Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Is honeymoon over for RX 400h?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 11:45 AM
mseymour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The base price difference is in the standard equipment. Although I have never seen one, the base price on the RX350 has cloth seats, 17" wheels, etc. If you add the premium package to match the standard on the RX400h, the price spread is about $5000. With the tax credit, that makes the price difference about $3000. For that $3000, you get better performance and better mileage. How much better the mileage is depends on how and where you drive. The performance difference between the AWD versions of the 350 and 400 is still significant.
Steve
Ah Ha. Gotta love marketing...sure lets build a very small mix of base models so we can have a lower visual price point, but never actually sell the base model.

For me, it would take 5+ years to make back the $3K premium at the mileage I drive, but I can see how it's an attractive proposition...at least if you're already considering a gas RX or other gas luxury mid-size SUV.
Old 05-17-06, 02:13 PM
Jimkerry
Driver School Candidate

Before reading this thread, I was all over the RX350. As much as I wanted the RX400h for mileage, I just couldn't justify the price difference. Thanks to this thread I did a bit more in-depth research and discovered that, in addition to the $2,200 tax credit if purchased by 9/30, many of the options I was planning to purchase for the 350 are already standard on the 400h. The bottom line is that invoice on the 350 I want is $41,654 and invoice on a comparable 400h is $44,199, so if you factor in the tax credit it is essentially a wash. The only "issue" is that purchasing a 400h today will be a 2006 model while the 350s are 2007 models, but this is not a huge deal to me as I plan to keep the car for many years.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the 400h is the front-runner once again. On a side not, can anyone recommend a Lexus dealer in the Bay Area?

Jimbo
Old 05-19-06, 10:36 AM
rogelio
Driver School Candidate

Default Ignorance

I am often asked how many hours a day does the RX400h have to be plugged in to be recharged?
Old 05-19-06, 12:11 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rogelio
I am often asked how many hours a day does the RX400h have to be plugged in to be recharged?
Zero! That is the difference between an electric car and a hybrid. I have gotten the question a couple of times and being an engineer, I tried to explain the technology. When the the person asked the question rolled their eyes, I resorted to: "None - it recharges itself".
Steve
Old 05-19-06, 07:38 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rogelio

heh same here...when i first got my prius...lol
Old 05-20-06, 10:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jimkerry
Before reading this thread, I was all over the RX350. As much as I wanted the RX400h for mileage, I just couldn't justify the price difference. Thanks to this thread I did a bit more in-depth research and discovered that, in addition to the $2,200 tax credit if purchased by 9/30, many of the options I was planning to purchase for the 350 are already standard on the 400h. The bottom line is that invoice on the 350 I want is $41,654 and invoice on a comparable 400h is $44,199, so if you factor in the tax credit it is essentially a wash. The only "issue" is that purchasing a 400h today will be a 2006 model while the 350s are 2007 models, but this is not a huge deal to me as I plan to keep the car for many years.

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the 400h is the front-runner once again. On a side not, can anyone recommend a Lexus dealer in the Bay Area?

Jimbo
Great, welcome to Clublexus.
Old 06-06-06, 06:57 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Default Luxury Hybrid

The title says it all. If you are buying a Lexus Hybrid, it's not for the fuel savings or the economy (at least it wasn't for me). I wanted the higher horsepower of the hybrid, I liked the idea of being a little eco friendly with my car (don't laugh), and I liked the idea of driving a vehicle with hybrid technology. It's the same with the fuel. I am not going to worry about 20 cents/gallon if I pay $50K for a car.

Remember how many people refer to the Lexus - LUV - Luxury Utility Vehicle.
Old 06-07-06, 04:43 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh same here...when i first got my prius...lol
Gee, I guess I can stop pluging my 400H in at night!!!!!
Old 07-06-06, 04:40 PM
SugrAddict
Driver School Candidate

It's so funny how people squabble about a 3-5k premium between the 350 and 400h. This is a high end luxury car. You're already forking out consider $$$ to drive the vehicle - so honestly, why is 3-5k such a big deal?!

PS: I'm new to this thread and I've only owned my 400h for a day and a half so be nice!!
Old 07-06-06, 09:43 PM
flounderxl
Driver School Candidate

No way is the honeymoon over! I have had my RX400h for 2 weeks, I commute 110 miles a day from Central NJ to NYC. MPG has been steadily increasing and is now about 26MPG. Now considering this is a luxury SUV I got it for that reason, it is slightly "Greener" than a regular old $50k SUV but for me in NJ as a daily commuter up the turnpike, I get to use the HOV lane as a sigle occupant vehicle because I am in a hybrid. I paid a premium for what effectively amounts to a more environmentally friendly luxury SUV with better MPG than a comparable BMW, MB etc that gives me access to a private express lane during rush hour.

My one complaint is that the the radio is horrible . In a $50k Luxury vehicle there should never be a cassette deck and if there is you had also better be supporting WMA/MP3 and be satellite ready , the RX400h has neither.
Old 07-08-06, 05:26 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

Check the list for Hybrid cars allowed to use HOV, Don't think the RX400 is on the llist, here in NY I checked and the prius is, RX400 is not.

QUOTE=flounderxl]No way is the honeymoon over! I have had my RX400h for 2 weeks, I commute 110 miles a day from Central NJ to NYC. MPG has been steadily increasing and is now about 26MPG. Now considering this is a luxury SUV I got it for that reason, it is slightly "Greener" than a regular old $50k SUV but for me in NJ as a daily commuter up the turnpike, I get to use the HOV lane as a sigle occupant vehicle because I am in a hybrid. I paid a premium for what effectively amounts to a more environmentally friendly luxury SUV with better MPG than a comparable BMW, MB etc that gives me access to a private express lane during rush hour.

My one complaint is that the the radio is horrible . In a $50k Luxury vehicle there should never be a cassette deck and if there is you had also better be supporting WMA/MP3 and be satellite ready , the RX400h has neither.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-26-06, 06:25 PM
augkuo
Driver School Candidate

Default SF Bay area dealer

Originally Posted by Jimkerry

Jimbo
I got mine at the Pleasanton Automall - they didn't try to screw me with a deposit or required "options" (useless fabric spray, etc.) so that's how I choose them.
Old 07-30-06, 08:05 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Originally Posted by augkuo
I got mine at the Pleasanton Automall - they didn't try to screw me with a deposit or required "options" (useless fabric spray, etc.) so that's how I choose them.
That's what I like abouot Lexus dealers. I have never seen the "dealer required options" on any Lexus, and asking for a $1,000 depost on a $50,000 vehicle is not an unreasonable request.