Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Front struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 02:18 PM
pgpanos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front struts

Could someone please tell me what brand are the original front struts installed in the RX 4ooh? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-15-07, 01:35 PM
pgpanos
Driver School Candidate

Default New info

I found out that the struts are "Toyota". Probably they have outsourced their fabrication. I was expecting branded struts and shock absorbers like KYB or other. My front suspension is very noisy over bumpy roads especially when accelerating.
Old 03-16-07, 04:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We used to have problems with early RX300's struts thumping pretty loudly, especially at full extension - a sign of premature failure. This was evidently fixed by the factory (or supplier), because after 2000, you hardly ever encountered the problem under 75K miles. After the warranty ran out, replacement with a good KYB or other "OEM-type" strut should restore both peace and ride quality.

If you have access to a Lexus (or Toyota) dealer in Greece, they should honor this as warranty work. Otherwise, check for a good aftermarket supplier.
Old 03-20-07, 11:43 AM
pgpanos
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus letter on suspension noise

Originally Posted by Lil4X
We used to have problems with early RX300's struts thumping pretty loudly, especially at full extension - a sign of premature failure. This was evidently fixed by the factory (or supplier), because after 2000, you hardly ever encountered the problem under 75K miles. After the warranty ran out, replacement with a good KYB or other "OEM-type" strut should restore both peace and ride quality.

If you have access to a Lexus (or Toyota) dealer in Greece, they should honor this as warranty work. Otherwise, check for a good aftermarket supplier.
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/pgp1/Scan1La.bmp
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/pgp1/Scan1L0004b.bmp

Thank you for your expert response. I have not found any aftermarket supplier for RX 400h front struts. Do you know of any?

Last July when I bought my new Lexus RX 400h I noticed that the suspension was making an unusual sound (knocking noise), when the car was driven over small humps or small potholes at low speed. The dealer for nearly three months was trying to discover what the cause of such a noise is. They changed many parts including shock absorbers, top mounts and bushes. They tried hard to find the problem and had to call a mechanic from Lexus Europe who came to inspect the car. After thorough testing they came into the conclusion that the noise is coming from the inner valve of the shock absorbers and they said it is not dangerous. They also tested many new cars and some were making this noise while others were not. I find this very disapointing for a car of this quality and price. It will be interesting for me to know if other owners have experienced the noise. Any feedback please?