Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600 performance/power/fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 12:02 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS600 performance/power/fuel economy

I see a common thread in many of the reviews for the LS600 vs. the LS460.
Many claim there is little justification for the hybrid powertrain considering the meager increase in HP/performance, added 900 pounds of weight (Edmunds), loss in trunk volume and only marginal fuel economy increase. I also read criticism of the fact that 438 HP doesnt match many V12 competitors. It annoys me that when editors attack the LS600, they fail to mention the 2008 fuel economy rating discrepency vs. the 2007 rated LS460 and the necessary added weight and drag from the all-wheel drive system. My hope is that when Toyota perfects their Lithium-Ion battery technology, we will see a better-packaged, lighter-weight, higher power and improved fuel-economy LS600 that will better justify the hybrid powertrain option, perhaps during the mid-cycle refresh.
Old 05-10-07, 12:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget that the MPG rating system is much different when comparing '07 and '08 models, which will be corrected by the end of this year.

I think people need to get rid of the idea of MPG savings. You buy the LS600h(L) for three things: 1) exclusivity, 2) technology, and 3) being "green." You should not buy this car is you don't want the above three things mentioned; you should get a regular LS460 if that's the case...
Old 05-10-07, 01:13 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed, if fuel economy was front and center in my case, I'd have considered a Prius, or maybe even a bike.

But even though a fill-up makes me cringe sometimes, my LS still gets as good a fuel economy as my '03 Acura 3.2 CL-S.

The only reason the fill-ups cost more is the 83 litre tank vs 63 litres for the CL, and of course rising prices.

I'm sure the time will come when a two-and-a-half behemoth will achieve 50mpg.

Until then, this LS is just fine...
Old 05-10-07, 04:43 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You buy the LS600h(L) for three things: 1) exclusivity, 2) technology, and 3) being "green."
I'm purchasing an LS600hL because of AWD, luxury/comfort, and power. My thoughts are that since the same magazine (CD) tested both and found the 600hL .5 seconds faster than the 460, that this is the case. If not, what ever it is will be quick enough....

MPG is a plus, but not a decider.

1. Exclusivity is NOT on my radar. In fact, I'd prefer a bit less attention (Ok, occasional stares from 750 and 550 owners would not be a terrible thing ....)

2. I have to admit, I do enjoy the technology toys. I may never USE the auto-park feature, but I'll sure demo it a lot!

3. "Green" is also a plus, but with all of the extra pollution caused to manufacture a hybrid and it's batteries, as well as the extra energy used, I've come to the conclusion that the "green" of hybrids in general is an illusion.

Also NOT on my radar is handling at the expense of ride quality and quiet. I ride 100% of the time. I test the limits of handling characteristics 0%. Emergency handling is excellent and certainly close enough to be equal for an non-professional driver like me.

I WOULD consider the S550 4-matic if it weren't for reliability and that darned COMAND. Touch screen enhances the usefulness of a NAV system a great deal, and makes the other control functions much less intrusive to driving.

HBH
Old 05-11-07, 12:38 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Helmar

3. "Green" is also a plus, but with all of the extra pollution caused to manufacture a hybrid and it's batteries, as well as the extra energy used, I've come to the conclusion that the "green" of hybrids in general is an illusion.

HBH
i wish the public would realize this. Hybrids are only good for egos. The only benfit i can think of is added quietness. Driving that ls600h must feel so strange.