Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

400h is THAT fast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 10:30 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 400h runs only in part time AWD correct? That would make more sense then I suppose.
Old 06-05-06, 11:12 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Explain. My understanding was that battery gains its power from braking. So if you were to drive on the highway alongtime and not brake enough, wouldnt that eventually exhaust the battery?
I'm not sure where you got your info on the 400h, but the primary battery charger is the gasoline engine. It does use the electric motor as a generator to assist in braking, but that is usually only a minor source for charging. If I sit in a traffic jam for a long time (as I did recently due to a wreck ahead) the engine shuts down and the airconditioner, power steering, and drive use the battery power. The engine only starts when the battery level is low, then runs only long enough to recharge the battery. In the 1 hour jam, the engine ran for less than 5 minutes. Instead of the engine overheating as several did, it actually cooled down to well below operation temperature and I burned virtually no gasoline sitting and waiting, so I created no smog or CO2. I still averaged over 26 mpg for the trip - I wonder what the guy in the Explorer behind me got?
Steve
Old 06-05-06, 11:21 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The 400h runs only in part time AWD correct? That would make more sense then I suppose.
The 400h AWD drive system is only in AWD when needed for operation, just like virtually all of the existing systems designed for street use. The logic of when the 400h is in AWD drive is different from vehicles that have mechanically driven AWD. While the mechanical systems are activated by wheel slippage, the 400h computer will add the rear power when needed for a variety of reasons including to help acceleration. The power of the rear electric motor is added to the engine and front electric motor so for rapid acceleration, the 400h selects AWD drive.

There is a FWD drive model available, and unlike most vehicles with AWD drive options, the AWD drive version is faster.

Steve
Old 06-05-06, 08:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure where you got your info on the 400h, but the primary battery charger is the gasoline engine. It does use the electric motor as a generator to assist in braking, but that is usually only a minor source for charging. If I sit in a traffic jam for a long time (as I did recently due to a wreck ahead) the engine shuts down and the airconditioner, power steering, and drive use the battery power. The engine only starts when the battery level is low, then runs only long enough to recharge the battery. In the 1 hour jam, the engine ran for less than 5 minutes. Instead of the engine overheating as several did, it actually cooled down to well below operation temperature and I burned virtually no gasoline sitting and waiting, so I created no smog or CO2. I still averaged over 26 mpg for the trip - I wonder what the guy in the Explorer behind me got?
Steve
Haha and explorer uses a gallon just to start itself...and theyre note even powerful.

Well I was reading about synergy drive on the Lexus website awhile back. Guess I didnt quite get it or they didnt explain it well. I was staring at my friend's Prius dash screen and was trying to figure out how the power was transferring and the battery charging while we are on the highway. Good to know.
Old 06-05-06, 08:51 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldcajun

There is a FWD drive model available, and unlike most vehicles with AWD drive options, the AWD drive version is faster.

Steve
yeah that is interesting. Manual transmissions help since they dont anticipate wheel slippage thus allowing you to shoot right off your starting line....I love having a 5 speed. it is significantly faster than my previous Legacy that was an auto. Not to get too off topic but I test drove an automatic 330XI and the revs went real high and nothing happened. I think BMW needs a little more work on their all wheel drive vs. Audi who really has that refined. Havent driven an automatic Subaru with more than 160 horses so I wouldnt know.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 06-05-06 at 09:03 PM.