Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

400H takes REGULAR GAS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 04:06 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
lol.. sorry we crashed it..

i need to look at the owner's manual this weekend to see if the premium gas is recommended or not.

remember.. if the car is not tuned for it, premium gas could actually HURT your power/mileage
I don't think it will HURT the power/mileage because the test that Lexus or whoever that monitors the MPG's for each car use premium unleaded to test the cars with. I believe it even states it on the Lexus site that if you want to achieve the posted MPG's that they used premium unleaded. My belief is that it could help your car since it will make the engine run smoother but a waste of money since your car doesn't require premium unleaded.
Old 08-18-06, 09:13 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
I don't think it will HURT the power/mileage because the test that Lexus or whoever that monitors the MPG's for each car use premium unleaded to test the cars with. I believe it even states it on the Lexus site that if you want to achieve the posted MPG's that they used premium unleaded. My belief is that it could help your car since it will make the engine run smoother but a waste of money since your car doesn't require premium unleaded.
no.. see that's the misconception that people have..
there are pages and pages of this discussion on the net, so i don't want to start one here.. yes, if the manufacturer recommends premium, put in premium.. if they don't, there's NO POINT putting it in..
Old 09-06-06, 07:23 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We are told by Lexus that Premium is the fuel of choice

for the Hybrid. No harm will be done to the engine if a lesser grade was used but mileage is expected to drop which would be counter to one of the motives for buying a hybrid in the first place. If there is no economic benefit to Regular there will be a slight difference in power output of the gas engine with Premium gas. You decide and what price spread amount is currently in your market. I'm still recommending Premium but if we go through another huge increase in gas prices that could change...

Rock
Old 09-06-06, 08:45 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
for the Hybrid. No harm will be done to the engine if a lesser grade was used but mileage is expected to drop which would be counter to one of the motives for buying a hybrid in the first place. If there is no economic benefit to Regular there will be a slight difference in power output of the gas engine with Premium gas. You decide and what price spread amount is currently in your market. I'm still recommending Premium but if we go through another huge increase in gas prices that could change...

Rock
no doubt i put in premium as we speak..
i still didn't get a chance to check the manual yet.. (yes i am lazy)
Old 09-13-06, 10:14 AM
rx400hman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using regular for last 4 months with average of 25MPG. I just put in premium last week and surprisingly got 27.3MPG and I felt the car more response in accel.
I am thinking to keep using premium for now.
Old 09-13-06, 08:01 PM
smalcom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had been running regular in my RX400h, but every so often I noticed the engine would ping under acceleration, so it's back to premium. At least gas prices have dropped so premium is now cheaper than what I was paying for regular a few weeks ago.