Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Performance RX 400 vs RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 08:51 AM
kgurton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance RX 400 vs RX 350

Could someone who has driven both the RX 400 and RX 350 please give me their opinion about any performance differences? I am definitely going to purchase one within the next month or so … and I like to drive hard sometimes. I’m curious about standing still acceleration and cruising acceleration. The price differential of $3000 or $4000 is significant, but I’m willing to pat it if there is a noticeable difference for the RX 400 versus RX 350. Thanks
Old 06-07-06, 09:12 AM
pinhead875
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kgurton
Could someone who has driven both the RX 400 and RX 350 please give me their opinion about any performance differences? I am definitely going to purchase one within the next month or so … and I like to drive hard sometimes. I’m curious about standing still acceleration and cruising acceleration. The price differential of $3000 or $4000 is significant, but I’m willing to pat it if there is a noticeable difference for the RX 400 versus RX 350. Thanks
I found info on Car and Driver's website for the RX400h:

RX400h
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.5
40 mph: 3.7
50 mph: 5.2
60 mph: 6.9
70 mph: 8.9
80 mph: 11.5
90 mph: 14.6
100 mph: 16.7
110 mph: 21.9
Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.0
Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph 3.3
50–70 mph: 3.5!!!
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph

I didn't see any tests on their webiste (most sites/magazones haven't tested the RX350). But I did find some info on the RX350.

0 - 60 mph (sec.) - 7.4
1/4-Mile Acceleration (sec.) - 15.7

Although I didn't see results for cruising acceleration, I'm pretty sure the 400h would be faster (due to the CVT and assistance from the electric motors).
Old 06-07-06, 11:15 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 400h is quicker but it's not THAT much quicker.

i suggest that you go to a dealer and just take the two cars out for a spin yourself and see if it's worth the extra money. the extra money you save can be spent on gas.
Old 06-07-06, 05:50 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hope they do a test comparison soon...
Old 06-08-06, 06:20 AM
kgurton
Driver School Candidate

Default My dealer is down playing the difference

Thanks you the info. I intend to visit my dealer (hopefully this weekend) to test drive both cars. When I sat down to ask some simple questions about avaibilty and options... the dealer commented that the performance difference between the two was almost not noticable and that some people have commented that the RX 400h was noiser than the RX 350 under hard acceleration. I don't know if this is true since I get the impression the dealers are pushing the RX 350 over the RX 400h for some reason.
Old 06-08-06, 09:19 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I own an RX400h, but have driven an RX350 extensively. My comments relate to the AWD versions of both since that is where the difference is most noticeable. The 400h is significantly faster than the 350. From a standing start the 350 feels a little quicker at first, but the 400 would very soon pass it - characteristic of the CVT is a bit "softer" initial acceleration compared to the standard automatic in low. At passing speeds, the 400h is much quicker and no delay for kickdown. The same is true entering a freeway - it is always in the right "gear".

The 400h is noiser than the 350 in normal acceleration. The CVT allows the 400h engine to rev sooner and you hear it a bit but I don't find it objectionable. The 400h has a special windshield to help reduce this noise, so may be a little quieter in normal operation.

The 400h is heavier and has the batteries mounted low in the car under the rear seat area. Lexus has modified the spring rates to compensate for the extra weight. With the lower CG and more aft weight bias, the 400h both rides and handles better than the 350.

The local dealer has a lot of 350's and no 400's in stock, so I don't doubt that the salesman will steer people to the advantages of the 350. I'm surprised that he did not mention the 400h torque steer which is much more noticeable than the 350.

If the FWD models are compared, the performance is much closer - the AWD 350 is slower than the FWD and the AWD 400h is faster than the FWD.

Steve
Old 06-11-06, 09:54 PM
Battousai
Driver School Candidate

I owned the RX350 and have driven the RX400h few times before i made the purchase.

RX400h does give you more gas mileage, not alot but still (not to mention tax break). however 400h does require more maintence and it would be lexus "exclusive" thing. it is expensive. The technology itself will be outdated in couple of years, as new models enter.

overall, the premium price u pay for 400h would not justify the saving on gas and teh tax break.

performance, hands-down rx350 better than 400h, specially when u are driving in the city.

the rx350 turns and steering control is more in-line like a sedan, where 400h is too stiff. there were too many body-leanon the 400h.

400h maybe a bit faster, but who needs speed when driving a SUV? 350 is more than powerful enough for everyday driving. not to mention 350 is faster than 330.
Old 06-12-06, 12:22 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i wonder what maintainence the hybrids need? I thought all problems that have to do with the hybrid engine is covered under an 8 year warranty. maybe your talking about the brakes or something?
Old 06-12-06, 12:03 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default 400h maintenance

Battousai: It would help for everyones sake that you try to be more accurate in your statements.
I am not aware of any 'extra' maintenance the 400h needs over the rx 330 or 350 over the life of the warrenty. The hybrid system including the battery is covered by toyota for 100,000 miles (150,000 in california). It can be serviced at your local auto repair ship if u like. The only extra thing a dealer does during a lube service is a battery test. Because the brakes are regenerative and the heat is dissapated away from them they are likely to last double the normal brake life. The cvt trans in the 400h is a huge improvement over shifting thru the gears in the auto trans, it is simply the smoothest car you will drive. The two electric motors give you all their power whenever it is needed, so there is an incredible reserve for passing, and this vehicle handles exceptionally well for an SUV. I am getting double the mileage of my previous SUV with more power, lower exhaust emissions and more comfort and safety. At least two insurance companies are giving a discount to hybrid drivers due to their lower accident rate.

The 350 does have the latest Lexus nav system and monitor which i hear is fantastic.
Old 06-12-06, 12:42 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Pls correct me if I were wrong. RX400h uses electric power steering, while the non-hybrid RX uses hydraulic power steering. That means when the car gets older, the non-hybrid requires power steering fluid flush and new fluid, while the RX400h does not require. For AWD model, same thing to the rear differential oil.
Old 06-12-06, 03:04 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

This is the first comment I have heard that the 350 rides and/or handles better than the 400h. My impression from back-to-back drives is just the opposite. The extra weight of the 400h battery is compensated for in the springs. The low, aft mounted battery not only lowers the CG but moves the balance point aft, both of which improve handling. I drive the 400h in the same manner I did my Lincoln LS sedan, and don't notice that it is an SUV.

I hear lots of "stories" about the hybrids, that seem to have no basis in fact. I was told that it would take a long time in the summer to get the gas tank filler door to open. Well, the temperatures here have been as high as 107 and no problems yet. Maybe I'll have to wait for it to get really hot. Another rumor is about the price of a replacement battery and the need to replace it every couple of years. The warranty covers that for 8 years, and the individual cells are replaceable. I even had someone tell me that the RX350 got better gas mileage. I checked with my neighbor who has one, and he gets around 20 mpg overall. I'm running about 7 mpg better than that, not bad for a car with better performance.

I love the ideal of not having all those belt driven accessories on the engine. Here in the desert, belts don't live very long. It is nice not to have to worry about alternator, power steering, or air conditioning going out due to a belt problem.

Steve
Old 06-12-06, 04:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
This is the first comment I have heard that the 350 rides and/or handles better than the 400h. My impression from back-to-back drives is just the opposite. The extra weight of the 400h battery is compensated for in the springs. The low, aft mounted battery not only lowers the CG but moves the balance point aft, both of which improve handling. I drive the 400h in the same manner I did my Lincoln LS sedan, and don't notice that it is an SUV.

I hear lots of "stories" about the hybrids, that seem to have no basis in fact. I was told that it would take a long time in the summer to get the gas tank filler door to open. Well, the temperatures here have been as high as 107 and no problems yet. Maybe I'll have to wait for it to get really hot. Another rumor is about the price of a replacement battery and the need to replace it every couple of years. The warranty covers that for 8 years, and the individual cells are replaceable. I even had someone tell me that the RX350 got better gas mileage. I checked with my neighbor who has one, and he gets around 20 mpg overall. I'm running about 7 mpg better than that, not bad for a car with better performance.

I love the ideal of not having all those belt driven accessories on the engine. Here in the desert, belts don't live very long. It is nice not to have to worry about alternator, power steering, or air conditioning going out due to a belt problem.

Steve
yep........
Old 06-22-06, 12:09 PM
Battousai
Driver School Candidate

well, i see lots of 2006 400h owners are quite upset that people think 350 is a better buy.

that's personal preference and one thing that u have to keep in mind is ur mparing a 2006 to a 2007 vehicle. the fact that yes it's a hybrid comparing with a non-hybrid vehicle, it should still be a "age" difference.

350 owner would definately like and think it is better than the 400h and vise versa.

however, i do like my gen 5 nav way better than the one inside 400h.

by the way, is lexus going to produce anymore 400h hybrid?
Old 06-22-06, 12:59 PM
pinhead875
Driver School Candidate

I'm happy my 400h is a lot more environmentally friendly.
Old 06-22-06, 09:07 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Battousai
well, i see lots of 2006 400h owners are quite upset that people think 350 is a better buy.

that's personal preference and one thing that u have to keep in mind is ur mparing a 2006 to a 2007 vehicle. the fact that yes it's a hybrid comparing with a non-hybrid vehicle, it should still be a "age" difference.

350 owner would definately like and think it is better than the 400h and vise versa.

however, i do like my gen 5 nav way better than the one inside 400h.

by the way, is lexus going to produce anymore 400h hybrid?
true.. i would LOVE to have Gen 5 NAV in my 400H..
but everything else the 400H is better..

o well~

Quick Reply: Performance RX 400 vs RX 350