Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h vs LS460

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
I'm only 33!!
I'm not old enough to drive LS460, yet!
did it say anywhere that 33 yr old is not "old" enough to own ls460? i am 28, i am looking into buying one already

Originally Posted by Lubs
I bet the GS450h sells for over the MSRP, but nonetheless it's priced cheaper than a GS430. And if you option in everything that comes standard with it on a GS300, it's even cheaper than that. Not to mention the tax rebates.

The real question is GS450h or GS430.
lexus does not allow any dealership to sell cars at over msrp. however dealerships can put on tint and charge 500 bucks, chrome wheels for 6000, etc... so that's applied to all models
Old 10-31-06, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Threxx
The GS450h just doesn't make sense to me. Its performance is no better than the GS350 and it will get eaten alive when the GS460 comes out - OK it will get a little better gas mileage than either of those other two, but really, the difference is pretty small and if you're spending that much on a car like this, a few MPG difference probably won't be something your wallet ever notices.

Add to that the almost guaranteed added cost of ownership in the later years including replacing or rebuilding the electric motor, batteries, etc, etc...

I just don't get it. Worse yet is the RX400h now side by side with the RX350.

With that said I think the #1 thing that might keep me from going to the LS460 from the GS460 is that on the LS there is no AVS unless you go with the more expensive and even heavier/larger long wheelbase version. The GS460 on the other hand will have AVS standard as well as I think some sort of dynamic roll bars as well, right?
1) the gs450h is far quieter, the gs350 is LOUD
2) the gs450h is much smoother coz' it has cvt
3) the gs450h is still a bit faster i believe
4) the gs450h has far better handling with the **** (did i get the term right this time?), whereas with gs350 i don't think you can get it. it's night and day

gs450h over gs350? any day for me. gs450h an indication of gs460? i truly believe so
Old 10-31-06, 09:18 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wavesonic
With GS430, the manager from the dealership told me that there's a 13k Cdn rebate on the 06 GS430s fully loaded on the lot, which makes it cheaper than GS450h.
I wasn't aware of the rebate, that makes quite a difference. Just for clarification, when pricing the GS450h on Lexus.ca, I see there's only a standard package that has the Mark Levinson. Does this include Navigation as I assume? Because this is a $14K option on the 430 and would tip the scales (rebate aside).

Originally Posted by rainforest
Threxx: Actually, the gas mileage is quite impressive. I also own a 4 cylinder 1999 Honda Accord, and my GS gets better mileage. I get 11 litres/100km on my GS so far in the city - that's a pretty good figure. But you'll have to figure out how to convert that into mpg.
Good ol' Google tells me that's 21.4 mpg (search query: "11 L/ 100 km in mpg"). I get about 18-20 mpg in my GS400 (12.4 L/ 100 km). Not that big a difference. Our 1999 Honda Accord V6 gets significantly better fuel economy than the GS, probably around 23 mpg. I find 'sporty' driving has a huge effect on gas mileage, particularly in the GS. Perhaps you're enjoying the new purchase?
Old 10-31-06, 09:26 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lubs
I wasn't aware of the rebate, that makes quite a difference. Just for clarification, when pricing the GS450h on Lexus.ca, I see there's only a standard package that has the Mark Levinson. Does this include Navigation as I assume? Because this is a $14K option on the 430 and would tip the scales (rebate aside).

Good ol' Google tells me that's 21.4 mpg (search query: "11 L/ 100 km in mpg"). I get about 18-20 mpg in my GS400 (12.4 L/ 100 km). Not that big a difference. Our 1999 Honda Accord V6 gets significantly better fuel economy than the GS, probably around 23 mpg. I find 'sporty' driving has a huge effect on gas mileage, particularly in the GS. Perhaps you're enjoying the new purchase?
I don't think this rebate is public, I was bargining with the manager for the GS450h, he is nice enouf to show me all his invoice prices from his booklet, which he had $7k profit to work with for the GS450h. But with fully loaded GS430 on his lot, he has $13k to work with because of the rebate.

Yes, Navigation comes standard on GS450h.
Old 10-31-06, 09:36 PM
LexFather

1. I love both cars.
2. I findthe GS 450h to be currently the grandest Hybrid every made and one of the most technologically advanced cars ever made.
3. I find the LS just upstates its smaller cheaper brother LIKE a proper FLAGSHIP should. Lexus made the LS to be one of the greatest cars ever made. I like the 3GS but some decisions make me scratch my head. Clearly not the same team of engineers.

If you have the money, the LS> GS 450h.

I am younger though, late 20s and I just cannot see myself driving a LS right now. I can see myself in a GS, so that car is for me.

So what car IS FOR YOU?
Old 10-31-06, 10:14 PM
rainforest
Rookie

Wave: The hybrid tax credit of $2000 in BC is known to everybody. It is definitely public knowledge. I'm sure you got it when you bought your car. However, the dealer was super firm on the GS450h price when I bought it. He barely gave me any discount.

Also, if you do the Nav bypass, won't that void your warranty? I'm paranoid to take apart my dash board when the car is so new. Sounds like a lot of trouble, and the whole idea of cutting wires and possibly screwing up my new car scares me. But it is true, the bypass would be great to avoid the screen blanking when you're driving.
Old 10-31-06, 10:19 PM
wavesonic
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wave: The hybrid tax credit of $2000 in BC is known to everybody. It is definitely public knowledge. I'm sure you got it when you bought your car. However, the dealer was super firm on the GS450h price when I bought it. He barely gave me any discount.

Also, if you do the Nav bypass, won't that void your warranty? I'm paranoid to take apart my dash board when the car is so new. Sounds like a lot of trouble, and the whole idea of cutting wires and possibly screwing up my new car scares me. But it is true, the bypass would be great to avoid the screen blanking when you're driving.
Hehe, the manager was super nice to me since this is the 3rd Lex I got from that dealership within the past 2 years.
Old 10-31-06, 10:26 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. I love both cars.
2. I findthe GS 450h to be currently the grandest Hybrid every made and one of the most technologically advanced cars ever made.
3. I find the LS just upstates its smaller cheaper brother LIKE a proper FLAGSHIP should. Lexus made the LS to be one of the greatest cars ever made. I like the 3GS but some decisions make me scratch my head. Clearly not the same team of engineers.

If you have the money, the LS> GS 450h.

I am younger though, late 20s and I just cannot see myself driving a LS right now. I can see myself in a GS, so that car is for me.

So what car IS FOR YOU?
I'm 18 and I have a LS430.
You're always making lists, I love it.
Old 10-31-06, 10:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by vraa
I'm 18 and I have a LS430.
You're always making lists, I love it.
Like I said, which car IS FOR YOU. You're like my younger sister, loves big body cars. I don't, not for me yet.

I like my lists.
Old 10-31-06, 10:56 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Like I said, which car IS FOR YOU. You're like my younger sister, loves big body cars. I don't, not for me yet.

I like my lists.
Now this younger sister of yours...

1sicklex - I like your lists too, get the points across.

I know there is something like that in America, does anyone know the particulars?
Old 10-31-06, 11:19 PM
Eritsuke
Driver

I was thinking about this discussion and I found it here on the 3GS forum, except my mind was thinking something a whole lot different. I think in order to tell which car you really want, I think that you have to test it both, you have to compare it. Realistically, I like the LS more, I am actually planning on buying an LS460L even though I have a UL LS430, but then I was thinking about another car that wasn't an LS, I thought of either a GS or IS, I was leaning towards the IS, but when I went into the dealership and was asking around, I saw a GS430 and the saleman told me about the GS460 that he thinks I should wait for. That's when I was also talking to a sales manager about trying to get me OTD with an IS350. I didn't take the offer because I wanted to think about it more. Although, the feeling of the GS430 is something else, something really fun to drive also.
Old 11-01-06, 12:32 AM
sas
Driver School Candidate

I'm a BMW guy that has finally given in to Lexus reliability and customer satisfaction. The GS is more sport oriented than the LS, and with the long wheelbase and reclining/massaging rear seat options, the LS looks more to be pointed at the "I ride in the back" crowd. I was getting excited about the LS600h till I found out it was long wheelbase only -- perhaps they will do an SC600 (I could live with no back seat).

I shipped my 450h in from California (to FL) so I could get my preferred options (adaptive suspension) and color choice -- no doubt I could have picked up a local LS460 for very little more than what the GS ended up costing. I'm very happy with the 450h, and will stay with it till Lexus comes out with a higher performance hybrid...
Old 11-01-06, 07:08 AM
rainforest
Rookie

I agree the GS450h is more sporty than the LS, but the cornering is still not that amazing. The car still has some body roll into the corners. Mind you, I don't have the active stabilizer option. The BMW 5 series has better handling.
Old 11-01-06, 09:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I agree the GS450h is more sporty than the LS, but the cornering is still not that amazing. The car still has some body roll into the corners. Mind you, I don't have the active stabilizer option. The BMW 5 series has better handling.
i thought all gs450h comes with that? or only in the US?

if not, i agree the handling isn't all that good
Old 11-01-06, 09:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought all gs450h comes with that? or only in the US?

if not, i agree the handling isn't all that good
The **** option isn't even made available in Canada for the GS450h

Quick Reply: GS450h vs LS460