Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

15,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 01:11 PM
eleman73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15,000 mile service

Local dealer here in Richmond VA is asking $450 for 15,000 mile service? isn't it too much, I have checked the service manual, they are not doing much comparing with 10,000 mile service which cost $79. Any comment? should I do that at the dealer, if not how can I turn off the "service required" warning on the screen? Can you guys tell me how much it cost to you for 15,000 mile service?
Thanks
Old 11-27-06, 05:43 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

we charge 499+ tax
Old 12-10-06, 11:58 AM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I was charged $479. They did "forget" to reset my service soon notification and walked me through it over the phone. I have slept since then (code for I forgot exactly how) but it was simple to reset. It seemed it was holding the odometer button in and turning the key on. I'm sure someone else can chime in here with the correct procedure.
Old 12-10-06, 02:13 PM
katzjamr
Driver

my 5K, 10K, and 15K service were all $125 each at the lexus dealer that sold me the vehicle. that is a lube, oil and filter and battery test and tire rotation with a car wash and vaccum inside. what did they do for $479?
Old 12-10-06, 04:19 PM
spamcop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by katzjamr
my 5K, 10K, and 15K service were all $125 each at the lexus dealer that sold me the vehicle. that is a lube, oil and filter and battery test and tire rotation with a car wash and vaccum inside. what did they do for $479?
Allegedly, the did everything in the owners manual. This included some filter changes. I don't have the manual handy, but I did see the "bill" matched up exactly.
Old 12-11-06, 04:32 PM
eleman73
Driver School Candidate

Default What is the differences?

There is nothing different except 2 or 3 bolt checks (not replacement) between 10K service and 15K service. 10K is $79 here while 15K is $450...

I will do the service in my mechanic, will make him sign that service is done properly. I have only warranty concerns here, if something happens later do they have the right to say because I did not complete 15K service at the dealer..
Comment please...
Thanks
Old 12-14-06, 07:17 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Just got my 15K service done at Lexus of Tucson. Price was $374, about $125 less than their 15K service on an RX350. Difference has to do with fluid change on transmission required on the 350 but not needed on the 400h. The loaner car was a new ES350. Really nice car, but even with the higher power and 6 speed auto, I prefer the 400h transmission. I had a couple of unexpected part throttle downshifts that were a little unsettleing. Neighbors really liked the ES350 styling and color, Starfire Pearl. I think my neighbor accross the street was at the local Lexus dealer today re the ES350.
Steve
Old 12-15-06, 05:41 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My last loaner was an RX350 and I was unimpressed, I much prefer my 06 400h for tranny smoothness, the engine clunk not withstanding, and quietness.
350 has much more perceptable shifts.
Old 01-05-07, 12:32 AM
eleman73
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota service instead of Lexus

I have learned that Toyota also offers all services for Lexus vehicles here in Richmond, I asked them how much the 15 K service for RX400H is. It is incredible,, just $175. I have checked their service sheets and it is the same exact service and changes Lexus offers which is $450. The only down side is they dont have fancy places to sit and no wireless connection for laptops....
Old 01-05-07, 07:13 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have your Lexus serviced at Toyota do they enter it into the Lexus database? Do they provide a loaner and wash your car? Do they try to "sell" you other services? Do they offer "free" replacements for what they find might not be working properly like a battery?
I'm just curious because I know that when I have my car serviced at Lexus I have peace of mind. They find things I never noticed and replaced the defective parts. They've covered things that I'd never guess they would. They do a whole lot of good will service to their customers. In the end it has amounted to a sizeable sum.
Old 01-05-07, 08:39 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
If you have your Lexus serviced at Toyota do they enter it into the Lexus database? Do they provide a loaner and wash your car? Do they try to "sell" you other services? Do they offer "free" replacements for what they find might not be working properly like a battery?
I'm just curious because I know that when I have my car serviced at Lexus I have peace of mind. They find things I never noticed and replaced the defective parts. They've covered things that I'd never guess they would. They do a whole lot of good will service to their customers. In the end it has amounted to a sizeable sum.
Toyota dealership will not enter the service into the Lexus database. However, as long as you keep good track on your own car's service record, then the Lexus database is not such a big deal.

For service, you can save a lot of money by taking it to your local Toyota dealer who has certified technician qualified to work on hybrid vehicles (Highlander). They are using the same Toyota parts. For warranty issues, go back to the Lexus dealer.

Actually it's the Lexus dealership who try to "sell" me a lot of stuffs I don't need, and never have this problem at the Toyota dealership I went to -- indeed, they usually tell me not to waste the money when I raise some question about if I should get the fluid flush or something similar. There's this time I asked the Lexus service rep that I don't need item #3 and #4 and just perform item #1 and #2 on their so-called "Service A" (for example, I don't need new wiper insert, no need to do wheel balancing and rotation, etc), and ask if it will be cheaper that way. He told me the "a la carte" service will actually cost me more. I was like, what duh. I am going to take my wife's RX to the Toyota dealer next time.
Old 01-05-07, 11:06 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by larrytrk
My last loaner was an RX350 and I was unimpressed, I much prefer my 06 400h for tranny smoothness, the engine clunk not withstanding, and quietness.
350 has much more perceptable shifts.

i failed to see wut ur talkin about, my mom has a brand new RX350 with 700 miles on it, and it shifts like a champ
Old 01-06-07, 06:09 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

CVT vs Standard auto Tranny! Smooth, but not as smooth as CVT!
Old 01-06-07, 07:43 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larrytrk
CVT vs Standard auto Tranny! Smooth, but not as smooth as CVT!
Again, no right or wrong answer. The tranny on the 350 is way better than the 330. It's plenty smooth and is more intelligent than the old one. The CVT of course will be "smoother" because there's no gear at all, but I don't feel I am in full control with the car with the CVT because there's no gear to downshift to when you want to accelerate or engine braking. Plus I found the CVT way much noisier than the standard auto transmission during full-throttle acceleration.

With AWD, and given the same tire, the 350 will have better traction and maneuverability.
Old 01-11-07, 05:38 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Toyota Dealer Wireless Internet Connection

My Toyota dealer DOES have a wireless connection available in the service waiting area.

And, I have never dealt with service writers who were more loathe to add extra and unnecessary procedures to a visit.

For example, I just had our Sienna minivan in for an oil change at 34K miles. I didn't check the recommended list in the manual, but we've had it for over two years and at that mileage, I assumed they would recommend a coolant change.

When I brought it up to the writer, he said that Toyotas have "long-life coolant" in them and it wasn't necessary to do. He did congratulate me for thinking about it, though.

I've been dealing with these guys on and off since 1984 and they've always been that way.

Now, my Nissan guy ALWAYS tries to add unnecessary and expensive stuff. I just say, "No Thanks!" Always gotta be on your toes at that place.

Quick Reply: 15,000 mile service