Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400H questions - merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 08:03 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadloR
hmm, my 0.02cents worth...

Comparing the RX 400H to the Toyota Landcruiser is like comparing a Mac Computer to a bucket of bolts. And, there really is no comparison to the LX because only a fool would pay 2x the price for the same bucket with a bow on it, given really, for the same amount of bolts.

Cheers,

MadloR
are you serious?
Old 01-31-07, 06:09 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjbodean
are you serious?

What got my goat, was to assume that the LX is a superior vehicle to the RX 400h...

"comparing the LX to the 400 is like comparing a VW bug to the Buggatti Veyron."
Old 01-31-07, 06:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

What got my goat, was to assume that the LX is a superior vehicle to the RX 400h...

"comparing the LX to the 400 is like comparing a VW bug to the Buggatti Veyron."
I read it the other way around... Regardless, picking apart wording when there was no intended malice is a waste of time and creates bad feelings

They are both very fine vehicles but built for very different purposes.
Old 01-31-07, 08:42 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

If you go back and re-read what I posted, I think you'll see that my posts mirror what DaveGS4 said above. That is that they're both very fine vehicles but while they're both SUV's, they're built and designed for very different purposes.

The RX is a fantastic, around town SUV that's really a tall station wagon (it's based on Camry and ES underpinnings after all). It's smooth, quiet, quick and drives like a car. It's got plenty of pickup, good cargo capacity for its size, and it's full of goodies. The hybrid version is even quite easy on the wallet (we're on our second 400h loaner this month and in a total of nearly 500 miles we're averaging 24mpg in mixed driving). But it can't carry four adults, a full sized dog, and all their skiing or camping gear. And while the AWD system on the RX is great for rain or snowy roads, it's not made for any serious off roading.

There's nothing wrong with that. Most folks never take their SUV's off road. But if you need more space, you need to tow, or you expect to do some real off roading, the RX is not the best choice.

The LX, on the other hand, is very smooth and refined for a body on frame vehicle. But note the caveat. It's ride is notas smooth as the RX. It leans in corners, the brakes are great once or twice from high speeds but then they fade (the LX is very, very heavy). The steering is nowhere near as car like as the RX. And it eats gas.

But it is one of the best off road vehicles made. It can take four adults, the dog, and all the camping stuff they need anywhere. And it can tow.

It's clearly a compromised on road vehicle. But it's superior at other things.

Yes, the leather and wood and some other stuff in the LX is nicer than the RX. Look no further than the alcantra headliner in the LX to see what I mean. But Lexus charges a premium for that.

It doesn't make the LX a "superior" vehicle. It's simply more expensive and was designed with different parameters in mind.

I apologize if my first post "got your goat" but I think you misunderstood my point. My crack later about ignorance being bliss was uncalled for, and I apologize for that as well.

At the end of the day, we're all enthusiasts... let's get out there and enjoy our vehicles.
Old 01-31-07, 12:59 PM
MadloR
Driver

Default wasn't my intention

Well, if you look at the forum Section, it is afterall the RX 400H section.

And nobody made the link in this section that the RX 400H was the best off road vehicle, because everybody knows (even Lexus states it) that it is not intended for off road use. That's what RANGE ROVERS are for. Given the statement, it wasn't interpreted any other way as it was intended, very derogatory.

No skin off my teeth.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 02-01-07, 08:12 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

well.. if u want, i have a silver 2006 rx400h. only around 10k miles, very very new interior and exterior. fully loaded, ml w/ navigation system.

rx400h is a great car, but need garage space to get a van. if u want it pm me.....
Old 02-01-07, 08:21 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Well, if you look at the forum Section, it is afterall the RX 400H section.

And nobody made the link in this section that the RX 400H was the best off road vehicle, because everybody knows (even Lexus states it) that it is not intended for off road use. That's what RANGE ROVERS are for. Given the statement, it wasn't interpreted any other way as it was intended, very derogatory.

No skin off my teeth.

Cheers,

MadloR
It is the 400h section of the Lexus forum. And the original poster stated that he was cross shopping both the LX and GX. Hence the personal input since I have experience behind the wheel of both vehicles.

And in case you weren't aware, the 100 series Land Cruiser and it's sister vehicle the LX470 are every bit as capable (some would argue more) capable than the Range Rover. Plus they're actually reliable. Check out IH8mud.com if you're interested in learning more.

Again, my original post wasn't intended to be inflammatory or derogatory. It was meant to be helpful to a fellow member who was cross shopping two very different types of SUV's.
Old 02-05-07, 08:20 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Returned our loaner 400h. Two weeks on two different 400h's... nearly 700 miles of driving and we averaged 24.3 mpg over that span. Not exactly what the EPA estimates but in my opinion, that's pretty damned good.

Overall a very good mid-sized SUV. Good acceleration, nice amenities and it rides and drives like a car and not a truck.

My only real issue with the vehicle is visibility out. Unlike our old 2000 RX300 AWD, the new body style has some fairly large blind spots. Especially at the very rear.
Old 02-05-07, 12:21 PM
ler0y
Driver

Yeah, that blind spot to the rear right is pretty brutal. I always make sure to take a really careful look when doing lane changes. One time a VERY low slung car went zipping up and passing me to the right just before an intersection, I had been in the process of making a lane change. Luckily though it was night time so the headlights alerted me to the fact that something was there, otherwise I would have creamed him.