Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 01:23 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Hidden buttons
Attached Thumbnails GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)-p4110701.jpg  
Old 04-13-06, 01:24 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Engine bay 1
Attached Thumbnails GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)-p4110713.jpg  
Old 04-13-06, 01:25 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Engine Bay 2
Attached Thumbnails GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)-p4110712.jpg  
Old 04-13-06, 06:25 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good review and it highlights the difference...

Originally Posted by ChuH
Finally got to test drive the GS450h. I have some pictures but will post tomorrow as my camera is at the office. All the recent posted pictures are the same.

From a slow normal acceleration the GS is very very quiet. You can barely hear the engine when it kicks in. Without the display either on the instrument panel or center LCD console display you can not tell when it is running on pure electric or electric/gas mode. From a full throttle acceleration from stand still the acceleration is very linear until it reaches about 30 mph when the full electric/gas kicks in and felt. I was able to do a brief rear fish tail until the VDIM kick in to keep me in control. It feels like a turbo or supercharged engine. The sound of the engine was not so pleasing. The V6/Hybrid (kind of raspy) does not give you the noise satisfaction of a V8 growl. Interior you hear more engine noise than exhaust noise on full throttle accelerations. Hard acceleration from 30+ is very linear due to the CVT. When you quickly release the accelerator on full throttle acceleration from any speed the RPM would slowly (3 to 4 second) to drop to idle. On my GS430 when I quick lift the accelerator from full throttle acceleration the rpm drops alot quicker. From 0 to 30 my GS430 feels faster. From 30 and up the GS450h feel stronger pull. Don't know if I can get use to the detach feel of acceleration versus engine sound. I don't know how to explain it but the GS450h does not give me the sporty feel even though it has a faster acceleration than my GS430. I am not completely satisfy with the overall sporty experience. I would think the GS450h shine as a fast road crusier. For people who wants quietness and power the GS450h does it very well.

From a standstill under electric power only, if you have your foot on the brake and gently reduce the foot pressure on the brake pedal until the car start to move slowly you can feel a small (very very small) jerk when the electric motor engages and when you lightly press the brake to slow you can also feel the electric motor disengage (again a small jerk). This can only be felt when moving in slow stop and go traffic jam. In normal driving you can't feel it.

Don't bother reving your engine at park. The GS450h will not let you.

The suspension on the GS450h is a whole lot better than my GS430 with L-Tuned spring/struts. Cornering is very flat. I can just imaging how the active stabilizer will further improve the handling. For Guam driving I don't think I would need the active stabilizer. The wheel/fender space gap is again too much. Lowering spring would make the car look better. The suspension under sports mode is very comfortable. Feels better than my L-Tuned GS. The GS450h does roll less than my GS430.

The special 18" OEM wheel feels cheap to me. Those chromed inserts between the spokes feels like thin chrome plated plastic. Aftermarket rim will fix that.

Steering at low speed is alot lighter than my L-Tuned GS430. The GS450h steering response has a neutral feel. Little road feedback can be felt.

The Yokahama Advan tires that came with the GS does not grip too well. I took a U-turn from stop position and the front end lost grip under light to moderate acceleration. The tire squeal.

I now am seriously considering purchasing the GS450h due the attractive pricing the dealer gave me and also my 5 year old GS430 have several interested buyers already. If I wait for the GS460 I may have a harder time selling early next year. Decision... Decision...

Chu...
between a conventional V8 and a hybrid. We had two GS450h's to drive and a GS430. The weight balance front to rear is improved in the 450h to 51/49. This gave it a very predictable feel. When we repeatedly lined up the 450h vs. the 430 for a short drag run the 450h left the 430 right from the start and had a two to three car length advantage at the finish each time. As Chu said this is not that perceivable from engine sound or gear shifts like in a conventional V8. It is way faster than the GS430 unless you are running at high RPM's already but I still think the 450h will dump torque whenever you ask it to for short spurts of about 8 seconds. We didn't get to try the passing power as we didn't get to a highway during the pre planned route. The GS460 is still under development due to fit issues and a GS450h would be pretty easy to interest a buyer in so I don't see any reason not to get it. When I filled up my gas tank last night on the way home from work it was over $50. In Europe it would have been over a $100. The GS450h has a combined fuel economy rating that is 7-8 miles per gallon better than its German and Japanese V8 competitors. That's at least another 100 miles per tank better. It out accelerates all of its competition too. It qualifies for a hybrid tax credit of $2200 (approx.) for tax year 2006. It's cheaper than a V8. Yep, it's an intelligence test....

Rock
Old 04-13-06, 08:36 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bother reving your engine at park. The GS450h will not let you.

Chu...
did you try reving it in neutral??
Old 04-13-06, 08:48 AM
thenod
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great PIcs CHu! I noticed that the car has 42 miles on it. Did you say that this car was going to be for testing purposes only or have you decided to buy this one?
Old 04-13-06, 08:57 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by oneeyejack
did you try reving it in neutral??
I knew someone is going to ask that question. I don't remember. I think I did. The first time I found about unable to rev the engine was the day before the test drive when I brief play with it parked. I think I did it once during the road test while waiting in traffic and I was playing with the manual shifting. I will drop by the dealership again this weekend to try it again.

Chu...
Old 04-13-06, 09:09 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Default Help me decide!!!

I still can't make up my mind to get the GS450h now or wait for the GS460!!! Aaaahhh!!! My brother is pushing me to get the hybrid. He said the value of my GS430 is still high and if I waited to sell early next year I am going to loose more value and compete with more newer model (ie: GS350), and also I expect that I may need to replace the tires (Approx. $900 to $1100) and rear brake service (Approx. $300) later this year. Also the possibility of some unexpected part(s) failure (car is 5 years old, 43,000 miles). If I get the GS450h I think I will be ahead in the overall ownership cost. The GS460 is going cost more also. If I am going to get the GS450h I will expect to wait for 2 to 3 months as most of the allocation is going to the states. Dealer don't know how soon they will be able to get another shipment.

I know I shouldn't complain but the GS450h is tooo quiet!!! I want sporty sound at idle. hehehe . Don't know if I would be satisfy for the next 5 to 6 years of ownership (I don't like selling car earlier than 5 years). I am not too worry about gas prices as I get corporate fleet car discount and my company pays for the gas. My economic side says to get the GS450h but my child racer side says wait for the GS460.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE....

Chu...
Old 04-13-06, 09:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I still can't make up my mind to get the GS450h now or wait for the GS460!!! Aaaahhh!!! My brother is pushing me to get the hybrid. He said the value of my GS430 is still high and if I waited to sell early next year I am going to loose more value and compete with more newer model (ie: GS350), and also I expect that I may need to replace the tires (Approx. $900 to $1100) and rear brake service (Approx. $300) later this year. Also the possibility of some unexpected part(s) failure (car is 5 years old, 43,000 miles). If I get the GS450h I think I will be ahead in the overall ownership cost. The GS460 is going cost more also. If I am going to get the GS450h I will expect to wait for 2 to 3 months as most of the allocation is going to the states. Dealer don't know how soon they will be able to get another shipment.

I know I shouldn't complain but the GS450h is tooo quiet!!! I want sporty sound at idle. hehehe . Don't know if I would be satisfy for the next 5 to 6 years of ownership (I don't like selling car earlier than 5 years). I am not too worry about gas prices as I get corporate fleet car discount and my company pays for the gas. My economic side says to get the GS450h but my child racer side says wait for the GS460.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE....

Chu...
price is unknown on the GS460, lexus claims teh LS460 will do under 5.5 on 0-60 so im guessing the GS460 might hit flat 5.0 in the 0-60, 460 engine has more hp and a little more torque than the GS450h. Optioned 460 is going to cost more than a 450h because the 450h has many features which are optional on the 430
Old 04-13-06, 09:15 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by thenod
Great PIcs CHu! I noticed that the car has 42 miles on it. Did you say that this car was going to be for testing purposes only or have you decided to buy this one?
No not buying this one the way I drove it. This car is strictly for demo and training only. The other white GS450h (similar equipped) was not accessible as it was sold. I didn't get the chance to take pictures on the Odometer. Typically the mileage is usually 8 miles based on my past Lexus purchases (5 Lexus so far).

One picture I forgot to take was the comsumption screen. The average mpg was.... 2.8mpg with the best being 7.8mpg. I guess everyone who tested this GS were all flooring it. hehehe. Maybe not enough miles on the car to give a good overall estimate.

Chu...
Old 04-13-06, 09:21 AM
thenod
Driver

I say get the 450h! You get the car sooner than the 460 plus you save on car parts for your current vehicle and the depreciation factor continues the longer you keep your current ride. 450H ALL THE WAY CHU! Another good point is that you'll be one of the only people on Guam with one. Reselling it one day should be a piece of cake!

I wonder what would happen if we change the exhaust in order to get the sound of a V8. What do you think? I hear a bunch of 4 bangers with some CRAZY sounds coming out their pipes.
Old 04-13-06, 09:36 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by thenod
I say get the 450h! You get the car sooner than the 460 plus you save on car parts for your current vehicle and the depreciation factor continues the longer you keep your current ride. 450H ALL THE WAY CHU! Another good point is that you'll be one of the only people on Guam with one. Reselling it one day should be a piece of cake!

I wonder what would happen if we change the exhaust in order to get the sound of a V8. What do you think? I hear a bunch of 4 bangers with some CRAZY sounds coming out their pipes.
Yeah. I right now leaning more toward the GS450h. Never owned a car with less than a V8. (92 LS400, 92 SC400, 95 SC400, 95 LS400, 01 GS430). My biggest complaint is the sound of the V6. Maybe changing the exhaust would give a more throaty note. From what I have heard of IS350 with aftermarket exhaust the notes were not as pleasing as a V8.

Chu...
Old 04-13-06, 10:31 PM
thenod
Driver

I too have always owned V8's but by the sound of your review, it looks like it doesn't matter that the 450h isn't an 8 since it moves like one. My NM Edition will be arriving very soon but I can already see myself buying the LS600h when it arrives. Thanks for the pics again and good luck to you!
Old 04-14-06, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

did you try it in sport mode btw?
Old 04-14-06, 01:21 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
did you try it in sport mode btw?
Both the sport suspension and power hybrid mode.

Chu...

Quick Reply: GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)