Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Real 400H Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 06:14 PM
RJFisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

27mpg mostly highway.. we have 18000 miles . NEVER goes to 30 even n the city... car makers should be sued!!
Old 06-12-06, 06:44 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

The MPG numbers are estimated by the EPA, not the car makers.
Old 06-12-06, 06:53 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I finally took the time last tank to drive for max fuel economy. It is not easy for someone used to being the first away from the light every time, but I changed my focus to keeping the car on electric power as much as possible. I started coasting long before reaching the stop light, and left the air conditioner off early in the mornings. Although I admit I forgot a couple of times (or maybe more than a couple) the city mileage was 29.7. I really think I can get it up over 30 with practice and maybe become a better driver in the process. That is, until some kid in a Civic with a loud muffler pulls up next to me at a light and keeps gunning his engine. I'd love to be inside the car with them when they explain to their buddies how the got beat by an old geezer in an SUV.
Steve
Old 06-12-06, 07:03 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I thought the A/C is running on a separate power source, i.e., not power generated by the engine. So if you keep the A/C on it should have no impact on fuel economy (no load on the engine).

But when it's winter time you can't say the same. The engine will be on everytime you start the car, as the heat to warm the car comes from the engine. That's why we get better mileage during summer than in the winter.
Old 06-12-06, 07:17 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I finally took the time last tank to drive for max fuel economy. It is not easy for someone used to being the first away from the light every time, but I changed my focus to keeping the car on electric power as much as possible. I started coasting long before reaching the stop light, and left the air conditioner off early in the mornings. Although I admit I forgot a couple of times (or maybe more than a couple) the city mileage was 29.7. I really think I can get it up over 30 with practice and maybe become a better driver in the process. That is, until some kid in a Civic with a loud muffler pulls up next to me at a light and keeps gunning his engine. I'd love to be inside the car with them when they explain to their buddies how the got beat by an old geezer in an SUV.
Steve

Cajun you hit the nail on the head, i had to rethink my driving style also, but allowing more room, coasting when i can, thinking down the road as i drive has made be a better driver, and more relaxed in heavy traffic when im running on battery only. Yes to be honest there is that ten percent of the time when i am running late or just in the mood to feel some power that i drive just for the fun of it. Have i beat that honda from the stop lite from time to time, hell yes LOL.
Old 06-12-06, 09:10 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 400H
Our 400H averages about 27.5 hwy/city driving. We live in Dallas, so the highways are stop and go a lot, but overall we are pleased with the cars performance and mileage.

We did a lease on it, and compared to the 2007 RX350, the monthly payment was almost the same, and came with a lot more options than the 350 would have. Plus you get the tax credit at year end, and lower tax paid on the amount of the vehicle.

i thought the tax credit only applied if you bought the RX400h and not lease it?
Old 06-12-06, 10:22 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I thought the A/C is running on a separate power source, i.e., not power generated by the engine. So if you keep the A/C on it should have no impact on fuel economy (no load on the engine).

Running the airconditioner is a battery load and will require more frequent running of the engine to keep the battery charged. On the 400h, it is a second order effect, but in trying for max mileage, I thought I would try it as long as it was cool outside. On highway cruise, running the air provides better mileage than driving with the windows down but my test was all in town.

At first, my accelerator foot was too heavy and I kept kicking in the engine too soon, but after a while I got a feel for what works and it got easier. The more I try for best mileage, the easier it gets and the more natural it feels. I had not realized how rough and jerky I drove. Even my wife remarked at how smoothly the 400h feels now that it is broken in.

Steve
Old 06-13-06, 06:24 PM
lexusman1
Driver School Candidate

I could wait to get my hands on a new rx400h which is the coolest and most advanced suv available for sale rightnow it offer impressive style umbeliveable luxury and outstanding style If plan to purchase a 400h you must first consider were you will be living and were you will be driving the RX its great for people who do a lot of (BIG CITY) metropolitan driving in downtonwn area and great on the high way at speed above 55 miles an hour it dosent do great when driving in area with speedlimits 30 to 50 mph. Its great for sneaking out the house late at night or anytime because after intensive driving you battery will be so full you can start the car silently and drive several blocks just of the battery long as you dont go to fast I recommend on a scale of 1-10 a 71/2 because get better power than the RX350 and better mileage plus people see you in it and are alway drooling like groupies wandering how it drives I always say there nothing better but it really good on gas at certain times of the day of course

"but if you can afford a 54 plus thousand dollar vehicle like mine than why in the hell should you complain about the gas mileage you should have enough money to support your driving habits".
Old 06-13-06, 07:32 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

That's one really really long sentence...
Old 06-13-06, 11:35 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh...well even though you shell out 50k+ for a suv...especially a hybrid...you want to see if save more gas than a conventional suv...i mean who wants to pay more for gas for less mpg...heh...maybe the m5/m6, hummer drivers...hehe
Old 06-14-06, 03:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh...well even though you shell out 50k+ for a suv...especially a hybrid...you want to see if save more gas than a conventional suv...i mean who wants to pay more for gas for less mpg...heh...maybe the m5/m6, hummer drivers...hehe
pay more for gas for less mpg? More expensive cars should get better mpg eh? Hybrids or diesels are only game where this actually works :-).
Old 06-22-06, 10:12 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I live 3 highway exists apart from my office, so that is about 3 miles highway and 3 miles local one way. I got mine running at 24+ MPG in past 8 weeks with A/C on most of the time.

I have noticed if I take longer route more offten, I see it reaches around 28 MPG.

Hope my info helps the statistic a bit.