Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400H questions - merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07 | 08:42 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Default 400H questions

Hey guys.

Our 2006 LX470 is in for service and we got a 2006 RX400H as a loaner car. It's pretty cool and I'm definitely impressed with how much more "seamless" the hybrid technology seems in this than it does in the Prius Gen II's I've driven.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys. More to satisfy my curiosity than anything else.

1) Above 70mph (I live in S. CA where 75mph is the norm in the HOV lane) I can feel a bit of a weird sensation in the accelerator. I know these vehicles have a CVT so it isn't the transmission hunting but that's almost what it feels like. Nothing below 60 mph and if I use the cruise control (and take my foot off the accelerator) the sensation disappears. Is that normal?
2) I know these have the regenerative braking (cool, btw) and the brakes feel strong and powerful. However, in the last few feet of braking (before I come to a complete stop) I can feel some pulsing in the brake pedal. Is that normal? It almost feels like the kickback you get when you engage ABS in an old ABS equipped car, but not anywhere near as pronounced.

I'm very impressed with the vehicle. We're averaging about 27 mpg in mixed driving (it's weird to see my milage is so much better on the streets than the highway) and it's very cool to climb my parking structure in silence. I love the pickup that all that torque delivers and again, the MPG is great (nearly twice what we get in the LX).

I'd love to hear your feedback as I'm actually thinking about one of these now as an "around the town" car.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 01-23-07 | 10:48 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i noticed those same things when driving a friend's 400h. those are normal conditions for the hybrid. i think it probably takes some getting used to coming from a gas engine and conventional transmission.

the CVT really gets me weirded out too sometimes. i experienced exactly what you described, like your foot is not moving at all on the pedal while cruising on the highway and the CVT reacts a little jumpy. on a regular transmission there is some "give" on the pedal which can allow you to step on the gas a little or let up and it doesn't necessary have to shift gears. on the CVT it's like instantaneous reaction so as soon as it senses it needs more power, it gives it. it's a good thing in terms of responsiveness, but a bad thing in terms of just cruising along. i find it hard to keep it still on the highway, but maybe i don't have enough practice. good or bad, it's still an odd feeling
Old 01-23-07 | 03:24 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

ditto on the braking part.. it feels like the rotors r warped~
Old 01-24-07 | 08:55 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Interesting side note:
There was a horrible accident on the 405N this morning (closed 4 lanes) so my usual 25 minute commute took an hour and 15 minutes. But... I loved watching my fuel mileage do so well while I was able to run 100% at 5mph or less on the electric motor alone. My LX470 would have been guzzling gas at a phenominal rate!

Avg on about 110 miles is 25.2
Old 01-29-07 | 10:27 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Default RX 400H questions - merged threads

I am looking to purchase an RX 400h.

Is there any reason not to get AWD vs. FWD? The price is neglible and the mileage/horsepower is the same.

And oddly, the AWD is a second faster.

I like the LX and GX, but they appear to be gas hogs.
Old 01-29-07 | 11:06 AM
RandyL712
Rookie

Get the AWD. First, you'll have better resale! The FWD always sell for less on the used market.

In the RX400h, the AWD uses an electric motor that powers the rear wheels, it's not a standard driveshaft spinning and pulling power from the front wheels. That's probably why its faster.

You'll also of course have better traction in adverse weather, which may or may not be a problem where you live (I'm in Colorado!)
Old 01-29-07 | 11:07 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by RandyL712
Get the AWD. First, you'll have better resale! The FWD always sell for less on the used market.
that may be the case in colorado, but here in alabama the awd brings fwd money. it depends on the market conditions where you live.
Old 01-30-07 | 08:30 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RandyL712
That's not true in many parts of the country. Here in S. CA there's little to no premium for AWD vs. FWD.

My understanding of the AWD system in the 400h is that it is a part time system and you're encouraged not to go off roading with it.

We had the full time AWD in our old RX 300 and it was great for slippery roads and snow. But nothing like the system in our LX.

I suspect the AWD in the 400 isn't as good as either.

If you need AWD, get it... if you don't you're wasting your money.

Finally, I suspect the reason the AWD accelerates slightly (isn't it 0.1 second) faster to 60mph is traction. The FWD RX's that I've driven have pretty bad torque steer and my guess is the AWD allows the vehicle to put the power down more efficiently.

Finally, comparing the LX to the 400 is like comparing a VW bug to the Buggatti Veyron. They're both built by the same manufacturer they're both SUV's but that's where the similarities end.

The LX eats gas in comparison (we avg. 14-15 in mixed driving) and it's heavy, leans in corners and much bigger. But it's a body on frame design, that can go off road like you wouldn't believe and it's tough as a ****. It's also got a lot more room in the vehicle and the quality of the leather, wood, etc. is markedly better. Finally, it's whisper quiet and feels like a tank compared to the RX.

The RX, on the other hand, is a much better around town vehicle. It's quick, the steering is much faster, and it rides much more like a car. It's easy to park, easy on the gas pump, and much easier on the wallet when you buy one.

There's a reason why there's such a price differential and if you don't need all the truckiness or space of the LX, save your money and get the RX.

My two cents...
Old 01-30-07 | 09:37 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default 400h

I might be wrong.But I dont think you can get a 2wd hybrid
Old 01-30-07 | 09:47 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Big difference in performance between the two. More than .1 seconds for sure.

RXh 400h AWD RXh 400h FWD
Specifications Specifications
Base MSRP $42,580 [1] $41,180 [1]

Fuel Economy 31/27 city/highway mpg [3] 32/27 city/highway mpg [3]
0-60 mph (sec.) 6.9 7.5

Last edited by widlfiresd; 01-30-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-30-07 | 12:47 PM
RandyL712
Rookie

Originally Posted by alredxiii
I might be wrong.But I dont think you can get a 2wd hybrid
Yep, you're wrong

He says the price is negligible. I don't see a downside to getting the AWD. Regardless what people say right now (with only one used model year available) having AWD will likely prove to be an asset when selling. And, it might come in handy on a rainy night.
Old 01-30-07 | 05:18 PM
MadloR
Driver

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
...Finally, comparing the LX to the 400 is like comparing a VW bug to the Buggatti Veyron. They're both built by the same manufacturer they're both SUV's but that's where the similarities end...
hmm, my 0.02cents worth...

Comparing the RX 400H to the Toyota Landcruiser is like comparing a Mac Computer to a bucket of bolts. And, there really is no comparison to the LX because only a fool would pay 2x the price for the same bucket with a bow on it, given really, for the same amount of bolts.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 01-30-07 | 07:49 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MadloR
hmm, my 0.02cents worth...

Comparing the RX 400H to the Toyota Landcruiser is like comparing a Mac Computer to a bucket of bolts. And, there really is no comparison to the LX because only a fool would pay 2x the price for the same bucket with a bow on it, given really, for the same amount of bolts.

Cheers,

MadloR
Ignorance is bliss so I humbly submit that you must be a happy individual.

The RX is a fine vehicle. And it's fantastic for what it was designed to do (an urban tall station wagon). But it can't haul the same amout of people, cargo, or remotely approach the off road capability of the LX.

So I guess the "fool" with two kids and a full sized dog would have to strap their dog to the roof when they go on a snowboarding trip to Utah in your world. Give me a break.

Both vehicles are excellent choices, depending on what you want from a vehicle. But saying that an LX is an RX with a bow on it is an absurd understatement.

Last edited by Da Hapa; 01-30-07 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-30-07 | 07:57 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Big difference in performance between the two. More than .1 seconds for sure.

RXh 400h AWD RXh 400h FWD
Specifications Specifications
Base MSRP $42,580 [1] $41,180 [1]

Fuel Economy 31/27 city/highway mpg [3] 32/27 city/highway mpg [3]
0-60 mph (sec.) 6.9 7.5
Correct. Sorry, I double checked the Lexus website and my memory of 0.1 seconds was way off.

One additional factor to consider, is that the build your own feature on the website limits your options if you chose the FWD hybrid, at least in my zipcode.

As of today (1/30/07) you can't get the Nav system or the Mark Levinson stereo on FWD RX400h's in my zipcode (Orange County, CA). If those options are important to you, and you're not willing to special order or do a cross state trade, then that's something else to consider.
Old 01-30-07 | 08:01 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Both vehicles are excellent choices, depending on what you want from a vehicle. But saying that an LX is an RX with a bow on it is an absurd understatement.
Is he talking about the LX and the Landcruiser instead of the RX?

Quick Reply: RX 400H questions - merged threads