Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Rate your Mpg's
30+
5.92%
27-29
27.81%
24-26
40.83%
20-23
23.67%
Under 20
5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of mpg are you guys getting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 03:25 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vulpasin
My 2007 RX 400h has now 2500 miles.

The last 1400 miles was a round trip LA to Oregon.

First half was during the night, with the A/C OFF, using Premium gas at a constant speed (on cruise control) of 68MPH
I got an average of 28 MPG

On my way back it was during the day with the A/C ON and using REGULAR gas at a constant speed of 68MPH (also on cruise control)
I got an average of 26 MPG

Considering the usage of the A/C most of the time on my way back I don't see any difference between Premium and Regular gas

The only conclusion I came with is: Is not true that the 400h has a better mileage in city than on freeway.
Between October (when I've posted the above message) and now, (the end of December) I drove my 400h only on city streets....about 500 miles.
The mileage came down to 24 MPG
...CLEARLY, THE CITY MILEAGE IS INFERIOR TO HWY. MILEAGE...it didn't make much sense to me when I've seen the Lexus predicted mileage (CITY>HWY) but I've said at that time: "what do I know, they must know better"...it's just a BS
Old 01-01-08, 08:47 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don't think our city mileage has ever been that stellar, but the highway mileage has been great. My mom was averaging 29 mpg the other day doin all highway.

I have noticed that mileage is starting suffer because of the cold. Takes a lot longer to heat that engine up.
Old 01-07-08, 09:36 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

One funny thing: they say that when you start from the red light at the intersection, if you drive slowly the car will drive on electrical motor...I've never noticed to go on the electrical motor for more than 4-5 seconds before the gas engine kicks in, it doesn't matter how slow I was driving

I believe this is the reason why Lexus strongly advise not to run out of gas...cause you won't be able to go more than half of block on electric power
Old 01-08-08, 11:24 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"cause you won't be able to go more than half of block on electric power"
That might be true on open roads, but if the outside temps are warm and the ICE has previously warmed up the exhaust system, you can tool around developments/parking lots in stealth mode using judicious throttle application.

We're having a heat wave in the northeast and I was able to drive in my development at an acceptable speed UP THE STEEP HILL to my house w/o the ICE ever kicking in. Recently, it's been so cold around here that it was getting near impossible to pull that off.
Old 01-09-08, 04:15 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=vulpasin;3176282]One funny thing: they say that when you start from the red light at the intersection, if you drive slowly the car will drive on electrical motor...I've never noticed to go on the electrical motor for more than 4-5 seconds before the gas engine kicks in, it doesn't matter how slow I was driving

That is certainly not the way to get the best effect of the electrical portion of the hybrid system. Accelerating from a stop on batteries only will use up all the charge in short order and anger everyone behind you. Try accelerating normally to the spped limit then coast as much as possible. Very light accelerator pressure will keep the car at 35 mph on batteries only for quite a ways. Watch ahead for traffic lights so you can coast to the stop with minimum pressure on the brakes to recharge the batteries.

Driving in normal traffic on surface streets here in Tucson I was getting right at 30 mpg while on the Interstate at 85 mph I got only about 24 mpg. In my case, the RX400h really got much better mileage in town than on the highway. I think city mileage depends on traffic, weather, and driving style and could very quite a bit. I replaced my 400h with an ES350 and so far am getting 22 mpg in town and 31 on the Interstate.

Steve
Old 01-23-08, 02:55 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

Driving in Oregon now, in cold weather, I get a "glorious" 23mpg...I'm wondering other cars (non-hybrid) with similar engines what kind of mpg's get???

@oldcajun
Yes, I'm doing all the right things (coasting, light on accelerator, anticipating stops and avoid breaking suddenly, etc.) but the mileage is far form being so great, how they advertised it.

I've mentioned the very short distance you can drive only on electric because, if I remember correctly, I've seen somewhere that until you reach a certain speed the car will drive on electric only.***

***I was trying this experiment when I didn't have any other car behind me (I hate to have people tailgating me because I'm to slow)

P.S. I'm curious, if you run out of gas how long it will go on electric?...probably in a few hundred of yards you'll discharge totally the battery and then everything will be messed up, and unlike a regular car, refueling won't be enough to get back on the road.
Old 01-23-08, 05:58 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

When I start from a red light I run on electric then gas/electric till I get up to speed back off the gas a little bit and then run total electric for about 2 miles.I average 40 MPG in city many a time on a warmed up system.
A reliable source told me that the 2009 Lexus will have an EV switch with that you can go 10 miles at 20 MPH on relatively level road with a fully charged battery also we will see the ECONOMY switch to reduce power at acceleration this gets another 10% in gas milage.
Old 02-05-08, 01:33 PM
newwave88
Rookie

Default My Rxh just hit 30K and MPG starting to go down

Hey all. I thought I was doing fairly well to get 24.5- 24.7 mpg but after noticing that 25-30% of those surveyed are getting better I am jealous. Actually, just recently (past 2-3,000) miles I've noticed a decrease in MPG's. I am now getting about 23.2-23.5. I have not changed my driving habits. I may need an air filter (but I can still see light thru some areas of it) and just did an oil change (5-30w) but the only thing I noticed is that here in San Francisco, it has been getting very cold. My average trips are 13-15 miles each way on my commute. I try to coast as much as possible. I do have my ac/heater on most of the time. Can anyone give me some areas to look at? Could there be a mechanical problem? Oh yeah, I just had my tires changed by lexus. They buy 2 and I buy 2, and my tires were changed from Goodyears to Michelins. Same size just different brand.
Old 02-05-08, 04:53 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newwave88
Hey all. I thought I was doing fairly well to get 24.5- 24.7 mpg but after noticing that 25-30% of those surveyed are getting better I am jealous. Actually, just recently (past 2-3,000) miles I've noticed a decrease in MPG's. I am now getting about 23.2-23.5. I have not changed my driving habits. I may need an air filter (but I can still see light thru some areas of it) and just did an oil change (5-30w) but the only thing I noticed is that here in San Francisco, it has been getting very cold. My average trips are 13-15 miles each way on my commute. I try to coast as much as possible. I do have my ac/heater on most of the time. Can anyone give me some areas to look at? Could there be a mechanical problem? Oh yeah, I just had my tires changed by lexus. They buy 2 and I buy 2, and my tires were changed from Goodyears to Michelins. Same size just different brand.
DO not be confused GOOD (BAD) YEAR'S are not worth it at all they are POS my RX400h has Michellins at 25,000 miles from the factory and still look good.

My gas milage is going down also. I am down on average about 10% due to cold weather I find that when it is colder your milage suffers. My Prius did the same I averaged 48 MPG but when it was extremely cold I dropped to 38 MPG.
Attached Thumbnails What kind of mpg are you guys getting?-mpgvtemp.jpg  
Old 02-05-08, 08:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Takes alot longer to warm that CAT up in cold weather, thus fewer MPGs.
Old 02-19-08, 06:26 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Talked to my folks last night who driving back to PA from SC. Said that they were getting a ridiculous 31 mpg and had gone 450 some odd miles with stopping to refuel.
Old 02-19-08, 12:57 PM
boz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by herbvdh
A reliable source told me that the 2009 Lexus will have an EV switch with that you can go 10 miles at 20 MPH on relatively level road with a fully charged battery also we will see the ECONOMY switch to reduce power at acceleration this gets another 10% in gas milage.
You likely don't even need a reliable source for this. Just go to your Toyota dealer and drive a loaded 08 Highlander Limited. It has everything the Lexus should have for the next generation. It has the EV mode, Economy mode, and keyless proximity ignition switch. On the NAV equipped model, the dual displays are cool.

Anyhow, $48K was a bit too pricey for me for what is otherwise a pretty non-descript crossover Toyota. Since the 2006 through 2008 RX models are pretty much the same, I opted for a CPO RX400h for my first foray into hybrids.
Old 02-19-08, 04:12 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Boz:
Good Luck and enjoy it make sure you have other than Good (BAD) Year tires mine is also a CPO I waited over a year for mine. I had no rush or need but I know the sales person.
Dr. VDH
Old 02-23-08, 08:08 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Thumbs up First Day Driving

City driving only in our first day of driving short trips was 24.3 MPG. Will update after a week of driving but I'm happy so far. Our Cadillace SRX NorthStar AWD got 13 MGP around town, so the premium for the hybrid was well worth it to us, plus, the RX 400h acts like a V8 and the handling seems better than the non-hybrid. For us, it was well worth it as we have a second home in Fawnskin, CA on Big Bear Lake and we take Hwy 18 up from Yucca Valley. Anyone who knows that shorter trip up the mountain (3600 feet in 20 minutes) is gruesome if you have an underpowered SUV that weighs over 2 tons!

Cheers
Old 03-10-08, 09:40 PM
dllaser
9th Gear

Originally Posted by TwoHybrids
My household owns two cars, a 2004 Toyota Prius and a 2007 AWD RXh, and I find that the RX is much more consistent on its MPG than our Prius.

I can get 50+ MPG on our Prius under certain conditions. Once did a 40-mile roundtrip Los Angeles-area trip with just me, AC off, and the car empty and returned 55 MPG! But if the Prius is full of people and/or stuff and I'm accelerating hard and the AC's on, fuel economy can easily slip below 35 MPG.

With our RXh, I'm finding its fuel economy to be much more consistent. When loaded up and accelerating hard, it can fall to 18 or so. When lightly loaded, AC off, windows up, and driving gently, she'll give me 30. But by and large, she sits at 23-27 MPG.

Given my driving style and habits, I'm overall averaging about 25 MPG.

Does anyone else share this desire: Golly gee would it have been good if Lexus included an "economy" or "fuel savings" mode! The car has so much power -- you owners who've stomped your right foot when the road is clear ahead of you, you know what I'm talkin' about! -- that it's really a shame not to have the driver option to lessen the power to gain economy. There are certainly trips and drives when you want the full power that the RXh has on tap (wonderful...), but there are also trips and drives when I could do with 1/3rd less power in exchange for greater fuel efficiency.

How about a button that allows me to cut HP and/or drive further on the batts, in order to increase the fuel efficiency? Given the amount of power on tap in the car, such a setting option makes a lot of sense.

Power on!
TwoHybrids
ditto. Seem I use to have that option 2 or 3 models ago...

Quick Reply: What kind of mpg are you guys getting?