Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

C&D Long Term Road Tests

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 04:54 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb C&D Long Term Road Tests

Car & Driver
How green was our hybrid? Somewhat kind on the gas bill and quick off the line, it was also a quirky bird to live with.
BY ANDRÉ IDZIKOWSKI, PHOTOGRAPHY BY AARON KILEY
April 2007

Download the initial test sheet and the final test sheet.

The RX has always been a stylish, luxuriously appointed, and smooth-riding SUV. It’s not exciting by enthusiast standards, but it’s popular with the marque’s buyers. Since its introduction in 1998, the RX has been Lexus’s bestselling vehicle, with 108,348 of these SUVs finding buyers in 2006. And what’s most interesting is that almost a quarter of those were the RX400h hybrid version.

The primary purpose of a hybrid vehicle is to save gas, yet hybrid technology has made some models, such as the Honda Accord hybrid and the RX400h, quicker than their gas-only counterparts. Getting more miles per gallon and going quicker from 0 to 60 mph is the kind of thinking we like. But to discover if the RX400h luxury SUV really could be quicker, save us some money, and assuage the environmentalist in some of us, we needed a long-term test.

So in May 2005, just a month after the RX400h went on sale, Lexus dropped off a 2006 Millennium Silver example in our parking lot. Our leather-swathed and luxuriously appointed all-wheel-drive RX400h had a base price of $49,185, and we went for such options as the Mark Levinson premium audio system ($980), a heated-front-seat and headlight-washer package ($540), a cargo mat ($92), and wheel locks ($66). That brought the sticker to a hefty $50,863.

For 2007, many previously standard features on RXs — such as the leather interior, sunroof, and navigation system — are now options. That brings the base price of a 2007 AWD RX400h down to $43,295, but that’s still about $3800 more than the base price of a 2007 AWD RX350.

The RX400h was popular for staffers going on long trips, owing to its expensive-feeling interior and cushy, upscale seats. It had great power for passing, lots of bins for stowing things, and luggage space that seemed uncompromised by the extra batteries housed under the rear seat for the hybrid system.

0704_lexus_rx4_2.jpgWhat we really wanted to know about this hybrid, of course, was how it fared at the pumps. The EPA rates the RX400h at 31 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway, and we averaged 24 mpg over 40,000 miles. It’s true that we have heavy feet here in Ann Arbor, so we sent the RX out to Pat Bedard in Arizona because he loves to tease every last drop of juice out of hybrids. By working at it, with no hard acceleration and making use of the regenerative braking, he managed to average 27 mpg over four months.

Assuming premium gasoline stays at $2.39 a gallon, it would take more than 91,000 miles of driving the RX400h to recoup that $3800 difference in base price compared with the RX350. That’s a lot of driving. Purely on a financial basis, it doesn’t make sense to pay the extra money for the RX400h, unless you’re thinking it will help save the planet.

0704_lexus_rx4_motor.jpgOn the other side of the performance equation, the RX400h was indeed a quick SUV, turning a respectable 0-to-60-mph time of 7.5 seconds and a 15.9-second, 90-mph quarter-mile time in its initial test. But we didn’t have time between acceleration runs for the steady-state cruising required to fully charge the batteries. We made sure to do this during the final test after 40,000 miles, and that made a significant difference. The 0-to-60 time dropped to 6.6 seconds — matching a 340-hp Porsche Cayenne S — and the quarter-mile to 15.2 seconds at 94 mph, only 0.2 second and 1 mph slower than the Cayenne.

We had some issues with the hybrid powertrain. The RX400h has a V-6 gas engine and three electric motors. The first motor is part of the front-wheel-drive system and fires the gas engine and acts as a generator when needed. The second aids the gas engine by adding torque to the front transaxle and can power the vehicle on its own as well as replenish the batteries as a second generator. The third is connected to the rear differential and drives the rear wheels when additional power or traction is needed.

To many drivers the transition from purely electric to gas and electric power wasn’t always smooth, and the amount of added power delivered was unpredictable. Many also felt a lurch and heard a clunking sound when the gas engine kicked in when the vehicle was at a complete stop. Most drivers thought that a $50,000 Lexus should behave more smoothly.

The regenerative braking system got gripes, too. The transition from regenerative to hydraulic braking was often disconcerting because a small increase in pressure on the brake pedal might produce a huge increase in deceleration. Drivers complained that when they began to press lightly on the brake pedal, the RX seemed to surge a bit, causing the knee-jerk reaction of applying more braking than intended. This was especially apparent in city driving at moderate to low speeds. All the Lexus service guys could do was tell us, “That’s just the way they work.”

The RX400h required service every 5000 miles, most just oil and oil-filter changes, tire rotations, and inspections, and the bills ran from $124 to $172. The more complicated service at 30,000 miles set us back $330. We spent $1316 on routine service, which was $400 more than it cost for our long-term Cayenne S.

0704_lexus_rx4_rseat.jpgInterestingly, because of the regenerative braking assistance, the RX400h’s pads wore down very little: we estimated that the front and rear brake pads should last well over 100,000 miles and might not need replacement for the life of the vehicle. We had to replace the original tires at 22,215 miles because they wore out. New tires set us back $764, and new wipers at 37,000 miles added $15 to our nonwarranty repairs.

After 40,000 hard miles, our RX400h showed signs of aging, with some suspension groaning over bumps and some creaking interior panels. Despite its quirks, our RX400h turned out to be a spry and fuel-efficient luxury SUV, which is a rare combination in this price segment. For some people, that will be more than enough to justify the premium over an RX350.

RANTS AND RAVES

0704_lexus_rx4_atspeed.jpgDAVE VANDERWERP
The brakes have no feel to them and are hard to operate smoothly. Similarly, the nonlinear power delivery makes smooth driving nearly impossible.

SUSAN MATHEWS
Wow! It’s hard to tell the car is even “on,” it’s so quiet. Only had it for the weekend, but I’m spoiled already.

JULI BURKE
My biggest complaint is the “surging” of the engine just when I’m starting to brake. All in all, this Lexus provides an oscillating ride that’s annoying in everyday use.

K.C. COLWELL
The car is comfortable and quiet going down the road. The seats are great, and the important radio controls (volume and seek) are on the driver’s side and are big. The brakes and the abrupt engine drag just take a little getting used to.

PATRICK BEDARD
The trip odometer shows 28.1 mpg over the past 621 miles. Part of that mileage is a 275-mile trip to Phoenix with speeds of 80-plus on the interstate. A big contributor to the excellent mileage is no air conditioning.

JOHN PHILLIPS
To Darby, Montana, and back. On slight downhill grades, I feel a trailer-hitching effect, perhaps the outcome of the motors and engine trying to figure out which dominates. Brake feel remains a problem: 3000 miles into this trip, I’m just beginning to predict pedal travel versus stopping power.

DAN WINTER
Wait, just let me get this straight: The RX400h actually costs more than the RX350?

Old 03-21-07, 09:04 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
DAN WINTER
Wait, just let me get this straight: The RX400h actually costs more than the RX350?

[/COLOR][/FONT]
I don't know what Dan Winter's point is.
Old 03-21-07, 09:09 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

isnt the aircon via electric and not gas?
Old 03-21-07, 09:11 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
isnt the aircon via electric and not gas?
Yes and no. Eventually the gas engine will have to recharge the battery if you are draining the battery with the air con even just by having the car sitting there idle.
Old 03-22-07, 05:34 AM
Rockville1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I don't know what Dan Winter's point is.
I interpret his point as being, with all of the negative quirks mentioned in the C&D article, why would anyone actually buy one let alone pay $3,800 more when you can have a quirk-free RX350.

That said, I own the 400h and love it - quirks and all.

Old 03-30-07, 06:41 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockville1
I interpret his point as being, with all of the negative quirks mentioned in the C&D article, why would anyone actually buy one let alone pay $3,800 more when you can have a quirk-free RX350.

That said, I own the 400h and love it - quirks and all.

In terms of cost of an RX400h over an RX350, the author left out one point.

When the tranny goes out in either vehicle, the CVT will cost much less to repair. Thousands less most likely because it has few moving parts. That is a big selling point to me. A typical auto has over 100 moving parts.

I agree with their overall assessment. No car is perfect. Reliability does not always equal refinement.