Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

400H takes REGULAR GAS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 10:05 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts
Talking 400H takes REGULAR GAS!!!!!

i've been pumpin in premium so far!!

time to change to regular..

maybe this will be my answer to a better gas mileage!! only getting 24 MPG!
Old 08-14-06, 10:36 AM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry but it won't give you better gas mileage. if anything, premium would give you better gas mileage. i've never really tested it in the 400 because i've been using regular since day 1 but in my cherokee, i would get btter gas mileage using premium as opposed to regular.
Old 08-14-06, 11:30 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You will not get better mileage with regular, in fact you may experience a 1-2 mpg reduction, however, you can use regular to save bucks with no running problems!!
I frequently interchange between all 3 grades depending on price and where I'm driving!
Old 08-14-06, 01:10 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by larrytrk
You will not get better mileage with regular, in fact you may experience a 1-2 mpg reduction, however, you can use regular to save bucks with no running problems!!
I frequently interchange between all 3 grades depending on price and where I'm driving!
does it say premium recommended anywhere?
Old 08-14-06, 02:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The vehicles need time to adjust to each type of gas. I have driven a bunch of vehicles, not just my RX300, and the effects on MPG, for the positive or negative, won´t show up until a few tankfuls. I have seen this especially with the pitiful gas I have down here. Only Premium goes in my RX300 south of the border.
Old 08-15-06, 04:52 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Only Premium goes in my RX300 south of the border.
I seem to remember back in the '60's . . . . was it the "green pump" Pemex? . . . that would gag a one lung John Deere . . . They claimed that in addition to the water, sand, grit, mud, and various biota, there was actually some very low octane gasoline in it.

I've heard from several Lexus owners, and now am getting some mileage figures from my 330 that indicate sufficient improvement in mileage to offset the difference in cost. Local dealers are now telling me the same thing. The improvement in smoothness in shifting and acceleration is pretty remarkable too, although with the CVT on the 400h, I would assume that's not a factor.
Old 08-16-06, 09:56 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

no no no.. u guys are not getting it..
yes the 330/350 recommends premium since the ECU was programmed for it.. but the 400H gas engine is DETUNED.. it's only 200hp compared to ~230hp on the 330.. so what I am saying is...was the ECU detuned to take regular octane gas also?
Old 08-16-06, 10:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I seem to remember back in the '60's . . . . was it the "green pump" Pemex? . . . that would gag a one lung John Deere . . . They claimed that in addition to the water, sand, grit, mud, and various biota, there was actually some very low octane gasoline in it.

I've heard from several Lexus owners, and now am getting some mileage figures from my 330 that indicate sufficient improvement in mileage to offset the difference in cost. Local dealers are now telling me the same thing. The improvement in smoothness in shifting and acceleration is pretty remarkable too, although with the CVT on the 400h, I would assume that's not a factor.
Well, the colors have changed...cannot remember which is which offhand, but diesel is defnitely black, I think green is the Magna (like regular) and Red is premium if I got that right. Right now Magna is 87 octane and Premium is 92, but it used to be 93 (or maybe it was always 92 but someone may have spilled the beans )

There used to be a Nova, which was leaded gas, but that was phased out before the end of the century.

The green Magna is pure junk...very high sulfur content.

If any of you go over the border, make sure to use only Premium.
Old 08-16-06, 11:26 AM
FrankGVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made some tests with 95 , 98 and 100.

I really see a positive difference for the milage in increasing the degree, but the extra price at the bottom line cancel all differences and make no interest !

So I continue with 95 as it is what is recommended

In Switzerland, Europe
Old 08-16-06, 11:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FrankGVA

I really see a positive difference for the milage in increasing the degree, but the extra price at the bottom line cancel all differences and make no interest !

In Switzerland, Europe
That is interesting about your octanes. Except at a racetrack, we never get that high on octane at the gas station, U.S. or here in Mexico.

BTW, I love your country, I spent many a summer with my family in a tiny town called Lenk.
Old 08-16-06, 01:32 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

In Switzerland, Europe
do u drive a 400H? if not, it's invalid for this discussion
Old 08-16-06, 01:32 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That is interesting about your octanes. Except at a racetrack, we never get that high on octane at the gas station, U.S. or here in Mexico.

BTW, I love your country, I spent many a summer with my family in a tiny town called Lenk.
Europe uses a different rating system..
so it's still the same gas as the US.. 87,89,91,92,93
Old 08-16-06, 01:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Europe uses a different rating system..
so it's still the same gas as the US.. 87,89,91,92,93
OK.
Old 08-17-06, 09:09 AM
FrankGVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the information of some of yours, this forum is named : RX400H Forum.
So I have one. 2006,
It it really pity to see there is so few talks with US vs Europe.

I try to convert in US gallon and MPG each time for your understanding; remember that your measurement systems have strictly no international official value in the world (This is why you crashed a satellite on MARS 2 years ago...);

Next : I have plan a trip in CAL next feb 2007. I hope to buy some new technologies to upgrade my 400H by CALCAR
Old 08-17-06, 09:29 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

For the information of some of yours, this forum is named : RX400H Forum.
So I have one. 2006,
It it really pity to see there is so few talks with US vs Europe.

I try to convert in US gallon and MPG each time for your understanding; remember that your measurement systems have strictly no international official value in the world (This is why you crashed a satellite on MARS 2 years ago...);

Next : I have plan a trip in CAL next feb 2007. I hope to buy some new technologies to upgrade my 400H by CALCAR
lol.. sorry we crashed it..

i need to look at the owner's manual this weekend to see if the premium gas is recommended or not.

remember.. if the car is not tuned for it, premium gas could actually HURT your power/mileage

Quick Reply: 400H takes REGULAR GAS!!!!!