Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

400h Bluetooth, other person can't hear me

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 12:12 AM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400h Bluetooth, other person can't hear me

I just got a 2006 400h and am trying to set up the bluetooth with my LG LX350 phone with Sprint. Everything works great so far except one thing. When I'm on a call (whether I called out or whether someone called me and I answered) I can hear their voice through the car sound system, but the person on the other end can't hear me. It's like I have it on Mute, but I know I don't (and I've tried pressing the Mute button to change it but it made no difference). I know the mic in the car is working okay because it accepts my voice commands for NAV and such. And I have two different bluetooth headsets I use with the phone which both work fine. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 06-25-06, 10:45 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ther is a way to go into the vehicles software and raise the volumn on outgoing calls. Off hand I don't remember the procedure.
Old 07-01-06, 05:38 AM
dfwrx330
Driver School Candidate

Hi clhug,

Please report back if you get your phone to work. I have an 05 RX330 and I've been trying to find a Lexus-compatible Sprint phone for over a year. So far, no joy, and no reports anywhere of complete success with any Sprint phone. Everyone has problems with them.

Have you transferred your contacts from the phone to the car? Could you transfer more than one at a time?

Thanks, Ed
Old 07-01-06, 10:09 AM
clhug
Driver School Candidate

Actually it's working now. I don't know what the deal is. I think I was doing something wrong but I don't know what. But it is working now. This is in regards to the voice piece ONLY though. That is when someone calls me, I can answer it through the car's system and converse okay, or I can dial out via my phone (using the phone itself) and once I hit Talk on the phone, the car picks up the connection and I can converse through the car's system.

What does NOT work, which is apparently by Lexus design, not the fault of the phone, is that if your phone has voice dial capability, you can't press the call button in the car to connect to the phone to do voice dialing. Heck, the $10 bluetooth headset I have does that!

I have also NOT been able to transfer my contacts from the phone to the car, even one by one. My particular model of phone itself does not support syncing contacts via the Bluetooth. That's a limitation of the phone though. I don't see any reason why if you have a more expensive model of phone that specifically supports syncing of contacts via Bluetooth that it shouldn't work. My phone DOES support sending individual contacts via vCard and I've tried that but the instant I put the car in Transfer mode to accept the contacts the phone loses the Bluetooth connection completely. So it looks like the vCard method isn't supported by the car.

I could live with all this, except for the fact that whatever idiot designed the car system for Lexus didn't provide a way to manually enter contacts through the screen either. There is NO way to do it! I have read elsewhere on these forums of people being able to borrow another phone from someone that has the sync contacts over Bluetooth ability and then loading all their contacts into that phone and then syncing with the car just to get the contacts in the car. I'm going to see if I can maybe sync a laptop from Outlook directly to the car, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I've got to buy a bluetooth adapter for my laptop.

I did manage to at least get some one-touch dial entries in there. I can dial out manually from the car's on-screen keypad (note though, you have to be sitting still to do it). I'd dial an ougoing number, hit the call button, then the hangup button right away, and the numer appears in the outgoing calls log on the car. Then you can go into that log and assign it to a one-touch entry. You don't get any names but if they're like your top 10 or so numbers you call the most often you might be able to remember who it is just by the position in the one-touch.

Also note, by Lexus' own design, even with a fully function phone and having the phone book in the car fully populated, the ONLY way to dial out via the car's system while driving is via the one-touch. When the car is in motion it disables the phone book and the manual dial, and makes the phone numbers on the one-touch screen disappear, though you can still see the names (if you have names on it) and can dial out from the one-touch screen while driving. This is a limitation imposed by Lexus I presume for legal "safety" reasons and not a fault of any phone. But all they did was drive people back to having to use their own phone to dial out which in my opinion is far less safe than being able to dial via the Nav screen.

One thing I'm curious about is that the 07 RX350 has a newer version of the Nav system and I'm wondering if they've improved any of this functionality in that. I was very torn between an '06 400h and the '07 350, and decided I'd rather have the hybrid than the few other new functions that the 350 had. (I also got the Mark Levinson sound system in my 400h and I'd have had to special order a 350 with Levinson which wouldn't have been here until October). But I wish I'd have known about all these limitations Lexus imposed on us before I'd bought it, or at least been able to compare properly between the 350 and 400h in that respect to see if the 350 was the same.
Old 07-01-07, 12:00 PM
hlh1015
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the VERY same frustrations... Just got my 2006 rx400h on Friday, and cannot get any phone numbers into it because my phone doesn't have the transfer capability. I have to wonder why you can't manually enter phone numbers into the phone book. That would be the FIRST thing you'd want to do, I'd think.

Plus - there's no voice command function for calling anyone. My sister's Acura TL has voice calling capabilities, AND dialing capabilities. It just asks her what number to call. If it's a number that's already programmed in, she just says "Call Heidi", and it does it. I'm totally bummed that the Lexus system can't do this.

So - no phonebook & no voice dialing. I'm sad.

Oh, btw... other than these phone book things - I LOVE my new rx400h
Old 07-29-07, 06:52 PM
pgardner83
Driver School Candidate

Default pgardner

The volume on the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-30-07, 06:18 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by hlh1015
I'm having the VERY same frustrations... Just got my 2006 rx400h on Friday, and cannot get any phone numbers into it because my phone doesn't have the transfer capability. I have to wonder why you can't manually enter phone numbers into the phone book. That would be the FIRST thing you'd want to do, I'd think.

Plus - there's no voice command function for calling anyone. My sister's Acura TL has voice calling capabilities, AND dialing capabilities. It just asks her what number to call. If it's a number that's already programmed in, she just says "Call Heidi", and it does it. I'm totally bummed that the Lexus system can't do this.

So - no phonebook & no voice dialing. I'm sad.

Oh, btw... other than these phone book things - I LOVE my new rx400h
Of course you can enter phone numbers into the address book. Check your manual. It *is* the first thing I did with the phone. You can also assign voice tags. If you can't figure it out with from the manual, perhaps your dealer can be of assistance.

nb