Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

2007 LS460L or Wait for 2008 LS600hL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 05:51 PM
syswei
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azmike
Smaller trunk space? Really? Why is that?
Because the batteries are huge. Going by the EPA figures (at fueleconomy.gov) since I don't trust the Lexus numbers for trunk space, the GS300AWD has 13 cu ft of trunk space, but the GS450h has only 8!

My wild guess is that (measured honestly) the LS600hL might have trunk space comparable to a IS, C-class, or 3-series. Not what I'm looking for in a large luxury sedan.
Old 07-15-06, 09:07 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by syswei
Because the batteries are huge. Going by the EPA figures (at fueleconomy.gov) since I don't trust the Lexus numbers for trunk space, the GS300AWD has 13 cu ft of trunk space, but the GS450h has only 8!

My wild guess is that (measured honestly) the LS600hL might have trunk space comparable to a IS, C-class, or 3-series. Not what I'm looking for in a large luxury sedan.
Boy, a trunk that small for the 600hL would be a big dissappointment. I guess I was trying to "get it all" with the 600hL--AWD, all the extras etc AND a BIG trunk. I think I'll sit tight for a bit.
Old 07-17-06, 09:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

personally i would get the 600hl directly. if i have so much money that i can throw around, i would ge the 460l and trade in for the 600hl, but if i were to just get one car now, i would rather get the 600hl directly, when all the bugs are sorted out.

to me 600hl is so much more than just the 460l. all the little changes here and there, and the power with the efficiency of v8. that's what i am looking into

we have to see. fact is toyota / lexus are working on the next generation hybrid system already which is more effiicient and with smaller batteries. so we have to see if that gets into the 08 ls600hl (we knot the soon coming out prius will have it). i agree that the trunk size on the gs450h is stupid (even smaller than my sc430), so hopefully the ls600hl has something more decent

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I personally don't see the point of the LS Hybrid. The LS itself gets decent gas mileage for its size and power. People in this price range don't particularly hurt when filling up. I don't imagine the hybrid will by much quieter, as the LS itself is one of the quietest vehicles on the road and the engine is virtually silent in a closed cabin. It all boils down to the added profitability in the hybrid. Luxury vehicles such as the LS are high profit for carmakers as it is, the LS hybrid is going to be an even bigger cash cow everytime someone drives one off the showroom floor.
the point is lexus will be able to offer v12 performance (or close to) with their great gas mileage of v8. sit inside a s55 or s600 or 760il and you will know how much gas those cars suck up. and in fact, doing hybrid actually might not means more profit to lexus at this point actually (at least not on 600hl i would think)

Originally Posted by drink300
My view is that the 600hL is strictly for prestige purposes. OK, so it has some additional HP and a better transmission, but I am not sure I would pay $100k+ for those options. As a matter of fact, I won't. I already a 460L on order, and I don't plan to exceed $86k on the purchase.
so you will miss the RSES and couple other packages already. the top of the line 460l will cost roughly 94k from another post. and at that price, paying say 10% more for hybrid? i am probably ok (if you can afford it).
Old 07-17-06, 09:51 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
we have to see. fact is toyota / lexus are working on the next generation hybrid system already which is more effiicient and with smaller batteries. so we have to see if that gets into the 08 ls600hl (we knot the soon coming out prius will have it). i agree that the trunk size on the gs450h is stupid (even smaller than my sc430), so hopefully the ls600hl has something more decent.
I hope you're right, but what makes me think that the LS600hL will have the current-generation battery technology is (1) I have read no hints from Lexus that next-gen batteries will be in the LS, and (2) I think the next-gen Prius is a MY2009 car, to be available something like 18 months after the LS600hL.
Old 07-20-06, 09:54 PM
azmike
Rookie

I hope you're right, but what makes me think that the LS600hL will have the current-generation battery technology is (1) I have read no hints from Lexus that next-gen batteries will be in the LS, and (2) I think the next-gen Prius is a MY2009 car, to be available something like 18 months after the LS600hL.
I am glad you brought up the battery/decreased trunk space issue.

So, if I need the larger trunk space I could get an LS460L with everything the LS600hL would offer except: hybrid, awd and LED headlights? Oh yeah, I guess the LS600hL also has different wheels/tires?

I am willing to wait for the LS600hL but I can't handle a small trunk to get it.
Old 07-20-06, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well you will miss the CVT (continuously variable transmission), lsd, and possibly some more stuff. i know the ls600hl they even have spare tire pressure sensor, i don't know if they have it for 460l. and same with the smart card key, not sure if they have it for the 460l. also 600hl will have full leather dash too, i am pretty sure that's not on 460l. shift **** is also different on the 600hl if i remembe rright. who knows what else we are missing.

at least point though, i still don't know how much the trunk will be smaller, if at all. like i said lexus and toyota are working on new hybrid technology, including smaller and more efficient batteries. i agree the 450h trunk size is pretty stupid, and i agree that the 600hl will probably has a bit smaller trunk than the 460l. but would it be as stupid as the 450h? dunno. i would say until i see it
Old 07-20-06, 11:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

depending on did they plan the hybrid option when they started working on the car, it might have large trunk space. Reason GS has compromised trunk space is that its hybrid system was added later in the development process.

If you look at Prius, it has quite nice trunk.

So, making assumptions doesnt work that well when we dont know the facts...
Old 07-21-06, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
depending on did they plan the hybrid option when they started working on the car, it might have large trunk space. Reason GS has compromised trunk space is that its hybrid system was added later in the development process.

just curious, did lexus say anywhere that the 450h wasn't planned in the beginning, thus the small trunk and also elimination of the spare tire?
Old 07-21-06, 01:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
just curious, did lexus say anywhere that the 450h wasn't planned in the beginning, thus the small trunk and also elimination of the spare tire?
not really, but it is obviously added packaging. I bet LS will not lose anything close to the amount of space lost in GS.
Old 07-21-06, 04:14 AM
syswei
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf

The Prius has a nice trunk because the car is a hatchback.

I stand by my prediction, and in fact, would put money on it, if anyone is interested!
Old 07-21-06, 04:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The Prius has a nice trunk because the car is a hatchback.

I stand by my prediction, and in fact, would put money on it, if anyone is interested!
no... it has an nice trunk becuase batteries and car were designed from onset to work together, so they are behind seats. and trunk is deep enough for them to fit.

In GS450h they are simply put on the top of the trunk, because there is no space anywhere else.

with LS they might have had enough time to plan it better and create space for it...