Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Tire Tread Wear on RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 06:33 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a known problem with the the truck because of all it's torque the tire can't stand up to it. I see them all the time at the dealership customers never get more then 20k out of them.
Old 09-06-06, 07:08 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default This is the first wear report I've read but....

some of the RX400h's came with Michelins and some with Goodyear. We noticed that the Michelins were a lot quieter on the concrete pavement. I am surprised about the brake pad report however. Stop and go driving would use more friction brakes but highway driving would be mostly generator braking so that puzzles me. The RX400h does weigh more than its sibling RX350/330 so tire wear could be faster but on my RX300 at 105,000 miles I'm on my third set of Goodyear Integritys which are inexpensive. I have Michelin XZX on my Land Rover and they still look new at 30,000 miles. Durometer ratings are not standardized and each manufacturer has their own method of computing the compound hardness. I would recommend selecting a replacement tire that matches your driving and climate zone. A "V" rated tire will handle a higher heat load than a lower speed rating. It has an extra nylon belt that shrinks under heat to offset the expansion that causes tire failure at continuous high speeds. The RX is electronically limited to 110 MPH but those that drive on highways in hot climate zones would be good candidates for a "V" rated tire if you can find one for the RX. Lower profile and wider is better for cornering traction and acceleration as the contact patch is greater. Taller and thinner is better for snow so a smaller rim would actually make more sense with a higher profile if the terrain is mountainous and snowy plus a more aggressive snow specific tire would be useful in that case like Hakepelitas or Blizzaks.

Michelins should give you more mileage compared to the Goodyear OEM's.

Rock
Old 09-16-06, 08:12 AM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, the Firestone/Bridgestone store has not yet received the Alenzas for my 400h. Turns out they are flagged in the computer as a "limited availability item". They told me this means the tire is a low demand tire produced periodically. This tire is rated at 65,000 miles, which means I'll likely get 40,000 miles (I've hydroplaned a few times and have witnessed accidents on rainy days, so I probably replace tires earlier than the average bear <old 60's cartoon expression>). The tire store said the 235/55-R18 size tire is a somewhat uncommon size. Hey, what do I know? I'm just a mid-fifties driver, not a 20's something into-performance kind of fellow.

At any rate, for those of you considering buying longer lasting tires for your 400h, you may want to factor a couple of weeks extra time for your dealer to bring the tires into his possession. When I finally do get them, I'll let you know how these Alenzas sound, drive and if there is any noticeable effect on gas mileage.