Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Toyota to Enter Hybrid GS450h Sedan in 24-hour Race . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 10:02 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Toyota to Enter Hybrid GS450h Sedan in 24-hour Race . . .

Toyota to Enter Hybrid Sedan in 24-hour Race

TOKYO — July 4, 2006: Toyota Motor Corporation announced today that it plans to compete in Japan's only round-the-clock semi-international racing event with a Lexus GS450h hybrid sedan.

The grueling Tokachi 24-hour Race* race is set to take place at the Tokachi International Speedway in Hokkaido (in northern Japan) from July 15 to 17. By entering a Lexus GS450h, engineers, with an eye toward obtaining technological feedback for future mass-production vehicles, position the race as part of their ongoing developmental efforts, hoping it will provide insight into how to make hybrid systems smaller, lighter and more efficient. They also plan to collect data on the potential of hybrid systems in motorsports.

This marks the first time an automobile manufacturer has played a leading role in entering a hybrid vehicle in a competition that has semi-international status, such as the Tokachi 24-hour Race. Until now, in Japan, only private teams with self-owned hybrid vehicles have competed in independent events at various racing circuits.

source : theautochannel
Old 07-04-06, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Toyota to Enter Hybrid Sedan in 24-hour Race

TOKYO — July 4, 2006: Toyota Motor Corporation announced today that it plans to compete in Japan's only round-the-clock semi-international racing event with a Lexus GS450h hybrid sedan.

The grueling Tokachi 24-hour Race* race is set to take place at the Tokachi International Speedway in Hokkaido (in northern Japan) from July 15 to 17. By entering a Lexus GS450h, engineers, with an eye toward obtaining technological feedback for future mass-production vehicles, position the race as part of their ongoing developmental efforts, hoping it will provide insight into how to make hybrid systems smaller, lighter and more efficient. They also plan to collect data on the potential of hybrid systems in motorsports.

This marks the first time an automobile manufacturer has played a leading role in entering a hybrid vehicle in a competition that has semi-international status, such as the Tokachi 24-hour Race. Until now, in Japan, only private teams with self-owned hybrid vehicles have competed in independent events at various racing circuits.

source : theautochannel

Lexus is on it. I am very impressed with their racing efforts as of late, including Team Lexus.

This could REALLY give the GS a nice sporty push if they compete well and market correctly
Old 07-04-06, 10:58 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

hm....pretty cool...I am assuming that they are going to tune the GS450h differently than stock version right?...heh
Old 07-04-06, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am indeed very surprised about the choice of car. the 450h, never thought about it. i would imagine the gs350 or the gs460 (that's coming), but the 450h? very weird. we will have to see how it turns out
Old 07-05-06, 03:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Toyota Motor has announced that it has entered a race-prepped version of its Lexus GS450h hybrid sedan in Japan's Tokachi 24-hour endurance race. The car (shown above in preliminary livery) will be raced by Sigma Automotive Racing Division (SARD), a group that races Toyotas in the Japanese Super GT series.

The GS450h racecar is spec'd at a maximum hybrid system output of about 345 hp, with peak output of the gas engine of 295 hp, and peak electric motor output of nearly 200 hp. The race-ready Lexus races in a class with a relatively hefty minimum weight of 3,417 lb, and has received the usual top-to-bottom list of race modifications, including:

* reworked suspension
* wheels and tires
* rollcage
* fuel cell
* limited-slip differential
* uprated brakes
* aero modifications

The Tokachi 24-hour race is part of a race series for production-based cars, broadly similar to the U.S. SPEED World Challenge.

Source: Toyota
Old 07-05-06, 05:37 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

looks nice...but um...345hp...only 6hp more than the stock gs450h?...hm... ...did they just add an exhaust or something?
Old 07-05-06, 05:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Speaking of race car/upgraded 2IS and 3GS, there will be a new GS and IS pace car coming soon. They have been in the works for a few months now but will be released shortly. Keep an eye out for them.
Old 07-05-06, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the car looks pretty funny, seems like they spent a lot of time on the graphics?

on a race like this, i guess reliability plays a much much bigger role than just sheer power huh?
Old 07-06-06, 05:02 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Hey just be happy they have a Crystal White w/Black interior GS450h on hand!
Old 07-07-06, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
looks nice...but um...345hp...only 6hp more than the stock gs450h?...hm... ...did they just add an exhaust or something?
Yeah but the car almost lost 700lbs!!!!
Old 07-07-06, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah but the car almost lost 700lbs!!!!
that means our cars have a lot of junk, lol
Old 07-07-06, 10:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
that means our cars have a lot of junk, lol
Well, it's supposed to be a luxury car lol, I want to know exactly what they took out . . .
Old 07-07-06, 10:57 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Well, it's supposed to be a luxury car lol, I want to know exactly what they took out . . .
Interior, sound deadening, sound system, things in the trunk and maybe a few more things
Old 07-08-06, 01:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xioix
Interior, sound deadening, sound system, things in the trunk and maybe a few more things
yup, just all the insulation and lining, that's quite some weight already. together with ac/sound, rear seats, that's quite a bit more too. put in a racing battery and that's some more savings.

sometime i think about it, if i really go and throw out "junks" inside my car, my car is going to get pretty damn light
Old 07-08-06, 07:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, just all the insulation and lining, that's quite some weight already. together with ac/sound, rear seats, that's quite a bit more too. put in a racing battery and that's some more savings.

sometime i think about it, if i really go and throw out "junks" inside my car, my car is going to get pretty damn light
Since you regard luxury features & the rest as "junk ", you can at least take out the back seats of the GS when your parents/sister are not visiting

Quick Reply: Toyota to Enter Hybrid GS450h Sedan in 24-hour Race . . .