Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

181 GS450h cars sold in May!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 06:44 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
There is indeed a documented cycle of heating and cooling of the planet, but nothing as fast and as extreme as the one we are experiencing right now. The reason being human impact and most of all carbon emission in the atmosphere.
Ok...I'll ask one more time.....how do you explain the fact that most of the other planets in our solar system are warming consistently with Earth?

Answer: It's a natural cyclic occurance, likely based on elliptical orbits around the sun. Naaaaah....couldn't be that. Must be the little motors in our little catalytic converted cars. Yeah...that's it.

Who's head is in the sand???
Old 06-04-07, 09:08 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I remind you that cars are responsible for almost a quarter of the annual US emission of CO2.

People are actually very concerned about the commercial aviation, but as it turns out, this is a relatively efficient mode of transportation in term of carbon footprint regarding the distance and the number of people transported. For long distance it is better to fly than to drive. In fact air travel account for less than 5% of the global CO2 emission.

May I ask a question, where did you got your fact about the other planets of the solar system ? And more important what kind of historic data did we, humans, have on the past climate on other planets ? You know we are drilling very deep in the polar caps to be able to get historic data on earth’s climate, I wonder how we do that on other planets ? Maybe Xenu come at night to talk to you, unfortunately, he didn’t come to me.
Old 06-04-07, 09:56 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because we can't do anything about it doesn't mean we're not concerned. What are we supposed to do? Stop flying? Make regulations against airlines limiting their number of flights or Boeing/Airbus to lower production?

Volcanic eruption... Can we even do anything about it?!

And just exactly how many tons of combustion products are pumped into the atmosphere by commercial rockets in a given year? Would the amount of combustion product produced by all of the cars in the U.S. come anywhere close to that?

Either way... I agree that we can see evidence of solar system warming; however, we cannot deny the fact that a higher level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is also a contributing factor and it is impossible to distinguish between the two. Most scientists have agreed that greenhouse gases have contributed to global warming in the past and the idea that a brighter sun plays a significant role is yet to be determined.

I do believe that there is an increasing number of scientists taking a step back and trying to determine if we even have any contribution to global warming, maybe it doesn't matter at all.

And just for the record, the average temperature on Pluto increased as it traveled farther away from the sun. Secondly, scientists are suggesting a positive correlation between the number of sun spots and temperature increase, not physical distance.

"whose"
Old 06-05-07, 04:36 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
...But in UK you can find this information, here is the break out:

GS 430: 269 g/km
GS 300: 232 g/km
GS 450h: 186 g/km

The champions are for sure the Toyota Prius and the Civic Hybrid
Prius: 104 g/km
Civic Hybrid: 109 g/km

For reference:
Lexus LS460: 261 g/km
Mercedes E500: 280 g/km
Hummer H3: 327 g/km
BMW M5: 357 g/km
Aston Martin Vanquish S: 448 g/km

Source: http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/
Folks let's settle down now, no need to take sides on the tree huggers vs dino junkies debate. I think the above post says it all, it's not about whether you should buy a GS450h vs a GS430/460, it should be buy a LEXUS vs a _______ (fill in the blank with any environmentally conscious challenged car mfr). Clearly Lexus (Toyota) leads the pack in efforts to market attractive, efficient, less polluting vehicles up & down the lineup. Personally, I wouldn't get a hybrid, but knowing that a ULEVII LS460 emits 35-75% less pollutants than the competition makes it all the more sweeter . . .
Old 06-07-07, 02:27 PM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Be prepared to see another 450h nearby!

Originally Posted by Modeler
You can deduce the number of GS450h sold in May by subtracting the number of RX400h sold from the total number of Lexus hybrids sold in the month. It comes to 181 (I figure there were no LS600h sold in May yet). That's great news because it means that GS40h still remains a very unique car. Since I bought mine in January I've only seen two other 450's in our area (D.C.).

The older I get, the more I enjoy driving something that's a bit off the mainstream. I bought my 2004 Acura TL right when it came out, but a year or two later I would typically see at least five cars that were exactly like my, including the color, in a given day. It may sound silly, but somehow it took away from my enjoyment of that car. I know for sure that it's not going to happen with the GS450h...
My Starfire Pearl 450h is en route to Maryland from Lexus of Mission Viejo (CA) -- I just couldn't find any on the East Coast with the Active Stabilizer option. The Mission Viejo folks made me such a great deal that it was well worth my while to ship it (covered, of course! ). ETA is June 21, so Modeler, expect to see a "cousin" with Maryland tags around the area (I work in Arlington, VA).

Cheers!