Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

A problem in the rain after disableing the DRL

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 04:49 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A problem in the rain after disableing the DRL

Whoops spelling typo in the title

A problem in the rain after disabling the DRL

and a solution

I managed to turn off my DRL but in NY and most states the law requires you to turn on your lights in the rain. The problem is that there is is no bell to remind you that you left the lights on and the lights don't turn them self off automatically so the first time I turned on the headlights in the rain I wound up forgetting to turn them off.

The solution I came up with is not to turn on the lights. I always keep my lights set to the automatic setting and had switched to the manual on position when it rained. But now when it rains I leave the switch in the auto position and cover the light sensor (any dark collered object will work however a light / white object will work but it with leave a reflection on the window) if it stops raining I just remove the cover from the sensor to turn off the lights, if I forget to remove the cover the lights will turn themselves off after 90 seconds after you turn off the key (or whatever time you told the dealer to set them to).

The light sensor is a circular red (it is red but is so dark it looks like it is black) thing that is on the drivers side near the window defroster vent
Old 06-25-07, 11:56 AM
yummyutoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some piaa LED from a dealer in Japan. To my amazement, my DRL automatically does not work in any position. The only time they come on is when my headlights are on! My guess is that the bulbs only use 3 volts and consume less powedr then a regular bulb, thus disabiling the DRL. I don't know if this helps?

P.S.-No special mods had to be made! Only changed the bulbs!
Old 06-26-07, 06:31 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by yummyutoo
I bought some piaa LED from a dealer in Japan. To my amazement, my DRL automatically does not work in any position. The only time they come on is when my headlights are on! My guess is that the bulbs only use 3 volts and consume less powedr then a regular bulb, thus disabiling the DRL. I don't know if this helps?

P.S.-No special mods had to be made! Only changed the bulbs!

Good find. So, when your lights are on the DRL is on?
Old 06-26-07, 06:32 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Even if it is night time? You have 2 sets of lights on?