Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Fortune: E320 Bluetec vs GS450h = another shortsighted magzine reviewer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 03:54 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that ricky is missing the point of the article - the goal was not to compare MB E against Lexus GS hybrid per se, but to compare diesels against hybrids, in general (and to drum up some support for the diesel, OK).

But think about it: if the advancements in cleaning diesel exhaust succeed, we will be looking at very economical and practical cars that require no battery packs weighing several hundred pounds (and that noone so far has figured out how to dispose of when they are used up).

Even if hybrids ultimately will prove to be the superior engineering choice, it is likely that they will be diesel-electric hybrids, rather than gas-electric.

Something to think about is that Toyota is heavily betting on the hybrid technology (rightly so, at this point), but what about its diesel program? Toyota is enjoying tremendous success with its hybrid technology because it has the most mature technology right now (at least among carmakers). MB is in a similar place right now, as far as disels are concerned.
I just hope Toyota doesn't miss the boat on diesels.
Old 10-05-06, 05:09 PM
AudiMan
Driver

MB at similar pace? Lets not forget about Audi, they got the first turbo diesel race car in the R10.
Old 10-05-06, 06:17 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AudiMan
MB at similar pace? Lets not forget about Audi, they got the first turbo diesel race car in the R10.
I said "in a similar place", not "at similar pace" .
As far as Audi (VW): I don't really see a diesel race engine being relevant to current car production market needs, as far as emissions are concerned. Remember that emissions are the biggest hurdle for the diesels to overcome in the US market, with CAARB having (one of the?) toughest emissions standards in the world. I do acknowledge that they had a diesel presence for the last ~8 years that I have been following the car scene (although, with the exception of the Toureg's recent and excellent V10, it has been a puny 1.9L producing 90hp/140lbft in the Jetta/Golf. MB's new 3.0L bluetec has 221hp/400lbft, which is plenty for an mid-size lux sedan such as the E-class.
Also, drivers of gas cars benefit from more diesel engines on the road, as diesel tends to use up the lower quality, lower octane portion of oil, leaving higher octane gas (in Spain, where ~50% of cars on the road are diesels, the lowest octane I have seen at a gas pump is 95).
Old 10-05-06, 07:14 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Dave did you change my thread title?
You party pooper.

Guys I saw this same thing posted on mbworld. I wanted to see the response I'd get here.

BORING!
Old 10-05-06, 07:15 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone hates Lexus even the compatition.
Old 10-07-06, 07:54 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

i hate to say it but how exactly is the GS hybrid environmentally friendly???? Isn't the purpose of a hybrid to get significantly better gas mileage ?
Old 10-07-06, 09:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

GS450h is a technical wonder, but economy isn't impressive and 7.5cu. ft of trunk space is lame. It's for geeks who want to 'look' environmentally friendly.
Old 10-08-06, 07:59 PM
carminesc
Rookie

i thought the point of the hybrid gs was to provide better performance without the environmental costs associated with those gains. the car seems friendlier to the environment than either the 300/350/430. friendlier with more performance seemed to me to be the goal. diesel is making up ground, but as stated before, our crisis is with oil and technical advancements that are made to alleviate that dependence on oil should be welcome. the tech that the gs hybrid has brought us gives us much more hope that the concept cars out now since we see it in action on a daily basis. eventually they will perfect the system as to allow little or no use of gasoline/diesel at all. then the aforementioned comparo will be pointless. just my 2 cents
Old 10-08-06, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
i hate to say it but how exactly is the GS hybrid environmentally friendly???? Isn't the purpose of a hybrid to get significantly better gas mileage ?
The hybrid runs much cleaner from an emmisions standpoint. In Europe, they get taxed for this so that is a huge selling point there.