Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h Handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 01:38 PM
Nikker1985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow GS450h Handling

How good do you suppose that handling a heavy automatic rear wheel drive car can be? Dont you think that the new GS450H Should be AWD? And what about this button I saw, right next to the suspension managment button, if you take a look at the oficial Lexus Site, there is another button that sais SNOW. You just push the button and start driving around snow with no fear at all?How good can it be? Anybody actually test drove the car? Is it as silent as the RXHybrid is? Does it have good acceleration even on high speeds? Does it really have great mileage and does it really have enough room for 5 people and their Luggages?
That is all.
Old 06-06-06, 01:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

either road and track or motor trend has a BMW 550 (manual) vs Lexus GS450h in their new issue
Old 06-06-06, 01:46 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the snow button on all the lexi helps to prevent the wheel from spinning in slippery conditions and starts in 2nd gear. i WISH it would work where you could drive around in the snow with no fear at all. that button is basically useless in the snow.

as for trunk space, it's even worse in the 450h because the battery takes up a portion of the trunk.
Old 06-06-06, 01:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220577
Old 06-06-06, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikker1985
How good do you suppose that handling a heavy automatic rear wheel drive car can be? Dont you think that the new GS450H Should be AWD? And what about this button I saw, right next to the suspension managment button, if you take a look at the oficial Lexus Site, there is another button that sais SNOW. You just push the button and start driving around snow with no fear at all?How good can it be? Anybody actually test drove the car? Is it as silent as the RXHybrid is? Does it have good acceleration even on high speeds? Does it really have great mileage and does it really have enough room for 5 people and their Luggages?
That is all.
re: speed at high speeds, it pulled from 550i at around 100 MPH :-).
Old 06-06-06, 02:37 PM
LexFather

That is all.
The R and T GS 450h DID NOT have the option $3200 Active Stabilizer bars. From what VVTi has told me and in reading, those bars completely TRANSFORM the GS.

I can believe it b/c TRD Sways COMPLETELY transform the 2GS and they are not active.

If you want the best handling GS, you HAVE to get that option.
Old 06-06-06, 04:17 PM
jwa
Pole Position

That is all.
I can answer a few of these:

As stated by oneeyejack, the snow setting simply slows acceleration to prevent wheel spin. The 450H has a CVT, so it doesn't really have a second gear, but I tried the snow setting, and it definitely does reduce acceleration.

The 450H is notably quiter and smoother than the RX Hybrid. While driving, you'll have a hard time telling when the ICE is or isn't running. At a stop or very low speeds, you can feel some vibration when the ICE turns.

Acceleration is the selling point for this car!! It's great at any speed, but it's best when the ICE kicks in at about 20mph and supplements the electric motor. From that point on, acceleration is reasonably consistent, and you can pass at will.

Gas milage for me so far has been about 21mpg in city driving - about the same as the GS 300.

You can comfortably fit 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids. I highly suggest they send their luggage ahead or pack lite.
Old 06-07-06, 05:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We haven't had any snow to test the GS450h...

in yet but I think it will do well due to the VDIM system. It will do better than the German V8 counterparts that are RWD as their stability systems are earlier generation. The V6 with its electric motor/generator combination will give instant torque and sustain it for about 8-10 seconds until battery power wains. The V6 will have revved high enough by then for its horsepower (306) to take the reins and task of creating thrust. This combination will best the 550i and E500 in passing and return much better fuel efficiency (7-8) MPG at the same time.

The CVT in the GS450h is next generation due to its hi/lo range feature. This can help when accelerating from a standstill and give excellent highway mileage too. The 400h does not have this feature and gets only slightly better highway efficiency gains from not having accessory loads on the gas engine. (There is no alternator, power steering pump or A/C compressor to belt drive) The GS450h is heavier than the GS430 but felt lighter in the slalom course and smoother. The active stabilizers made the GS450h even easier to navigate the cones without losing its composure. Since the batteries are all back in the trunk the front to back weight balance is very even on the 450h.

If someone is not interested in all of this new technology then they should opt for the '07 GS350 and get AWD too if they are concerned about snow driving. It should offer a nice power curve, good fuel economy and good traction....

Rock
Old 06-07-06, 07:33 AM
Nikker1985
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy I am a good guy, please buy me a GS.

There have to be at least 1000 people on this site, so listen up. I am a good guy. Why dont you people give me 10$ each so I can buy the GSh?
GS Hybid and Marisa Tomei is all I need.
Old 06-07-06, 10:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The R and T GS 450h DID NOT have the option $3200 Active Stabilizer bars. From what VVTi has told me and in reading, those bars completely TRANSFORM the GS.

I can believe it b/c TRD Sways COMPLETELY transform the 2GS and they are not active.

If you want the best handling GS, you HAVE to get that option.
yep, while 550i did have sport suspension with "active stabilizators"....
Old 06-07-06, 10:50 PM
thenod
Driver

My NM Edition DOES NOT have Active and with race car driving experience I still think it handles very well. I always turn off that automated steering assist thing. Cornering is much better this way. I sure would like to test drive one with the Active just for comparison. If anyone in the Bay Area has one with Active, I'll let you test mine if I can test yours.
Old 06-08-06, 02:42 PM
longjohn
Rookie

There have to be at least 1000 people on this site, so listen up. I am a good guy. Why dont you people give me 10$ each so I can buy the GSh?
GS Hybid and Marisa Tomei is all I need.
I'd settle for Marisa Tomei and a bicycle.
Old 06-08-06, 03:02 PM
pdbrock32
Driver School Candidate

That is all.
I can also share some comments re these questions... I traded in a '98 GS400 (which I loved ) for the '07 GS450h about 10 days ago. The most singificant issue is that the V6 sounds less authoritative than the V8 (I loved the sound and feel of the 4L V8) and the CVT makes acceleration feel and again sound different. But once you get over these two issues it is all good. Acceleration is fantastic at any speed (although haven't been out on the freeway yet). Since the V6 turns off when you stop at a light, the initial acceleration from 0 starts with the electric drive and then a fraction of a second later the gas turns on. Even with this delay the acceleration is unbelieveable. And, needless to say in stop and go traffic it is really cool to be moving around on the electric drive only.

The car feels heavier than the GS400 (and of course it is) but the handling has been improved as well. So overall I would say it handles about the same. I imagine on a slippery surface we will need to be care when making turns at speed. Bottom line is... it handles really well.

I live in Canada and know a little about driving in the snow. Basically with the snow button or not, this is not a car that likes snow. I live on the side of a mountain so getting out of the driveway can be an issue. If it snows I stay home. Fortuneately, in Vancouver that is only 1 or 2 days a year.

As previously noted, send your luggage ahead or travel light or buy what you need when you get there.

I am already a huge Lexus fan so I am a little biased, but the '07 GS450h is a really winner!
Old 06-10-06, 05:28 PM
Nikker1985
Driver School Candidate

Default Snow Tires?

I am from Greece and I am not used to driving in snow. When I went to Germany once, with a front wheel drive big old van, the van was doing 120km/h or 70m/h on a snowy Highway. Needless to say I turned white from fear. So I guess If you do take the snow tires, it will feel as if you are driving on normal street right?

I dont know about you guys but just thinking of this car, I feel like crying.

Last edited by Nikker1985; 06-10-06 at 05:33 PM.