Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h just landed on Guam!!! (review and pics pg 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ChuH
Finally got to test drive the GS450h. I have some pictures but will post tomorrow as my camera is at the office. All the recent posted pictures are the same.

From a slow normal acceleration the GS is very very quiet. You can barely hear the engine when it kicks in. Without the display either on the instrument panel or center LCD console display you can not tell when it is running on pure electric or electric/gas mode. From a full throttle acceleration from stand still the acceleration is very linear until it reaches about 30 mph when the full electric/gas kicks in and felt. I was able to do a brief rear fish tail until the VDIM kick in to keep me in control. It feels like a turbo or supercharged engine. The sound of the engine was not so pleasing. The V6/Hybrid (kind of raspy) does not give you the noise satisfaction of a V8 growl. Interior you hear more engine noise than exhaust noise on full throttle accelerations. Hard acceleration from 30+ is very linear due to the CVT. When you quickly release the accelerator on full throttle acceleration from any speed the RPM would slowly (3 to 4 second) to drop to idle. On my GS430 when I quick lift the accelerator from full throttle acceleration the rpm drops alot quicker. From 0 to 30 my GS430 feels faster. From 30 and up the GS450h feel stronger pull. Don't know if I can get use to the detach feel of acceleration versus engine sound. I don't know how to explain it but the GS450h does not give me the sporty feel even though it has a faster acceleration than my GS430. I am not completely satisfy with the overall sporty experience. I would think the GS450h shine as a fast road crusier. For people who wants quietness and power the GS450h does it very well.

From a standstill under electric power only, if you have your foot on the brake and gently reduce the foot pressure on the brake pedal until the car start to move slowly you can feel a small (very very small) jerk when the electric motor engages and when you lightly press the brake to slow you can also feel the electric motor disengage (again a small jerk). This can only be felt when moving in slow stop and go traffic jam. In normal driving you can't feel it.

Don't bother reving your engine at park. The GS450h will not let you.

The suspension on the GS450h is a whole lot better than my GS430 with L-Tuned spring/struts. Cornering is very flat. I can just imaging how the active stabilizer will further improve the handling. For Guam driving I don't think I would need the active stabilizer. The wheel/fender space gap is again too much. Lowering spring would make the car look better. The suspension under sports mode is very comfortable. Feels better than my L-Tuned GS. The GS450h does roll less than my GS430.

The special 18" OEM wheel feels cheap to me. Those chromed inserts between the spokes feels like thin chrome plated plastic. Aftermarket rim will fix that.

Steering at low speed is alot lighter than my L-Tuned GS430. The GS450h steering response has a neutral feel. Little road feedback can be felt.

The Yokahama Advan tires that came with the GS does not grip too well. I took a U-turn from stop position and the front end lost grip under light to moderate acceleration. The tire squeal.

I now am seriously considering purchasing the GS450h due the attractive pricing the dealer gave me and also my 5 year old GS430 have several interested buyers already. If I wait for the GS460 I may have a harder time selling early next year. Decision... Decision...

Chu...

Thank you for your detailed review and all the great pics.

Its sensational Lexus is a true global brand
Old 04-15-06, 01:12 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

yea...crazy info chu...thanks for giving us a better idea of the car...damn...gs450h or gs460...haha...but hm...i wonder if all the stuff on the gs450h will also be on the 460 or they will basically be options just like the 430...some poster brought this up and that has really brought me thinking on how lexus will market the 460 if it cost more than the 450h...but with less features as the 450h....heh...confused...
Old 04-15-06, 08:08 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
yea...crazy info chu...thanks for giving us a better idea of the car...damn...gs450h or gs460...haha...but hm...i wonder if all the stuff on the gs450h will also be on the 460 or they will basically be options just like the 430...some poster brought this up and that has really brought me thinking on how lexus will market the 460 if it cost more than the 450h...but with less features as the 450h....heh...confused...
My personal thinking is the GS460 may not be much more than the GS450h. I would think the suggested retail for the GS460 to be around $56K with equally equipped features. My wishful thinking that may be standard are the Active Stabilizer Suspension and optional stagger 19" wheels (just dreaming - BMW offer this, Infiniti has 19" also). My reasoning on the cost is that the GS450h was only $500 more than the similiar equipped 06 GS430 (on Guam). The cost of the newly designed 4.6L V8 should not be that much more than the GS430. Typically from past experience when Lexus upgrades it engine the price does not increase substantially. To justify a new model differences I would guess Lexus may make optional items standard on newer models. Just like the HID was optional in 98 GS400 and standard in 01 GS430. I would hope wider tires would be offer with the substantial increase in HP and torque of the GS460.

After a few days of thinking I have now decided to wait until later this year (Sept-Oct) to decided on the GS460 or GS450h. I would hope more details would be available on the GS460 later this year. Not going to rush into a impulse buying of a GS450h. One big negative of the GS450h is the trunk space. Just tonight I took my mom and dad out to dinner party and had to take a wheelchair for my dad. The GS450h would not be able to store the wheelchair.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 04-15-06 at 08:32 AM.