Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Catastrophic hybrid failure on RX400

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05 | 01:03 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
People who don't want to pay the inflated prices for diesel. Here in CA Diesel is up to $0.40 more per gallon than Premium Unleaded. Those who dislike the lingering smell of diesel on their hands and clothing after a fill up and those who take frequent short trips around town are a few things that come to mind.
I could see your point if the cost of a hybrid was anywhere close to the cost of the non-hybrid equivalent. The increased gas mileage is not worth the higher initial cost.
Old 10-18-05 | 01:07 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course, reason it is not HUGE issue is that people find used parts and use them, same as old Prius owners able to find battery packs on the junk yard for 500$ installed as supposed to buying new for 6,000$ w/o installation
When you replace your battery pack, it will be because it will no longer hold a charge. The battery pack in the junk yard may no longer be able to hold a charge. If that's the case, it would be like replacing a bald tire with another bald tire.
Old 10-18-05 | 03:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmahamm
When you replace your battery pack, it will be because it will no longer hold a charge. The battery pack in the junk yard may no longer be able to hold a charge. If that's the case, it would be like replacing a bald tire with another bald tire.
actually, I am talking about real life situation when user changed his 250,000 miles prius battery for 500$ and is still going strong...

And in fact, modern diesels such as ML320CDI costs exactly the SAME as RX400h Hybrid.
Old 10-19-05 | 12:48 PM
tomd
Rookie

Default from life

Originally Posted by spwolf
I really have no idea from where would you pull that info at all..
Actually that info comes from over 30 years of of being an auto enthusiast, and learning as much as I could about all cars and associated technologies. Saying that diesels *don't* have a history of reliability is just ignoring reality.
Old 10-19-05 | 12:54 PM
tomd
Rookie

Default it's still new

Originally Posted by SGT
I have a 1985 Benz 300D Turbo Diesel which has 205,000 miles on it and the engine is still going strong.
And it probably has another 295,000 mi left in it. As a member of the Mercedes Club of America I constantly meet members with over 200,000 mi on their cars and engines. How much you want to bet that NO Hybrid/original engine will EVER see 200,000 mi?
Old 10-19-05 | 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tomd
Actually that info comes from over 30 years of of being an auto enthusiast, and learning as much as I could about all cars and associated technologies. Saying that diesels *don't* have a history of reliability is just ignoring reality.
which is really all good and cool, but when you say diesel, you are talking about old school tanks. When you say how diesel is more proven than hybrid, I am telling you about new common rail diesels with all alloy design, common rail pumps at 1.6-1.8MBar and nice crackable turbochargers. I know from experience since I work at Toyota/Hyundai dealership, I deal with modern turbodiesels on daily basis. You probably never saw one or rode in it.

I just showed you an example of owner with 250,000 miles when his battery failed. Petrol engine had no extra costs except for major tuneup at 200,000. Still going fine.

New turbo diesels will probably have a lot more problems up to 250,000 miles than hybrid.
Old 10-19-05 | 07:07 PM
Lexus_Jim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jhburke
I wanted to tell the story of my 4 month old RX400h with about 5900 miles:

Last week, with no warning, the car stopped suddenly as I was accelerating from a stop. I heard a loud "clunk" from under the hood, and a lot of warning lights came on (HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE, VSC SYSTEM FAILURE). The engine was still running (at fairly high RPM) but the car would only move about 2 mph (I think it was moving from the rear-wheel electric motor only.

After waiting 2 1/2 hours for the Lexus/AAA tow truck to arrive, we flatbedded the car to the Lexus dealer. It was late in the day, and the guy who took the hybrid classes had gone home already. The next morning the service guy called me and said two Lexus engineers were flying in from somewhere and the dealership was told not to touch the car until they arrived. I'm guessing nobody has had to repair this problem yet.

After 8 days, the car has been fixed. There was an internal short in the inverter, requiring replacement of the inverter, hybrid cooling system, and battery pack.

The dealership said this was one of the most expensive repairs they ever performed. The cost of the parts alone would be well over $10,000! Fortunately, the car seems to be running fine.

It is very disappointing, of course, for a four-month car to suffer such a severe failure. I have no complaints about Lexus service, however. Thank goodness the hybrid system has an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty! I thought about demanding a longer warranty, but 8/100000 seems pretty good.

Bottom line--I don't think I would buy a hybrid which was out of warranty. Maybe I'm slitting my own throat when it comes time to sell mine.

John
Sorry you had a problem with your car. It is really disappointing when you have a problem like this with a new car.

However it hardly was a Catastrophic hybrid failure on RX400 . You had a problem with your car, not a disaster of some kind.

As far as some of the other replies are concerned, drawing the conclusion that hybrids are undependable based on one report of an electrical problem is a bit of a stretch.

My two cents.

Jim
2002 BMW M5
2002 SC430
2006 RX400h

Last edited by Lexus_Jim; 10-19-05 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-05 | 09:05 PM
jhburke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus_Jim
Sorry you had a problem with your car. It is really disappointing when you have a problem like this with a new car.

However it hardly was a Catastrophic hybrid failure on RX400 . You had a problem with your car, not a disaster of some kind.

Jim:

Of course. No lives were lost. I simply meant "catastrophic failure" to mean "complete and utter failure" of the hybrid system which practically required compete replacement of the hybrid system (inverter, cooling system, and battery). I guess I'm using the term catastrophic in the technical sense, not the New Orleans sense.

On the other hand, if Toyota has to pay for many of these repairs, it could be a "catastrophe" for them. Fortunately, it seems like a rare occurrence. I'm not trying to draw undue attention to myself, but I wanted to report on a type of hybrid failure which I have never seen described before (at least not in these forums). Again, Lexus took good care of me, and I'm satisfied.

John

2006 Lexus RX400h
2002 Audi Allroad
Old 10-19-05 | 11:27 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Default Enough on "Catastrophic"

"Lexus took good care of me, and I'm satisfied."

I think John had an unfortunate experience with his 400h and we (including myself) probably should get away from the "catastrophic" debate as that is just semantics. None of us would wish to have this occur and it in all probability it will not occur with any regularity. John points out the important part which is given a problem of some magnitude, Lexus stepped up and is taking care of the situation.
Old 10-20-05 | 05:48 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Hi Lexus_Jim, did you get your RX at Dublin? I think I met you on the day you took delivery of your car, I think back in August?
Old 10-20-05 | 05:39 PM
Lexus_Jim
Driver School Candidate

Hi JZA80MHU38. Yes I did get my car in August in Dublin. Do you have a Supra?
Old 10-21-05 | 07:54 AM
andye39s
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus_Jim
Hi JZA80MHU38. Yes I did get my car in August in Dublin. Do you have a Supra?
Lexus_Jim, I've been wondering if there are other M5 owners that also own a 400h (or 400h owners who also own an M5 ). 03 Beast and 06 400h here

I think the M5 and the 400h are at the two extreme ends - the M5 begs to be driven, the 400h begs to be driven gently which will reward you with exception gas mileage. My average since new is 25.6MPG, 2200 miles on the car. I do occasionally open it up in the 400h, just to feel the power. Dual personality, more so than the M5 I think.

Actuall, our garage is very similar - instead of an SC430 convertible, we (my better half) also have a VW Cabrio. No no I'm not comparing the VW Cabrio to the SC430

Sorry for getting OT. Just excited to meet another M5/400h owner
Old 10-21-05 | 01:03 PM
mmahamm
Driver

What is most educational to me about this particular hybrid failure is this: I always thought that if you had a hybrid, and the electric motor failed, then what you would end up with is basically a non-hybrid with some extra hardware in it that doesn't get used. But apparently, at least in this case, the hybrid system is so tightly coupled that you can't limp along with only gasoline power--you can't even limp along.

That was educational.
Old 10-21-05 | 03:17 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Hi Lexus_Jim,

BINGO! Yes I am that guy. We took delivery of the car late August and that's a surprise present for my wife. So far she has put 4200 miles in it already. I guess that means she really loves it. How's yours so far?

We were thinking about driving it to Bloomington tomorrow for the game, but given the weather, maybe we will just stay home.
Old 10-22-05 | 08:05 AM
Lexus_Jim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andye39s
Lexus_Jim, I've been wondering if there are other M5 owners that also own a 400h (or 400h owners who also own an M5 ). 03 Beast and 06 400h here

I think the M5 and the 400h are at the two extreme ends - the M5 begs to be driven, the 400h begs to be driven gently which will reward you with exception gas mileage. My average since new is 25.6MPG, 2200 miles on the car. I do occasionally open it up in the 400h, just to feel the power. Dual personality, more so than the M5 I think.

Actuall, our garage is very similar - instead of an SC430 convertible, we (my better half) also have a VW Cabrio. No no I'm not comparing the VW Cabrio to the SC430

Sorry for getting OT. Just excited to meet another M5/400h owner
I really like the combination of the BMW M5 and the Lexus RX400h as well.

Now I'm going to go way OT but many people probably don't know why we're so excited about the BMW M5 and I want to let them know. How about some quotes and stats.....

"The fastest production sedan on the planet."
Road and Track, March 2000

"... the M5 is as close to faultless as any car I've driven. Set the bar as high as you like, this thing will clear it. Unbelievable!
--Jeff Karr - Motor Trend
Horsepower: 400 @ 6600 RPM
Torque: 369 @ 3800 RPM
Redline: 7000 RPM
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Performance:
(Motor Trend, Road and Track, Car and Driver issues: March 2000) The M5's performance, compared to any production vehicle, is nothing short of stunning. Compared to any other 4 door sedan in the world, it is simply unmatched.
0-60mph: 4.7 seconds (faster than a '00 Corvette)
0-100 mph: 11.4 seconds (faster than a Jaguar XKR)
0-100-0 mph: 15.8 seconds (unmatched by any production sedan)
Quarter Mile: 13.2 seconds at 107.4 mph (quicker than an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante)
Top Speed: 157mph (limited); approx 187mph with limiter removed (faster than Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R).
Braking: 60-0mph: 129 feet; 70-0mph: 156 feet (shorter than a Porsche 911 Carrera 4)
Cornering - 300' skidpad: 0.90g (better than a Ferrari F355 Spider)
Slalom: 64.7 mph (faster than A Lamborghini Diablo)

More Quotes

"... the best and most consistently enjoyable sport sedan the world has ever known."
Motor Trend, March 2000

"On the track, the M5 is hunkered down and grips the asphalt with confidence and composure. The instant-on electronic throttle response and the precise manual gearbox will bring a smile to any driver."
Road and Track, March 2000

"For people who love cars, the M5 is quite simply the most desireable sedan in the world at any price. What more can we say?"
Car and Driver, March 2000

"Without sounding like a broken record, this is the one car to beat, faster, sharper, not to mention safer, and more luxurious then anything on the market, the best sports sedan in the world then, the best sports sedan now, and maybe even forever."
Motor Week

"The new BMW M5 is simply the best."
European Car, June 2000

All right. Enough about BMWs We'll get back to Lexus. We really love the SC430 - my wife's ride. It is the best convertible we've every had and we've had some really nice ones. And the shared RX400h is a superb automobile that I am growing founder of every time I drive it. We love them all.

Quick Reply: Catastrophic hybrid failure on RX400