Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Tire Tread Wear on RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 12:14 PM
formanrobs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Tread Wear on RX400h

Hi. I need some help. I have an '06 400h that was factory equipped with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I noticed an uneven tire wear pattern after about 10K miles with the wear being heavier in the center of the tire. I have been very conscientious about proper tire pressure at 32psi as suggested. Now that I have close to 24K miles the wear pattern is more pronounced and the Service Manager at Lexus in Silver Spring shrugged his shoulders and offered to partially cover the cost of some new tires. I am very curious as I also noticed that most Lexus vehicles are equipped with Michelins and it appears that the Rx400h is peculiar being equipped with the Goodyears.
1. Can anyone else confirm this problem on their Rx400h ?
2. Has anyone heard a reasonable explaination ?
3. Has anyone heard of a resolution?

I know I've got alot of miles on my RX, so I may be one of the first to notice this issue, but please keep an eye out.

Last edited by formanrobs; 06-10-06 at 03:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-10-06, 06:17 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Originally Posted by formanrobs
Hi. I need some help. I have an '06 400h that was factory equipped with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I noticed an uneven tire wear pattern after about 10K miles with the wear being heavier in the center of the tire. I have been very conscientious about proper tire pressure at 32psi as suggested. Now that I have close to 24K miles the wear pattern is more pronounced and the Service Manager at Lexus in Silver Spring shrugged his shoulders and offered to partially cover the cost of some new tires. I am very curious as I also noticed that most Lexus vehicles are equipped with Michelins and it appears that the Rx400h is peculiar being equipped with the Goodyears.

I know I've got alot of miles on my RX, so I may be one of the first to notice this issue, but please keep an eye out.
I had a 2004 RX330 prior to the 400h. It came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. By 10,000 miles the tires were shot. Kept close check on pressure, alignment, etc., but still wore out the tires. Put the Michelins on. No problems. Still almost brand new when traded at 30,000 miles. Having Michelins put on my 400h with 313 miles on it! So much for Goodyear.
Old 06-10-06, 07:50 PM
formanrobs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. That's exactly when I started to experience the problem. Did you try going back to the dealer for resolution. Or did you just bite the bullet. My dealer was going to pay 40% of the cost of replacement tires, but I think that Lexus should be fully responsible. It is an expensive vehicle and to put on an inferior tire is ludicrous.
Old 06-12-06, 06:11 PM
RJFisher
Driver School Candidate

We have a 400h also; Goodyear tires are shot at 17000 miles. Keep in mind this is all highway driving; the wear pattern is actually on the inside. We took this in every 3000 & 5000 miles for oil & rotation. I had three
tire stores confirm they DID NOT rotate these tires. I will find a 40000 mile tire. On a BIGGER note; I remember being told the brakes would last LONGER because the electric motors help stop the car. From what I'm looking at it's the opposite. are brakes are gone at 18000 miles CRAZY. all highway. Car makers are car makers
Old 06-12-06, 10:30 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My other car is an Infiniti G35 coupe. The original equipment tires were RSA's and I had the same wear problems with them. At around 15K miles, there was much heavier wear on the center rib of the tires than on either edge. Looked like over inflation except that the tires were always at 30 psi. I suspect that this is a design issue with the RSA tires.

The RSA is used in a lot of applications as an OEM tire. The reputation is that they ride well but wear fast. The alternate tire for the 400h is the MXV4 which does not ride or handle as well as the RSA, but wears much better.

Steve
Old 06-13-06, 04:14 PM
speedyg
Rookie

I have 10k miles on the Goodyear RS-A's that came with my RX400h. I don't see abnormal wear in the center, if anything I see a little more wear on the outer edge. But only on the front tires. I added a little more than the recommended pressure to the front tires a couple weeks ago, will see what effect that has.
Old 06-13-06, 06:27 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Thanks for the response. That's exactly when I started to experience the problem. Did you try going back to the dealer for resolution. Or did you just bite the bullet. My dealer was going to pay 40% of the cost of replacement tires, but I think that Lexus should be fully responsible. It is an expensive vehicle and to put on an inferior tire is ludicrous.
NoI didn't try to talk to the dealer. I figured it was a waste of time. I just bit the bullet and bought the tires.BTW, the Michelins are cheaper than the Goodyears.
Old 06-14-06, 10:14 AM
alaterreur
Driver School Candidate

Look at the tread wear rating on the Goodyears, They are I believe only 270 where as the Michlines are 400. Thats why Goodyears Dont last long..When I bought My 400H last month, I had them put Michelines on...I noticed some 400's had Michelines and others Goodyears..
Old 06-25-06, 08:15 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by speedyg
I have 10k miles on the Goodyear RS-A's that came with my RX400h. I don't see abnormal wear in the center, if anything I see a little more wear on the outer edge. But only on the front tires. I added a little more than the recommended pressure to the front tires a couple weeks ago, will see what effect that has.
Outer edge wear can be a sign of problem in alignment. Front wheels wearing out more than the rear ones means it is lacking of good rotation schedule. Adding a bit more pressure to the tire is not a problem but won't do any good to what you really need.

Try to look for a reputable shop (not those fancy-chained shops) and let them inspect your alignment (usually under $30). If you need more tips about shopping for tires.... msg me and I can refer you to my budy who works in the shop, who loves to provide info on tires for different driving preferences w/wo selling any.
Old 06-25-06, 08:43 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

1. Not yet, mine (RSA like yous and I hate it vrey much) are in low 2k range only. Our RSA is a V-Rated tire (VR), which means it is safe at very high speed driving(150+ mph), but the trade off is its soft rubber and resulting in fast down wearing.

2. Noticeable center wearing is not normal. It can a cause of: often long term driving, lacking of tire maintenance (rotation, high tire pressure), over loading, or possible a defectivly manufactured. Again, tires with VR spec is good for high speed, short term driving, and also not for heavy loading (just think VR tires are for track use... good handling and high performance but not for long lasting)

3. Resolution? Get new tires, check your alignment and stop going to dealer. Because quality tires with a cheaper price tag and also an alignment technician with 20+ years in alignment only do not exist in dealers)

I will not pick up VR tires again if I am drove 24k mi in one year.

Last edited by josephdoc; 06-25-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 10:15 AM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

My 400h has 12,000 miles and the Goodyears are essentially over the hill. I could coax another 4,000 to 5,000 miles out of them but I've seen too many accidents on rainy days. The tire face has good tread but the inside track is wearing fast. I've got the Bridgestone dealer bringing in four Alenzas which have a significantly higher tread rating than the Goodyears. The local Tire Kingdom (Merchants) store could not get them for me. All they offered were the Michelins with VR speed (VR = soft rubber = short tread life). I've had two sets Michelin Pilots on our RL and did not like the tread life. The original VR Pilots were hydroplane city at 18,000 and the slower speed (can't remember the speed rating but it was the slowest speed rating for the Pilot series) went 25,000 miles and became distrustful. Have Potenzas on the RL and they are looking good, running good and have 13,000 miles without showing wear. Anyone out there with Alenzas on their 400h? Did you lose much traction? Any comments?

I'll let you know how it goes when the tires are put on next week. I've put 65,000 miles on Michelin LTXs on a Yukon. My son has 65,000 miles on LTXs on his Explorer and they look great with no hydroplaning problems. The stuff I've read on the Bridgestone low profile tires having much longer tread life appeals to my mid-fifties sensibility (i.e. not doing much racing these days, but I do want to look good while getting respectable tire life). You'd think Michelin would get the message and come out with some longer life low profile tires.
wstr
Old 09-04-06, 10:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Go with the Michelins when you get the chance. Other advice it to inflate those tires with nitrogen, which you can get at Costco. My tires have lasted a lot longer than they should have.
Old 09-04-06, 10:40 AM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex, thanks for the advice, but I've already committed to putting Bridgestone Alenzas on my car. I'll be the group's guinea pig!

I've been a Michelin guy for most purchases the past ten years. I've been real happy with the Potenzas and the on-line tire research has spoken highly of the Bridgestones followed by the Yokohamas so I'll report back with my experiences. As to the Goodyears, I rotated the tires every 5000 miles but I guess they just weren't happy with my driving. I've had similar experiences with Goodyear Eagles. The high performance Goodyears do have good dry road grip, though. But I'll give up some cornering G's for better tread life. The Tire Kingdom manager said that the 55 profile tires were pretty much all VR ratings. The price we pay for bling, bling-looking wheels my friends.
Old 09-04-06, 04:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFisher
We have a 400h also; Goodyear tires are shot at 17000 miles. Keep in mind this is all highway driving; the wear pattern is actually on the inside. We took this in every 3000 & 5000 miles for oil & rotation. I had three
tire stores confirm they DID NOT rotate these tires. I will find a 40000 mile tire. On a BIGGER note; I remember being told the brakes would last LONGER because the electric motors help stop the car. From what I'm looking at it's the opposite. are brakes are gone at 18000 miles CRAZY. all highway. Car makers are car makers
That can't be right. At my 10,000 mile service, my Prius brakes were 90% front, 95% rear, almost all city. At my 20,000 mile service, the brakes were closer to 75% (diff dealer. They tend to round to the nearest quarter.. so 25,50,75 and 100% which kinda pisses me off).
Old 09-04-06, 06:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by wstr75
Lexmex, thanks for the advice, but I've already committed to putting Bridgestone Alenzas on my car. I'll be the group's guinea pig!

I've been a Michelin guy for most purchases the past ten years. I've been real happy with the Potenzas and the on-line tire research has spoken highly of the Bridgestones followed by the Yokohamas so I'll report back with my experiences. As to the Goodyears, I rotated the tires every 5000 miles but I guess they just weren't happy with my driving. I've had similar experiences with Goodyear Eagles. The high performance Goodyears do have good dry road grip, though. But I'll give up some cornering G's for better tread life. The Tire Kingdom manager said that the 55 profile tires were pretty much all VR ratings. The price we pay for bling, bling-looking wheels my friends.
Potenzas are also good. I am considering as a future mod, possibly some 17 inch ones with lightweight rims. Eagles are about the only Goodyear that I like, but I think some of their newer models will be a good improvement and even light weight which is great in the unsprung weight department.

Quick Reply: Tire Tread Wear on RX400h