Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Rebates and Tax Credits

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07 | 11:13 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree, and this is on the web site prominently after the credit amounts:
The benefit of the hybrid vehicle tax credit will also be substantially reduced or eliminated if the individual purchaser is subject to the federal alternative minimum tax (AMT). Individual purchasers and corporations who have business use of the hybrid vehicle are subject to different tax laws that may also substantially reduce or eliminate the tax benefits. Again, it is recommended that you consult a tax or accounting professional when claiming a deduction or credit on your income tax return.
Old 04-24-07 | 01:26 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea BUT...

Originally Posted by jim256
Agree, and this is on the web site prominently after the credit amounts:
Too bad it wasn't on that site when we were all purchasing our vehicles rather than waiting until tax filling time for them to place it up there. Poor/deceptive advertising practices if you ask me. Not at all what I would expect from Toyota/Lexus but more like a typcial used car salesman...

August 1st through March 31st, 2007 story...."Yea, this 2006 Hybrid qualifies for the $3,150 tax credit IF you buy it before October 2006 when the volume targets are hit by Toyota Corporate..."

April 1st story "...as listed on the site..."
Old 04-25-07 | 07:38 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The same disclaimer was there when I bought in July, so I doubt it was added recently. It has probably been there since the first hybrid credit data. I would not cast any stones Lexus' way. Doing your own tax planning is essential. For instance, if you don't pay $2200 in tax (the credit when I bought) in the year of purchase, because of other tax avoidance or loss steps, you don't get the credit, either. There's no carryover.
Old 04-25-07 | 07:59 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Call your senator!!!!!

The information on the current and past Tax Incentives is on the www.aceee.com web site ....... these are the guy's that worked out the 26 page equasion that was formulated to figuare which vehicle got what Tax Break number.

AND DON'T BLAME your dealership or your salesperson ............ congress and the irs are the ones that bit into your Tax Incentive ........ The IRS was suppose to send out information and qualifications to each Hybrid owner stating what you were entitled to and how to collect it .......... NEVER DONE. Congress is the ones to authorize the AMT TAX so they they can give themselves another 4% Raise and fatten there Retirement portfolo's. There the ones that neglected to inform anyone that the AMT Tax was going to be subtracted from this Tax Incentive. Thank you government for this one ....... we knew nothing about it until you did. Hell it took me 24 days with the IRS in order to let them know that I was just going to have my people report it on a Form 8910 in order to get it moving. Then they come out with these stipulations.

Again Thank Uncle Sam and leave your Sales Guy or Gal alone.........
Old 04-25-07 | 08:44 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Hmmm, seems that the sales guys are claiming ignorance as a defense. OK, I guess that's valid. To my apparent neighbor, Jim (both in NC), I do my own tax planning and a the time I bought our HiHy, there was no such information on the Toyota site and since you didn't post what site you say you saw this on, I don't know what site you are referring to (IRS.gov by any chance)? In either case, it's all crying over spilled milk at this point. The majority of us are all grown ups and this probably isn't the first time the Government has stepped on us. As most are already aware and Jim outlined in this thread, this is a "one-time" deal in that the credit is ONLY in the year acquired and ONLY for new vehicle purchases and is NOT applicable for people leasing their vehicle and as the years go by this "psuedo-credit" dissapears completely for other "new car buyers" as well.

And a special note for those of you who thought you were being "green" by buying a Hybrid car...quoted from one of the greatest authors of our decade stated...

"True, they (Hybrid cars) burn less gasoline but the pollution expended in their development and production FAR outpaces what the consumer saves by driving such a vehicle. They are merily a ploy to give a handfull of concenencious people (the members of this forum) a sense that they are doing their share to help the enviornment when in fact they are doing the opposite. They believe the mis-guided notion that technology can "somehow" save the planet when it was technology that doomed it in the first place"....

Now, that particular quote was by the antagonist in the story and may seem a little dramatic but the reality is that it DOES cost the environment more (today) to build a Hybrid than it returns (in savings) to the future...but you do have to start somewhere and if we (us early adopters) did not demonstrate this support, we would never get to the place (in time) where future hybrids would be environmentally accretive.

Last edited by bunka; 04-25-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-25-07 | 06:56 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
"True, they (Hybrid cars) burn less gasoline but the pollution expended in their development and production FAR outpaces what the consumer saves by driving such a vehicle. They are merily a ploy to give a handfull of concenencious people (the members of this forum) a sense that they are doing their share to help the enviornment when in fact they are doing the opposite. They believe the mis-guided notion that technology can "somehow" save the planet when it was technology that doomed it in the first place"....
Can you tell me the person you're quoting above? Whether the above statement is true or not doesn't really get to the root of the issue for me. I think that consumers purchasing decisions are what's going to drive the manufacturers to dedicate more time and resources towards developing more hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. Our purchases of the 400h or other hybrids is going to help shape the direction of the automotive manufacturers. We're telling them that hybrids are a viable consumer market for them and they need to be paying attention to. The more hybrids we purchase, will in turn increase demand, and sharpen their focus. Maybe in ten or fifteen years, fifty percent of all vehicles will be hybrids. If this were to occur, I think it will be hard to dispute there would be a positive impact on the environment and lessen our dependence on foreign oil. The oil reserves aren't going to last forever, we have no choice but to find alternatives. I'm very concerned about the availability of non-replenishable natural resources such as oil as the industrial revolution in just starting to wind up over in countries such as China and India. There's only so much to go around, and everyone is going to be vying for the same resources which will put oil and gas prices through the roof in my opinion.

Jim
Old 04-27-07 | 03:12 PM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Hybrid Incentives

Here is a link to find out what your state and the Fed's are offering you when you PURCHASE a NEW Hybrid.........

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_118/

Remember Lexus/Toyota is the only Maker currently effected by the 60K cap!!!!!!!! Damn politicians........
Old 04-27-07 | 03:32 PM
TWQ83
Rookie

Default Congress

Originally Posted by bunka
Hmmm, seems that the sales guys are claiming ignorance as a defense. OK, I guess that's valid. To my apparent neighbor, Jim (both in NC), I do my own tax planning and a the time I bought our HiHy, there was no such information on the Toyota site and since you didn't post what site you say you saw this on, I don't know what site you are referring to (IRS.gov by any chance)? In either case, it's all crying over spilled milk at this point. The majority of us are all grown ups and this probably isn't the first time the Government has stepped on us. As most are already aware and Jim outlined in this thread, this is a "one-time" deal in that the credit is ONLY in the year acquired and ONLY for new vehicle purchases and is NOT applicable for people leasing their vehicle and as the years go by this "psuedo-credit" dissapears completely for other "new car buyers" as well.

And a special note for those of you who thought you were being "green" by buying a Hybrid car...quoted from one of the greatest authors of our decade stated...

Now, that particular quote was by the antagonist in the story and may seem a little dramatic but the reality is that it DOES cost the environment more (today) to build a Hybrid than it returns (in savings) to the future...but you do have to start somewhere and if we (us early adopters) did not demonstrate this support, we would never get to the place (in time) where future hybrids would be environmentally accretive.
My mistake it was a 2% COL Pay raise .......FOR THE 7th STRAIGHT YEAR!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13304680/

AND, your right about Toyota Being just as much to blame ....... since they knew and said nothing to anyone until lately......... Most of the Dealerships and Salespeople didn't take the time to find out hence I guess Pleading is the norm for them ............ Some of us tried to find out the fact which were never presented to us or verified one way or another until the TAX lawyers got into it.

OK I'm done ranting..........