Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Is the 400h worth the $$$ over the 330?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 12:57 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the 400h worth the $$$ over the 330?

I was looking at a truck to replace my Toyota Tundra and saw that I would be spending over $40K on a new pickup truck. Then I decided I would rather just get an RX.
The question is:
Originally Posted by the Question

is it worth getting the 400h?
I drive to and from New York City daily so gas consumption is an issue. I don't like the pain at the pump with the guzzlers, but is it worth the extra money for the gains? How would the 400h improve my commute (and around the town with the family) rather than the 330?

I really don't know...
Old 04-22-05, 01:28 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope..........not worth it! Checkout the article on CNN Money. You will only be saving $314 in gas per year on the 400h vs. the regular RX330. You decide........... 400h MSRP:$50k
Old 04-22-05, 01:32 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm convinced that you don't buy the RX 400h for the gas savings, you buy it for the improved performance and low-end torque. I don't know if that's worth it either.
Old 04-22-05, 02:15 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayskinner
I'm convinced that you don't buy the RX 400h for the gas savings, you buy it for the improved performance and low-end torque. I don't know if that's worth it either.
If you are only concern about horsepower and torque....wait for the next model RX350. Bigger engine I heard 3.5L. Not sure how many horses though..........I would hope is 300hp!!
Old 04-22-05, 02:40 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is worth it, not from a fuel savings perspective, but because of the cost of the extra items that need to be put into the car and the fact that you are helping to save the environment.

I am also a big fan of conservation, and regenerative braking to me is the best thing to happen to the automobile since it was invented. That's why I'm a huge fan of hybrids. Sure there are cars/trucks that get better fuel economy, but they are still wasteful and could do much better WITH a hybrid powertrain.

I wouldn't buy the RX400h because of the high price, but then again, I wouldn't buy the RX330 for the same reason. I would rather sacrifice the luxury and beauty for the lower-cost and more utilitarian Highlander.
Old 04-22-05, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
If you are only concern about horsepower and torque....wait for the next model RX350. Bigger engine I heard 3.5L. Not sure how many horses though..........I would hope is 300hp!!
400h is basically V8 power at 30mpg. Thats very simplistic but so true. No compromises.
Old 04-22-05, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Yes, don't forget the increased perfomance of this vehichle. ANd I think that the resale will be INCREDIBLE since the deman is already very, very high for this car.

You might be able to sell it in 2-3 years for 40k, no joke
Old 04-22-05, 04:42 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes, don't forget the increased perfomance of this vehichle. ANd I think that the resale will be INCREDIBLE since the deman is already very, very high for this car.

You might be able to sell it in 2-3 years for 40k, no joke
Actually, the resale value is bad. Cause' you gotta change the battery packs at 100k miles. Battery alone will cost you $4,000-$5,000k.
Old 04-22-05, 11:03 PM
2004RX330
Rookie

Actually, the resale value is bad. Cause' you gotta change the battery packs at 100k miles. Battery alone will cost you $4,000-$5,000k.
If thats the case then all the gas saving money is gone to water cause you need the extra battery money as compared to reguar 330!!
Old 04-23-05, 03:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

LOL, that is not true at all, wtf? Warranty is 8 yrs or 100,000 miles and batteries are built to last for life of the vehicle (400,000 miles if I remember correctly).

Prius's are holding their value awesomly.

I suggest that you check the facts before you post things like that, it gives bad impression to the people - was that intent?
Old 04-23-05, 05:57 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the 400h worth the $$$ over the 330?

Not for me, I'll let someone else pay for the technology development then get one once they put the wood back in, and the prices drop, somewhat!

Last edited by parula; 04-23-05 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 07:18 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a rapidly changing technology. Resale is going to be a killer.
Old 04-23-05, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by parula
Not for me, I'll let someone else pay for the technology development then get one once they put the wood back in, and theprices drop somewhat!
it will never be cheaper than this for the customer, end of story. For Toyota - yes, they will make more money eventually, but since when did V8 version of any car become cheaper?

Just look at GS430, same engine and 3rd gen is fairly more expensive... Why would GS450h be less expensive than GS430 EVER? It will go faster, and get 30mpg, and it should be cheaper? :-). You might be able to get better offer or to get it with less options, but it will never be cheaper than V8.

As to the resale - you think 30mpg SUV is going to lose resale value? Forget about any other advantage, gas is up to $3 and you think that between V8 15mpg SUV and 400h 30mpg someone will give more money for V8? Absolutly no way, if enough RX's get produced, nobody would ever buy an used V8 but with production limited to 24k per year, RX's will have great value.

Just check OLD model prius values - old car, old looks, old technology, 4yr old car with 60,000 miles on odo is woth $16,000. Thats amazing considering how much better new prius is for only 20k.
Old 04-23-05, 11:14 AM
LexFather

Used Prius are being sold for 30k or the same price people bought it for. Gas is going up. Only 24k of these will be sent to the USA. There are ALREADY 1/2 spoken for.

The resale value of this vehicle will be tremendous. The RX 330 is already the best selling in class by far. What the 400h does is extend on the RX 330s success, more power, better economy, bascially the same look inside and out.

Watch my prediction everyone, a 2-3 year old RX 400h will be sold near 40k.

The battery is no maintenace and lasts the life of the vehicle. it recharges through braking
Old 04-23-05, 05:51 PM
Husker4the
Lead Lap

Just back from a test spin ... I was VERY impressed and I am one of the people who is a little bit of a doubter.

It definitely felt a little heavier and the steering was a little softer (in a good way). The CVT transmission is a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement over the 330 ... at least my 330. It was very smooth. I thought the black interior looked very sharp with the aluminum accents. The salesman said that there are already plans to put wood trim in the 400h in the near future. There is a nice little message center under the speedometer as well ... can see the power balance (b/t engine and electric batteries) among other things (mpg, etc) ... I didn't mess with it too much. You can feel the brakes being regenerated as you slow, but it's nothing alarming or anything at all ... it's almost like a little pulse you can feel in the brake pedal. I didn't think the ride was quite as nice as the 330, but still nice. Makes sense since it's a little heavier I suppose. Definitely quicker and more responsive than the 330.

I don't care for the shape of the fog lamps compared to the 330, but do like the fact they're HID. I also don't care for the rims as much as my chromed 18s ... wonder if you could still just put those on anyhow? Otherwise if I hadn't just purchased my RX in January, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy a 400h. To me the smoothness of the CVT transmission was enough in itself Maybe that says more about the transmission of the 330 than it does the CVT. I'm almost wishing I wouldn't have test driven the 400h b/c now my mind is racing thinking about wanting one..

Quick Reply: Is the 400h worth the $$$ over the 330?