Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

181 GS450h cars sold in May!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 02:46 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Getting a hybrid is not about saving money actually, it's more eco-friendly and people need to realize that. In addition, in the case of GS450h, you get the power of a V8 with the fuel efficiency of a V6.
Boy...someone really drank up the kool-aid. Eco friendly??? What about that cache of batteries in your back seat? Manufacturing impact, disposal of all that lead-acid, not to mention the chemical concerns when gas mixes with acid which mixes with anti-freeze which mixes with oil in a crash. Ask any EMT how they feel about being called to hybrid car wrecks. Eco-friendly is marketing hogwash. Fuel economy is slightly better, but the difference is negligible when you factor in the depreciation of hybrids, and the environemental impact of battery disposal. Honestly, would you ever buy a 4 year old used hybrid? $4,000 for new batteries is a big deterrent.
Old 06-03-07, 02:54 PM
06lx470
Driver School Candidate

acura rl is a rebaged honda accord that is why it does not sell well
Old 06-03-07, 03:59 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eco-friendly in terms of less carbon footprint.

Sure I didn't take into consideration of when a crash happens, was that kool-aid comment necessary?
Old 06-03-07, 04:22 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Probably not....sorry if I responded a bit too strong. I can feel my blood pressure climb when I hear complete nonsense in the news, and then find out that people actually believe it.

The Hybrid hype about it being more "green" is near the top of the list! And, regarding the carbon footprint....we are a carbon-based life form. Our entire existence is dependant on carbon. There isn't too much of it. Heck, without it, we'd lose it's insulating capacity and freeze to death. Remember, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Pluto have all warmed consistent with Earth. It ain't global warming! And driving a hybrid won't fix what isn't broken.

Ok...off my soap box for now.
Old 06-03-07, 06:07 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Boy...someone really drank up the kool-aid. Eco friendly??? What about that cache of batteries in your back seat? Manufacturing impact, disposal of all that lead-acid, not to mention the chemical concerns when gas mixes with acid which mixes with anti-freeze which mixes with oil in a crash. Ask any EMT how they feel about being called to hybrid car wrecks. Eco-friendly is marketing hogwash. Fuel economy is slightly better, but the difference is negligible when you factor in the depreciation of hybrids, and the environemental impact of battery disposal. Honestly, would you ever buy a 4 year old used hybrid? $4,000 for new batteries is a big deterrent.
Before getting so worked up maybe you should get your facts straight! These battery arguments are five years behind times; you're the last one to bring these up. GS450h, just like Prius relies on nickel-metal hydride batteries, not the lead-acid ones. Furthermore, the batteries are designed to last at least 150,000 miles. Over such long life the reduced gas consumption and emissions FAR outweigh the negatives associated with battery disposal. And, by the way, the technology for recycling this type of batteries keeps on improving.
Old 06-03-07, 06:10 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Remember, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Pluto have all warmed consistent with Earth. It ain't global warming! And driving a hybrid won't fix what isn't broken.
George W. is it you? I didn't realize you knew how to use the Internet tubes. I thought that even you admitted last week that global warming was real...
Old 06-03-07, 06:42 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Regardless of battery type, the same issues remain...safety and volatility in a crash, cost of manufacturing and disposal, horrible depreciation, and NO IMPACT what-so-ever on the melting polar ice caps (which have melted and frozen countless times throughout history). Clearly the point was lost on you Mr. Gore.

Here's the questions you didn't answer....would you buy a 4 year old hybrid? Will driving a hybrid help cool Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Pluto (all have warmed in synch with each other)? Will driving a hybrid somehow eliminate the long and documented cyclic warming and cooling of most planets?

No need to really answer. We won't convince each other anyway. Just some interesing cyber discussion...
Old 06-03-07, 07:46 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And, regarding the carbon footprint....we are a carbon-based life form. Our entire existence is dependant on carbon. There isn't too much of it. Heck, without it, we'd lose it's insulating capacity and freeze to death.
Are you freaking kidding me ? We are not talking about global freezing but global warming. In case you where sleeping during your 8 grade science class, carbon is the #1 greenhouse gas, it has been proven time and time again by all the scientific community (not the one financed by oil company though) that the balance of gases in the atmosphere is really delicate and that there is indeed TOO MUCH carbon in the atmosphere.

There is indeed a documented cycle of heating and cooling of the planet, but nothing as fast and as extreme as the one we are experiencing right now. The reason being human impact and most of all carbon emission in the atmosphere.

Now if you want to keep you head buried in the sand, do not worry, only your *** will heat up.
Old 06-03-07, 08:02 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Since there isn't too much carbon... How about let's take all the carbon atoms in glucose and turn them into carbon dioxide? Or even carbon monoxide for that matter?

So what's the purpose of a designing/owning/driving hybrid car anyway in your opinion?
Old 06-03-07, 09:44 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Modeler
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course. But let me point out a few things:

4. The difference in fuel economy is very significant. My average of the last 2,000 miles has been 24 mpg. I'm guessing that comparable mix of driving would have produced mileage of about 15-17 mpg with my heavy foot on the 430. At the current Premium gas prices of $3.30, I would save over $2,000 in gas in just three years.
Based on the new EPA estimates, which will be in effect shortly, the combined city/highway miles are:

2007 GS450h: 23
2007 GS350: 22
2007 GS430: 19

While we don't know what the GS460's mileage will be, I'm guessing that it'll be close to the 430 since the engine is newer (better mileage probably) but has more horsepower (less mileage probably), which means they'll probably cancel each other out.

The difference between 19 mpg to 23 mpg will barely be noticable for most drivers.
Old 06-03-07, 10:53 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point is not gas millage, though it's good that it is better, the point is CO2 emissions, the Lexus US website do not give any information on this, because, you know, the US **** on the Kyoto protocol, so CO2, who cares ?
But in UK you can find this information, here is the break out:

GS 430: 269 g/km
GS 300: 232 g/km
GS 450h: 186 g/km

The champions are for sure the Toyota Prius and the Civic Hybrid
Prius: 104 g/km
Civic Hybrid: 109 g/km

So 178% the CO2 emissions of the Prius, but 69% the one of the GS430.
I believe it make a difference, it may not save the planet in the end, but it send the message that more efficient engines and motors needs to be used, and for sure the economic aspect do not make sense, but I can afford it and the impact on my Karma is priceless.

For reference:
Lexus LS460: 261 g/km
Mercedes E500: 280 g/km
Hummer H3: 327 g/km
BMW M5: 357 g/km
Aston Martin Vanquish S: 448 g/km

Source: http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/
Old 06-04-07, 03:28 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

It doesn't cost the Earth to save the planet.
Old 06-04-07, 04:00 AM
PharmISee
Driver

I happen to know michelle kwan has a GS450h. A little factoid.
Old 06-04-07, 02:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by steverhode
Based on the new EPA estimates, which will be in effect shortly, the combined city/highway miles are:

2007 GS450h: 23
2007 GS350: 22
2007 GS430: 19

While we don't know what the GS460's mileage will be, I'm guessing that it'll be close to the 430 since the engine is newer (better mileage probably) but has more horsepower (less mileage probably), which means they'll probably cancel each other out.

The difference between 19 mpg to 23 mpg will barely be noticable for most drivers.
Well it will be the same engine as the LS 460 and I think that is 20 combined and since the GS is lighter, it might get 21....not sure
Old 06-04-07, 06:36 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

At any given moment in time, there are a minimum of 25,000 commercial aircraft in the skies over the US alone (far more during daytime hours). 24 hours, 7 days a week...with no catalytic converters. They are pumping incredible quantities of combustion products DIRECTLY into the atmosphere...30,000 feet in the air. Why is no one concerned?

One volanic eruption (a natural occurance, mind you) pumps more combustion products and general filth into the air than all those airplanes. Why is no one concerned?

How many tons of combustion products are pumped into the atmosphere by commercial rocket launches that place all those satellites in orbit that you use to find your way to the gas station to fill up your "green" hybrid? Why is no one concerned?

Reducing CO2 emmissions by counting g/km of CO2 output is like trying to empty the ocean with an eyedropper. It's beyond silly.

Head in the sand...indeed!

Quick Reply: 181 GS450h cars sold in May!