretty much no gain in preformance though.

Maybe Richie can chime in?
Old 04-19-05, 11:00 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest comparo from Road & Track...Lexus is sadly left out...but not for long!!

Audi A8 L vs. BMW 745Li vs. Jaguar XJ8 L vs. Mercedes-Benz S500 vs. Volkswagen Phaeton V8:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2151

BTW, the finishing order is as follows:
1. BMW 745Li
2. Audi A8 L
3. Jaguar XJ8 L
4. Volkswagen Phaeton V8
5. Mercedes-Benz S500

The BMW won despite being given the lowest scores in ride, interior styling, exterior styling and ergonomics (things that actually count for a LWB car, you know). Just goes to show you where R&T's bias is.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 04-19-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 11:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Latest comapro from Road & Track...Lexus is sadly left out...but not for long!!

Audi A8 L vs. BMW 745Li vs. Jaguar XJ8 L vs. Mercedes-Benz S500 vs. Volkswagen Phaeton V8:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2151

BTW, the finishing order is as follows:
1. BMW 745Li
2. Audi A8 L
3. Jaguar XJ8 L
4. Volkswagen Phaeton V8
5. Mercedes-Benz S500

The BMW won despite being given the lowest scores in ride, interior styling, exterior styling and ergonomics (things that actually count for a LWB car, you know). Just goes to show you where R&T's bias is.
Wow, great link.
Amazing, the Benz S-class has never come CLOSE to winning a comparison. It even lost to the OLD LS 400 several years ago (with the new bodystyle). And people buy them in droves.

I cannot believe the chose the 7, the Audi or Jag should have been #1.
Old 04-19-05, 11:55 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Latest comparo from Road & Track...Lexus is sadly left out...but not for long!!
Okay Lexus is actually mentioned on page 6, regarding the Phaeton, "A lovely car with plenty of features, maybe its name is its biggest shortcoming (instead, imagine a Wolfsburg as VW's Lexus)".
Old 04-29-05, 04:13 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Default Another day, another rendering from a magazine

This time from the latest issue of the Holiday Auto magazine.
Thought I'd post it just for the heck of it.
Doesn't look bad IMO. Fits the L-finesse theme quite nicely.

Enlarged and cropped for easier view:
Attached Thumbnails Lexus to stretch flagship sedan; LS 460 also will offer industry's first hybrid V-8-ls600h.jpg  
Old 04-29-05, 04:26 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Hot Damn!
It does follow theme
looks very agressive!
Old 04-29-05, 04:56 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

From Best Car Magazine (Japan)

the new Celsior (LS)
Will have a base engine of 4.5L or 4.6L
Might have a 5.0L engine in the "GT" model

Old 04-29-05, 04:59 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MGS4
From Best Car Magazine (Japan)

the new Celsior (LS)
Will have a base engine of 4.5L or 4.6L
Might have a 5.0L engine in the "GT" model
Um this article and rendering are really old though.
Old 04-29-05, 06:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

This time from the latest issue of the Holiday Auto magazine.
Thought I'd post it just for the heck of it.
Doesn't look bad IMO. Fits the L-finesse theme quite nicely.

Enlarged and cropped for easier view:
Not enough details, but I won't be disappointed if it looks like that, but so far, we have never had an accurate rendition from these mags yet based on our experience with the new GS & IS before they were unveiled . . .
Old 04-29-05, 06:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I couldn't find it, but there's that rendering of the future LS with light blue...plus the Motor Trend pics..an L-Finessed LS keeping the original LS + current LS design elements.

Quick Reply: Lexus to stretch flagship sedan; LS 460 also will offer industry's first hybrid V-8