Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

New RX400h dies on day 3.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 05:22 AM
Plug Guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX400h dies on day 3.

Wow, that was strange. Drove it home from dealer Saturday (had 20 miles on it, driven twice, just got in). Drove it short ride Sunday, drove some stop/go on Monday, parked it.

Wednesday evening got in to set up some Navigation and Phone stuff, turned it on but not 'engine on' and worked the nav for about 3 minutes. Car shut off completely while entering data.

Figured I need to let it 'run' so I cranked it. Click--Click--Click. Wow, heard that before, sounded like dead battery. Lights still worked. Gave it a few minutes, tried again. Dead.

Called Roadside, said I would need a jump. I figured that. I jumped it myself, all is well again. Drove it about 45 minutes, hoping to do whatever I needed to charge that beast for regular use.

But does this say the standard battery (under hood, not hybrid motor related) suck, or perhaps it was on the boat long enough to just suck it dry?

Guess the documents about leaving it for 2 weeks might give one some pause. I'm thinking about getting the lighter plug jumper just in case wife has it out and it dies.

Is this thing that much of a problem, or is this perhaps an isolated case of not enough driving to charge things up?
Old 11-24-06, 06:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Plug Guy
Wow, that was strange. Drove it home from dealer Saturday (had 20 miles on it, driven twice, just got in). Drove it short ride Sunday, drove some stop/go on Monday, parked it.

Wednesday evening got in to set up some Navigation and Phone stuff, turned it on but not 'engine on' and worked the nav for about 3 minutes. Car shut off completely while entering data.

Figured I need to let it 'run' so I cranked it. Click--Click--Click. Wow, heard that before, sounded like dead battery. Lights still worked. Gave it a few minutes, tried again. Dead.

Called Roadside, said I would need a jump. I figured that. I jumped it myself, all is well again. Drove it about 45 minutes, hoping to do whatever I needed to charge that beast for regular use.

But does this say the standard battery (under hood, not hybrid motor related) suck, or perhaps it was on the boat long enough to just suck it dry?

Guess the documents about leaving it for 2 weeks might give one some pause. I'm thinking about getting the lighter plug jumper just in case wife has it out and it dies.

Is this thing that much of a problem, or is this perhaps an isolated case of not enough driving to charge things up?
while hybrids have smaller batteries, it is not an common problem, unless you leave it for more than few weeks.

it is dealer problem since they should have checked that before...
Old 11-24-06, 07:30 PM
justfixit
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would be real curious as to what the click-click-click noise was seeing there is no starter on this vehicle.
Old 11-24-06, 11:21 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that the car was off and not running on batteries? When the gas engine is not needed, especially in idle, the engines shut down and appears off. Did you try putting in gear and driving?
Every morning, after turning on my engine, it shuts off after about 30secs. I put it in drive and off to work I go.
Old 11-24-06, 11:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

relays from the system
Old 11-26-06, 06:49 AM
Plug Guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clickety Click must have been relays, it was inside the vehicle and not mechanical noise.

Car is fine now. No, was not 'on' with batteries, no ready light, dead dash, no nav screen, etc. Dead as a doornail.
Old 11-26-06, 01:19 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Between this and the surging problem, I'd say go to the dealer and they will probably give you a new battery. It could have an internal short, and certainly wasn't helped if it did die. They will probably also check the electrical system to make sure you don't have a failing part.