Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 09:38 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Jace7, I do not know the name or type of suspension system the GS450h I drove had.

Modeler, my phraseology “"flat and yacht-like” might be too broad of a statement. I do not mean that the GS450h floated around curves like the 1994 Buick Ultra I once had. Perhaps, a better description would be, the sensation I felt driving it was very different than the precision I am accustomed to with my M45.

The purpose of my post is not to flame owners of the GS450h, only to give my own personal and subjective opinion about an automobile I thought to be quite fine in many respects.
Old 05-15-07, 09:46 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=carbuff;2623961]Jace7, I do not know the name or type of suspension system the GS450h I drove had.

QUOTE]

I am not referring to an aftermarket suspension, I am referring to the option of AAAS. It's the biggest difference, just wondering if you drove a car with it? It stiffens up the suspension when corners so there is no body roll when activated to "sport" setting. Just wondering if the car had it, not all do. If you drove a car without it, I'm sorry, b/c that is one of the reason I purchased the car, that and the active radar cruise.

Last edited by Jace7; 05-15-07 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-15-07, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by carbuff
Jace7, I do not know the name or type of suspension system the GS450h I drove had.

Modeler, my phraseology “"flat and yacht-like” might be too broad of a statement. I do not mean that the GS450h floated around curves like the 1994 Buick Ultra I once had. Perhaps, a better description would be, the sensation I felt driving it was very different than the precision I am accustomed to with my M45.

The purpose of my post is not to flame owners of the GS450h, only to give my own personal and subjective opinion about an automobile I thought to be quite fine in many respects.
Thank you for your posts, the M45 is a very good car. I really think you should try the GS 450h with the AAAS system, it is a 3k option but the active sway bars transforms the car.

IMO, its not that the GS handles unsporty, its the uncommunicative steering feel that makes you feel disconnected. Clearly many like this feeling, its a Lexus trait but for a sporty feeling, even with a sportier suspension, it doesn't feel as connected as a BMW or your car.

Good luck
Old 05-15-07, 01:04 PM
dndell
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the GS450h right after test driving the M45. M45 was a great car (as is the G35), but I fell in love with the Lexus - just a much more refined feeling. Modeler's comments seem accurate overall. I didn't like the M45 tendency to run at high RPMs when cruising the freeway...seemed wasteful. I haven't bought the GS450h yet because I'm very color particular and am frustrated by the lack of color choices - particularly the absence of any red (for some reason, it seems Lexus never made many Matador reds for the 450h) when other lexus models have amazing reds available. Trunk space is an issue, too, but my other car is the Infinit QX56, and I can sleep in that puppy.
Old 05-29-07, 05:31 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have started a new thread on the regional availability of the AAAS (what does that stand for, by the way? my research uncovers Power Active Vehicle Stabilizer, but that would be PAVS...) -- that is essential to my prospective purchase of a 450h. But I wanted to second dndell on the color choice. I too prefer red, and some web sites also indicate a (midnight) Blue Onyx, which I have not found. Why the poor color selection?
Old 05-29-07, 09:34 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Limited color options on a limited production car.

Don't know. Maybe this makes it seem "more" important or maybe Lexus is just lazy.

I would have prefered red, oh well, beggers can't be choosers. I am happy with my grey.
Old 05-29-07, 09:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A hybrid vehicle at any class has to be purchased based on ecological consciousness, not cost savings. You will, if lucky, break even only over the life of the car. Keep in mind, the battery in hybrids is estimated to last only until 100K, then it's decision time to replace the battery at about $3000-6000 a pop, or drop the vehicle. You will not save the price difference of a hybrid to comparible gas vehicle.
Old 05-31-07, 09:30 PM
chadh
Driver School Candidate

I don't think because the warranty runs out at 100k that you will be replacing the battery. The same person must be replacing the engine at 48k then too But it is a concern for sure. Does anyone have any info about the tax credit for the 450h, is the government completely removing this credit for all hybrids or just the luxury ones?

Any 450h hybrid owners find they don't have to use the heat when they are using the battery? I'm Curious on the temperature of the battery and how if you always have to keep the air on?

I've read on the first page that someone got 6500$ from the state AND 1500$ from federal. I heard of the 1500$ federal (this is reguardless of tax bracket btw) but what state gives that much credit (i would assume only in the higher brackets)? That would clearly make the gs 450h the economical choice over any car in it's class.
Old 06-01-07, 07:20 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chadh
I don't think because the warranty runs out at 100k that you will be replacing the battery. The same person must be replacing the engine at 48k then too But it is a concern for sure. Does anyone have any info about the tax credit for the 450h, is the government completely removing this credit for all hybrids or just the luxury ones?

Any 450h hybrid owners find they don't have to use the heat when they are using the battery? I'm Curious on the temperature of the battery and how if you always have to keep the air on?

I've read on the first page that someone got 6500$ from the state AND 1500$ from federal. I heard of the 1500$ federal (this is reguardless of tax bracket btw) but what state gives that much credit (i would assume only in the higher brackets)? That would clearly make the gs 450h the economical choice over any car in it's class.
Google is your friend! You can quickly find information on what rebates are still available on federal and state taxes in your state. I bought my 450 in January, and will be getting something like $750 back on federal taxes; you may not be getting anything anymore, if you buy now or later this year. State laws differ dramatically, so check what yours says.

As far as your question about heat, I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 06-01-07, 02:05 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

You're probably refering to my post. Yes I got 6500 from State I think, and 1500 from Federal. Maybe they were reversed, not sure. It might have something to do with which tax bracket I fall under, not sure.

But yes, they are doing away with those refunds completely. If you purchased a car in 07, I don't think you will get any refund from Toyota/Lexus.

I was able to claim my refund becuase I purchases my 07 in August of 06. I was still able to receive that refund, till 06 expired. I heard there might be a small refund still available the first quarter of this year for toyota/lexus hybrid purchases then it's gone.
It has to do with car makes selling a certain amount of hybrid vehicles and once this number is hit, the credit is gone.
FOr instance if the number is 5000 hybrids sold and you are 5001, you get nothing...
Honda might still only be around 3000 is you are using that 5000 example so you still have some time to get a credit if you purcahse from honda... get it? hope this helped.

As for heat, I haven't noticed a difference in the way I heat/cool this car compared to any other car I have had in the past. Granted the batteries have a vent behind the rear seats, but it's more a a "pulling" in air, than a "release" of hot air from the bateries in the cabin.

Last edited by Jace7; 06-01-07 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 03:05 PM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Just got me a Starfire Pearl/Cashmere Leather 450h with Active Stabilizer, Collision Avoidance, Lexus Link, XM, Nav-Levinson, Spoiler, etc. Shipping from the CA dealer (no Active Stabilizer vehicles to be found hereabouts) takes place June 11, via a great covered carrier (De Moise Trucking, check 'em out on Google).

Bad news is I sell my 2005 Corvette C6 at the same time. A great car, but just doesn't fit my lifestyle as well as the 450h will.
Old 06-07-07, 03:57 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Marylander
Just got me a Starfire Pearl/Cashmere Leather 450h with Active Stabilizer, Collision Avoidance, Lexus Link, XM, Nav-Levinson, Spoiler, etc. Shipping from the CA dealer (no Active Stabilizer vehicles to be found hereabouts) takes place June 11, via a great covered carrier (De Moise Trucking, check 'em out on Google).

Bad news is I sell my 2005 Corvette C6 at the same time. A great car, but just doesn't fit my lifestyle as well as the 450h will.
Very nice car and congrats!
Old 06-07-07, 08:59 PM
chadh
Driver School Candidate

nice, so why didn't you buy from an Oregon dealer and pay no california tax?
Old 06-08-07, 08:56 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

nice, so why didn't you buy from an Oregon dealer and pay no california tax?
When you buy from out of state, you still only pay taxes in your state. I'm not aware of any state where this is not the case (doesn't mean there isn't one, I just haven't heard of it).
Old 06-08-07, 08:57 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Congratulations! Where you able to get much off MSRP? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what is the cost of transportation to MD.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: I am considering the purchase of a 2007 GS450h