Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

HELP DVD/Nav Question GS450h 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 04:23 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP DVD/Nav Question GS450h 2007

Hey all, so today I started the DVD hack (5.1 Nav if that matters.....)

With that being said please give me some clarification as to how it's suppose to work.

I cut the purple and yellow wires so far. The other 2nd from the left on the bottom of the right set of pins (closest to passenger is not pink it's RED)

I remember reading somewhere that the pink wire on the GS450h is replaced in the center pin assortment with the white with silver dots? is this true? so I cut this silver dotted one? and not the red, that was supposed to be a pink?

Come on guys help/

When the yellow wires aren't connected = no picture
When they are connected there is a picture.

Even when I ground the yellow no picture.

This normal?

Am I missing a step?

Car is apart at the moment so any immediate suggestions would be great.

Last edited by Jace7; 03-03-07 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-03-07, 07:20 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I get it it's Saturday night, so most are probably relaxing or out, but come on, shed some light on my situation.
Old 03-03-07, 08:11 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

OK, so here is my update,

I cut the standard yellow wire, that you are then suppose to ground....
when you ground it, the parking break light stays lit, so this is the trick to this wire cut.

OK, then I cut the purple one, and left it separated... .I couldn't see what this did or didn't do by having it cut or connected......?

Then I first cut the red, on accident that I thought was the pink on the far passenger side... I put it back together, no problem here.

I then cut the white wire with the spotted silver spots from the middle plug. btm left one.....

Now my problem is this.....
Without the yellow wire put back to it's original position, (as if I never disconnected it) I can't see the picture.

I put quick connects on both the yellow and the purple wires so at any time it's painless to reconnect them...

But I am still not able to see a picture..... (if the yellow wires are disconnected.....)

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Jason
Old 03-03-07, 10:22 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

well I had fun carrying on this thread with myself, but I sure am glad I'm smart enough to figure everything out on my own, since this thread was overwhelmed with responses.....

anyways, I was grounding the wrong side of the yellow wire... that was my problem.
ALL GOOD NOW> Everything is up and running.

One question, what does cutting that white wire with the silver spots do? what's it's purpose?

Because after I cut it, drove around and all, I reconnected it with quick connects, and I can still watch the DVD and still enter destinations, (becuase I have the 5.1 ) I can do the touchscreen hack.....

To in summary, I only needed to cut and groud the yellow and cut the purple... right?

Unless somone can fill me in on the purpose of the white with silver, which I believe is the replacement wire to cut, for the GS450h, that replaces the pink wire for all other non 450h's....
Old 03-04-07, 02:47 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Jason, you crack me up! I have to say that even though I did the mod, it's tough to follow all of that without pin and harness numbers. It sounds like you eventually sorted things out but if I had to guess you are not done.

Double check that your nav system is working properly without entering the touchscreen over-ride applicable to the v5.1 nav software. Drive around and see if your screen is scrolling smoothly and make sure you are getting turn by turn guidance. When I only clipped the purple VSS wire, I was able to use the phone keypad while in motion but lost turn by turn guidance and lost smooth scrolling on the nav screen. By clipping the purple VSS wire, you essentially disconnect the VSS signal so the car senses that you are no longer in motion and unlocks the dialing keypad. The side effect is that the nav system now has to rely on the GPS signal alone to determine vehicle movement. Back to this later.

In order to have DVD playback while driving, you are clipping the yellow PKB wire and grounding it to make the system think that your parking brake is engaged. You are then cutting the purple VSS wire to make the system think that you are not moving because you have disconnected the speed sensor signal. The problem is that once you cut the purple VSS wire, you are effectively cutting the VSS signal that goes to the white/silver wire because the purple VSS wire is somehow jumpered to the white/silver wire. It's the same signal so when you cut one, you are cutting both. The trick is to bypass the signal for DVD playback but restore it for normal nav operation and have it switchable so you can enter nav data while in motion.

This is where the switch comes in, it effectively controls the VSS signal going to the white/silver wire by controlling the connection between one of the cut purple ends to one of the cut white/silver ends. When when you flip the switch one way, this jumpered connection is broken and you get 30-40 seconds or so to enter nav data etc while driving. When you are done, you flip the switch back and the VSS signal is restored to the silver white wire so the nav system operates normally. Now the nav system uses the vehicle speed sensor signal to determine position and motion so you restore nav accuracy and turn by turn guidance.

The above is applicable to the 07 GS350 so assuming everything is the same on your GS450h, you will need to put in a switch and jumper one end of the purple wire to one end of the white/silver wire. If everything works fine despite having the purple wire cut and the silver wire cut but neither connected in any way, you are good to go so just cap them off and move on to the next mod.
Old 03-04-07, 02:48 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, the wire on my car GS350's h1 harness was white/silver as well.
Old 03-04-07, 05:22 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

I so want this hack, but there just ain't anyway I'm going to attempt this on my $60K+ car... Congrats to you brave ones for doing it!
Old 03-04-07, 06:14 AM
mefromfl
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Jason, you crack me up! I have to say that even though I did the mod, it's tough to follow all of that without pin and harness numbers. It sounds like you eventually sorted things out but if I had to guess you are not done.

Double check that your nav system is working properly without entering the touchscreen over-ride applicable to the v5.1 nav software. Drive around and see if your screen is scrolling smoothly and make sure you are getting turn by turn guidance. When I only clipped the purple VSS wire, I was able to use the phone keypad while in motion but lost turn by turn guidance and lost smooth scrolling on the nav screen. By clipping the purple VSS wire, you essentially disconnect the VSS signal so the car senses that you are no longer in motion and unlocks the dialing keypad. The side effect is that the nav system now has to rely on the GPS signal alone to determine vehicle movement. Back to this later.

In order to have DVD playback while driving, you are clipping the yellow PKB wire and grounding it to make the system think that your parking brake is engaged. You are then cutting the purple VSS wire to make the system think that you are not moving because you have disconnected the speed sensor signal. The problem is that once you cut the purple VSS wire, you are effectively cutting the VSS signal that goes to the white/silver wire because the purple VSS wire is somehow jumpered to the white/silver wire. It's the same signal so when you cut one, you are cutting both. The trick is to bypass the signal for DVD playback but restore it for normal nav operation and have it switchable so you can enter nav data while in motion.

This is where the switch comes in, it effectively controls the VSS signal going to the white/silver wire by controlling the connection between one of the cut purple ends to one of the cut white/silver ends. When when you flip the switch one way, this jumpered connection is broken and you get 30-40 seconds or so to enter nav data etc while driving. When you are done, you flip the switch back and the VSS signal is restored to the silver white wire so the nav system operates normally. Now the nav system uses the vehicle speed sensor signal to determine position and motion so you restore nav accuracy and turn by turn guidance.

The above is applicable to the 07 GS350 so assuming everything is the same on your GS450h, you will need to put in a switch and jumper one end of the purple wire to one end of the white/silver wire. If everything works fine despite having the purple wire cut and the silver wire cut but neither connected in any way, you are good to go so just cap them off and move on to the next mod.

Can you tell me what switch to buy or show me any DIY for the 07 GS350?
Old 03-04-07, 12:06 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mefromfl
Can you tell me what switch to buy or show me any DIY for the 07 GS350?
Here is a photo of the switch. I looked high and low but it seems that this is the only switch that will fit reasonably well. You can get it at Lowe's. As far as the DIY instructions, I believe that I was the first to complete this mod on an 07 GS with 5th gen nav and had previously posted instructions with photos but took them down due to liability issues. If you look around, you might be able to piece together parts that were quoted in posts.

Old 03-04-07, 01:03 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

So, I cut the purple. (obviously it needs to be cut.. I understand the function of this) tried it both ways while driving to test all out.
And cut the yellow and grounded properly. This bypases the parking break. understand.... no problem

I cut the white with silver dots, but I don't understand that it actually did if anything by cutting the wire?......... When I am driving I connect it, then disconnect it, via the quick connects I installed, but can't figure out the point of this cut...

The scroll isn't smooth... it's a little choppy and a tad slow in responding. Sometimes shows me 50 ft to the right of the road I am on, for a few minutes, then recorrects itself.
I have yet to try the turn by turn, (I'm at an open house this afternoon) < working....
I can though watch movies while moving...

I thought maybe I wouldn't have to do the switch if I was able to do the push button destination hack since I still have the 5.1 firmware...?

Last edited by Jace7; 03-04-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 01:16 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Jason, that is exactly what I expected. Without completing the switch installation to jumper the cut purple end to the cut white/grey end, your nav system is relying exclusively on it's GPS signal to determine position. You definitely need to finish the mod per instructions.
Old 03-04-07, 01:25 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

but robert, doesnt it make sense that if I can use the touch screen hack to do the dest override, doesn't that mean that I don't need the switch?

Or am I mixing up two different issues? and what is the purpose of cutting the white with silver dots?
Old 03-04-07, 01:43 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

It makes sense but if you prefer to use the touchscreen hack, you still need to restore the VSS signal to the nav system via jumpering the cut purple end to the cut white end. You can eliminate the switch because you will no longer need to toggle the VSS signal off as needed but you still need to restore the signal so the system will operate as it should.

Let's simplify things. The VSS signal enters the system from the car to the center stack via the purple wire and enters the DVD system. Somewhere, somehow, the VSS signal must jump over to the white/silver wire so the nav system can share the same VSS signal. Normally this is accomplished through the car's wiring but since you have messed with the car's wiring and cut the purple wire, the white/silver wire no longer has a VSS signal. The tricky part is that you want to bypass the DVD system so after you cut the purple wire and the white/silver wire, you want to jumper them together so you are taking out the middle man.

Normally, a 5th gen nav system with v6.1 software will require a switch to toggle between VSS on and VSS off so you can temporarally unlock the nav screen for entry and then restore the VSS signal for normal GPS operation. In your case, you have v5.1 and plan on using the touchscreen hack so you will never need to toggle the VSS signal off for temporary use. BUT, you still need to restore the VSS signal for normal operation. Essentially you can either leave your switch in the on position OR jumper the wires together to leave the signal on permanently.
Old 03-04-07, 02:10 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

so the white wire you are referring to is the white one with silver dots right? the one from the center cluster of pins? you know there are three back there. the driver's side is the one where you cut the purple and yellow, the passenger's side is where the "pink" wire that isn't on this car, but where the pink wire is, and the center cluster is where the white and silver dotted one is right?

So i could just attach one end (which end?) of the purple wire to the other end of the (white with silver dots) which end of that one?

Then the nav would be smooth?

I can take pictures if you'd like before you suggest.

I am away from home at the moment, but will possibly have time tonight or tomorrow for sure....

Last edited by Jace7; 03-04-07 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 06:53 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

clarification on my last post? ^^^^^^^^^^^
is that correct? and explain which to where I need to connect the wires. THanks.

Quick Reply: HELP DVD/Nav Question GS450h 2007