Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

What size - Yakima Mighty Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 08:03 PM
dynazel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size - Yakima Mighty Mounts?

I just checked the "Yakima Fit List" to try to determine the correct mount for Yakima racks (I use them to carry snowboard/skis), and I can't seem to come up with the product number I need.

My Chevy Blazer took a "10V" according to the Yakiam Fit List. For my Nissan Murano, I had to order the correct mounts from the Nissan dealer--I don't see a number for those other than a part number, 999R1-EP001, which doesn't match the Yakima numbering scheme. The mounts for my Murano "seem" to fit my RX400h, but I think if they are not exactly right, they'll vibrate or rattle.

Has anyone ordered the correct mounts, and if so, do you see any numbers on them, or can you tell me what you ordered?

(If I'm not clear on what I'm looking for: There are four mounts that kind of snap around the factory roof rack, and then one Yakima ski rack fits onto the two mounts on the front roof rack bar, and the other Yakima ski rack fits onto the two mounts on the rear roof rack bar. Heck, that's probably more confusing than clarifying, eh?)
Old 06-18-06, 04:02 PM
RX400h4Jim
Driver School Candidate

I haven't received my RX400h yet , but I did buy the Yakima rack gear for it to carry my kayak (maybe two). Yakima does not recommend using mighty mounts on the stock bars if you are carrying any real weight. Instead they recommend using the LowRiders that attach to the stock rails and carry their own 48" Yakima cross bars. Your existing mounts then attach to the Yakima cross bars. For my intended kayak carry purpose it makes very good sense to me to put the weight on the rails instead of the bars. If you are only going to carry a snowboard/ski or two, that might be a light enough load to place on the stock bars. Go to the Yakima site ( http://www.yakima.com/ ) and select "Choose My Rack" at the top of their home page. Follow the instructions and they'll tell you what parts you need for your intended purpose. If the recommended Yakima part number (assuming they don't recommend the LowRider approach) doesn't come close to matching your existing part number, I'd take the part (Might Mount and Ski mount) to a local Yakima vendor and ask to see the recommended part. Do a visual comparison, and decide whether to use your existing Mighty Mounts or the Yakima recommend part. In any case you shouldn't have to replace your ski mounts (technically they are mounts and the rack is what they mount to).

Last edited by RX400h4Jim; 06-18-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-20-06, 05:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dynazel - i had a similar problem. i had an 01 RX300 with the yakima mounts and the Powderhound for our snowboards.

then in 03 i got a RX330 which, like the rest of the Lexus models, has a much thicker/wider crossbar. i tried to get compatible mounts from Yakima, but in 3+ years nothing has been made. the first winter i had the car i just gave away my Yakimas and got Thules instead, b/c Thule makes the universal fat mouth clamp which also provides more clearance, which was much better than the Yakima.

in any case, i think your best option is to give the Murano mounts a shot, if there is a little slack you can always put self adhesive foam or felt to make it tight. or, you can try Thule. i will say having used them both: Thule's is easier to use and feels more solid for the same price. i have the large carrier for 4 snowboards or 6 skis and it also slides out at the base so you can load/unload more easily. very handy feature.
Old 06-20-06, 05:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

If any of you are in the NY area, you might want to contact our GS moderator SGT to find out if he can put you in contact with Yakima to get fittment done for the RX330/400h, similar to what he did on his 3GS

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=yakima
Old 06-25-06, 06:25 PM
dynazel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for answering. I believe what I intend to carry is light enough to rest on the Lexus racks...but it appears that yakima doesn't provide any other option other than the one RH400hJim selected (the LowRider approach).

Since the Murano mounts seem to fit fairly snug, that's the option I'm going to try for now--I can certainly keep an eye on the board through the sunroof!!! If worse comes to worst, I'll just have to consider the Thule (and you'll be seeing my Yakimas on ebay!!)

Thanks again to responders.