Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Engine "push" on breaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 10:10 AM
elmagnus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine "push" on breaking

After 1000 problem-free miles I began experiencing a significant "push" while braking at low speed. It was so obvious that I had to step on the break pedal to keep the car from running out into the pedestrian-crossing in front. Since then it has happened at numerous occasions, though less obvoius. It feels like the drive kicks in harder when you hit the break pedal gently, instead of shutting the engine off and go into "charge mode". The phenomenon comes and goes.

On the 1000 miles service the dealership have tried some to look into the problem, but came out without any explanation. I am going to swap cars with one of the salesmen, driving a RXh.

I don't want to be pushed forward into something I am trying to avoid by breaking.

As I write it's no problem. It's 10 dgrees and the car is dead...

AAA are coming and the car will be heading for a checkup.

Anybody out there having the same problem?
Old 01-25-07, 10:44 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

i thought that was normal..
Old 01-25-07, 04:25 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My loaner RX400H is doing the same thing.

The brake pedal feels completely normal until the last few feet of coming to a complete stop. At that point in time it almost feels like the ABLS is cycling (remember how bad that was on the original ABLS cars?).
Old 02-08-07, 02:55 PM
yummyutoo
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by elmagnus
After 1000 problem-free miles I began experiencing a significant "push" while braking at low speed. It was so obvious that I had to step on the break pedal to keep the car from running out into the pedestrian-crossing in front. Since then it has happened at numerous occasions, though less obvoius. It feels like the drive kicks in harder when you hit the break pedal gently, instead of shutting the engine off and go into "charge mode". The phenomenon comes and goes.

On the 1000 miles service the dealership have tried some to look into the problem, but came out without any explanation. I am going to swap cars with one of the salesmen, driving a RXh.

I don't want to be pushed forward into something I am trying to avoid by breaking.

As I write it's no problem. It's 10 dgrees and the car is dead...

AAA are coming and the car will be heading for a checkup.

Anybody out there having the same problem?

I had a similar problem, while braking at 20-25 mph, I would feel like the braking system was pushing forward. I just had my 5000 mile service done and explained what I felt. Also my brake lights would not come on if I were braking lightly. I explained this to the service tech, and he adjusted my brake switch. After that adjustment, braking is alot easier and comfortable. HE said there are two components to the system and if one is slightly off, that could make a world of difference.
Old 02-08-07, 05:39 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing; especially when not warmed up, and going downhill. I took it to the dealer and they did something to fix it. It's fine now.
Old 02-12-07, 11:17 PM
jujubee
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm I thought it was normal. I just assumed it was the "degenerative brakes". It's a good thing I read this, I think I'll get it checked out.
Old 02-13-07, 02:58 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jujubee
Hmmm I thought it was normal. I just assumed it was the "degenerative brakes". It's a good thing I read this, I think I'll get it checked out.
It's not DE it's RE...

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 02-24-07, 12:38 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

I get this when driving slowly and crossing over a bump/hole or other similar road distortion. The car quickly goes from regenerative to disk braking. In my case, its not a "push", rather is it a brief moment where there is less braking occuring and this gives me the feel the car has sped up. In my case the car is not speeding up, just momentarily holding off braking.
Old 02-24-07, 01:03 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have it also, I had the 60 MPH surge fix done, which I didn't really need, but no fix for the above!
Would like to know what the fix was for this!!
Old 02-24-07, 02:02 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

all braking for the hybrids is through the regenerative braking system, except for emergency stops OR the last 5-10 mph coming to a stop, which is achieved using the discs. could this lead to what you are feeling?
Old 03-12-07, 08:26 AM
jednav
Driver

Some calls it a "push" others calls it a "surge." Whichever, the RX does it, it seems.

I began a thread in the RX 350 forum. Big disappointment.
Old 03-14-07, 01:13 PM
jednav
Driver

check my update in the RX 350 forum.
Old 03-22-07, 04:05 PM
MOSCOW
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Surge When Braking

We have been having the same problem with a surge in the power at low speeds when braking. We have brought the vehicle in for Service many times with this complaint and they can't find anything wrong. The problem comes and goes and we haven't been able to identify exactly what triggers this problem.
Old 03-22-07, 04:52 PM
jednav
Driver

Upon legal advise, today, I wrote a complaint letter to my dealer expressing my safety concern.
Old 03-22-07, 08:24 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem wasn't diagnosed initially. The service advisor had to take it on a much longer drive and then he felt it and it was then fixed.

Quick Reply: Engine "push" on breaking