Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Road and Track video: 550i vs. GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 05:48 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road and Track video: 550i vs. GS450h

Web-exclusive video:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3638

Review:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3367

2007 Lexus GS 450h
Saving the world, one drop of fuel at a time.

Pleased as punch with your new Lexus GS 430, you spot the mile marker ahead where the speed limit jumps from 35 to 70 mph. This will be fun, and now another GS is alongside. The limit leaps, you both nail it and with surprising ease he leaves you behind.

Lexus has shifted the hybrid automobile out of the slow-lane, NPR-listening, bless-'em-for-their-dedication people who buy hybrids to save the world. We applaud those drivers, but this is a new animal.

Lexus opened the hybrid-as-fun door a bit with the RX 400h SUV, but kicks it wide with the GS 450h. Get this: Lexus claims the GS hybrid scoots to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, an equal to 60—by our clocks—with the BMW 545i, Dodge Magnum SRT8 and Mercedes-Benz CLK500. Hence the GS 450h's unique nomenclature; its performance corresponds roughly to be that of a 4.5-liter V-8. Top speed for the gas/electric Lexus is said to be 131 mph. Fuel economy? City, highway and combined all in the 27–28 mpg level—what you'd expect from a frugal V-6 sedan.

Externally the GS 450h doesn't look so different, just little "hybrid" labels on the trunk and rocker panels plus distinctive 18-in. wheels. Inside, a power meter replaces the tachometer, and much of the GS 430 option list—short of the nav system and Mark Levinson sound system—is standard in the (we're guessing) $52,999 GS 450h.

Much of the drivetrain is similar to that in the RX 400h hybrid SUV, but with important differences. The engine for the GS is still a V-6, but a 3.5-liter 292-bhp, 267 lb.-ft. of torque Otto-cycle version similar to that in the IS 350 with two fuel injectors per cylinder, one direct, one in the port. Their purpose? To provide good power at both low and high speeds. There are still twin variable-timing camshafts per head and the intake timing is new to smooth transitions when the gasoline engine kicks in with the electric motors.

Because the GS is a "normal" car hybrid, it needed a transmission with about the same dimensions as those of the gasoline GS models, so Lexus developed the world's first longitudinal electronic CVT.

Other elements of this next-generation hybrid are smaller and more compact than in previous hybrids, like the voltage-converting inverter or the pack of 40 nickel/metal hydride batteries cocooned between back seat and trunk. A product of golf-loving Lexus, the GS 450h retains room for two golf bags in back.

As in other Toyota/Lexus hybrids, there are two electric motors: MG1 and MG2. MG1 functions as the generator and starter. MG2, rated at 197 bhp and 203 lb.-ft. of torque, is the motor that provides propulsion, silently launching the GS 450h under normal acceleration and adding supplementary power akin to a silent supercharger at higher speeds. New to the GS 450h is a Ravigneaux gearset which uses its planetary arrays in a manner immediately obvious to automatic transmission experts but a bit mysterious to everyone else. What you should care about is that it offers two speed ranges for the electric power.

Like any true hybrid, the GS 450h can drive away using silent electric power. Plant the throttle and the car's gasoline and electric personalities are combined, very quick but lacking the satisfying guttural V-8 sounds we expect. This isn't bad, just different.

In reality, that oomph-from-zero feeling isn't the best part of the GS 450h. It would be impossible to deal with the torque from the electric/gasoline power systems available from rest, so it is limited accordingly off the line. But get to about 20 mph, nail the throttle and prepare to be impressed. Because of the electronic CVT there is "motorboating," the V-6 shooting up in revs, hanging there and not sounding all that satisfying. But just watch the speedometer needle as it cranks to the right. And, my goodness, is it quiet.

Speed aside, this is not a hot-rodder's car, but more the sedan of aggressive golfers, with room for clubs, plenty of cossetting quiet and luxury, plus stylish good looks. Explaining the premium cost over a GS 430 in terms of saving fuel would be impossible, but there's nothing wrong with driving a techno-wonder. And if you do your bit to save the world, what's wrong with that?
Old 08-04-06, 12:17 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's a manual BMW Vs an Auto GS450h

I wonder how the two would compare if the Bimmer had the auto tranny? That would definately slow down the Bimmer because of the torque converter and extra weight...
Old 08-04-06, 12:21 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ajcsanders
I wonder how the two would compare if the Bimmer had the auto tranny? That would definately slow down the Bimmer because of the torque converter and extra weight...

The new R&T magazine includes a response to a letter to the editor regarding the prior article on this comparo. The question from the reader and the response is about how the 550 and 450h would compare with auto trannys in both cars. The R&T response was that they expected the two cars with auto would be about the same from 0 to 60, but thereafter the 450h would be faster through the quarter mile and at faster speeds the 450h would continue to pull away from the 550.

Too bad the R&T comparo did not include a 450h with the active stabilizer option so there would be more of an apples/apples comparison since the 550 had the sport suspension option as I recall.
Old 08-07-06, 07:50 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There is quite a difference between the ...

active stabilizers and the stock sway bars. When I drove them one after the other through a short slalom course the active stabilizers kept the GS450h flat but not stiff. It was a pleasure to drive. There was additional weight penalty but since it was placed in the spare tire well it actually improved the front / rear weight balance. I don't think the higher selling automatic Bimmer would have liked playing with the GS450h with the active stabilizers. It also would not get the hybrid tax credit. The I-drive might be in the right place but most folks find it cumbersome. The 7 MPG is just another Lexus perk and no guilt for the atmospheric impact either. Can you say paradigm shift?????? Torque on demand. First mod... put in even higher output Lithium Ion batteries and it will be like nitrous..

Rock
Old 08-08-06, 04:16 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Coming from a BMW 5-series myself, It doesn't matter if the BMW was a stick or auto... It's still a great and FUN car to drive. NOTHING I've ever driven comes remotely close in handling featuristics compared to the BMW.
Old 08-09-06, 12:25 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh....i used to have a bmw 5 series too...i liked the handling...but i loved driving my friends 911 turbo....handling on that was crazy!!!...i seriously hope one day i could get one b4 i am 30...heh
Old 08-09-06, 09:23 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

BMW quotes the auto at 1/10th of a second slower than the manual.
Old 08-10-06, 08:57 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Not always true.... (in this case, see previous post from doug_999):

Originally Posted by doug_999
BMW quotes the auto at 1/10th of a second slower than the manual.
Anyhow, with new technology these days, a few of the newer cars are actually faster w/ Auto vs the Manny... For instance, do some research on the new Porsche 997 Turbo. If I'm not mistaken, the auto tip is (in the 60-sec time) ~0.2 seconds faster than the manual tranny... It's pretty amazing what these engineers are able to pull off these days...

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh....i used to have a bmw 5 series too...i liked the handling...but i loved driving my friends 911 turbo....handling on that was crazy!!!...i seriously hope one day i could get one b4 i am 30...heh
Man, I hear you on that, Besides the new BMW M6, I think driving the 996 Turbo is definitely the most fun car to drive. I had a blast and LOVED the combination of it's agility and raw power.... You can't beat that "throw the back of youre head into the headrest" feeling w/ the ability of taking a turn at light speed... Can't wait to drive that new 997 Turbo.... (ps... this is in comparison with such cars as the Murcielage and F360 Modena... too bad I haven't had a chance to pilot a F430 yet...)

*** DISCLAIMER: Dave does NOT own any of the super cars mentioned above... He just drives them like he stole them... (w/ owners consensus of course) ***

Last edited by Eternity3G; 08-10-06 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-10-06, 11:19 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Man, I hear you on that, Besides the new BMW M6, I think driving the 996 Turbo is definitely the most fun car to drive. I had a blast and LOVED the combination of it's agility and raw power.... You can't beat that "throw the back of youre head into the headrest" feeling w/ the ability of taking a turn at light speed... Can't wait to drive that new 997 Turbo.... (ps... this is in comparison with such cars as the Murcielage and F360 Modena... too bad I haven't had a chance to pilot a F430 yet...)

*** DISCLAIMER: Dave does NOT own any of the super cars mentioned above... He just drives them like he stole them... (w/ owners consensus of course) ***

Heh...i have a chance to pilot a F430 spyder...my friend has it in his garage...told me if i wanted to drive it to let me know...but I haven't asked yet....haha...was kinda funny...i had to take him to a place to put the clear bra on the F430 spyder and i was driving my prius...gosh...that car is sooo slow....lol...but I can save the planet and get good MPG's...haha ...I should drive the car soon...cuz it is just collecting dust in the garage....
Old 08-10-06, 01:54 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Heh...i have a chance to pilot a F430 spyder...my friend has it in his garage...told me if i wanted to drive it to let me know...but I haven't asked yet....haha...was kinda funny...i had to take him to a place to put the clear bra on the F430 spyder and i was driving my prius...gosh...that car is sooo slow....lol...but I can save the planet and get good MPG's...haha ...I should drive the car soon...cuz it is just collecting dust in the garage....
Trip to clear bra place:

Toyota Prius: 50 miles = 1 gallon = $3.50
Ferrari F430: 50 miles = 5 gallons = $17.50

Return trip:....
Total: Toyota Prius: 100 miles = 2 gallons = $7.00
Ferrari F430: 100 miles = 10 gallons = $35.00

hehe....
Old 08-10-06, 04:26 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Trip to clear bra place:

Toyota Prius: 50 miles = 1 gallon = $3.50
Ferrari F430: 50 miles = 5 gallons = $17.50

Return trip:....
Total: Toyota Prius: 100 miles = 2 gallons = $7.00
Ferrari F430: 100 miles = 10 gallons = $35.00

hehe....

heh lol
Old 08-15-06, 03:22 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I was disappointed after reading the article and watching the video...
Where is the vs. part? The video shows shots of two cars slowly going down a winding road and some editor's opinions without any context. What about instrumented testing? 0-60 time? Quarter mile time? lateral g's? Time around a reference track of some sort? Nothing...