Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

'07 vs '08 400H: Any big changes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 03:30 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default '07 vs '08 400H: Any big changes?

i'm about to buy a new '07 400H. Disregarding the usual issues of buying this late in the model year, does anyone know if the '08 will have significant technology, styling or other mods? should i wait?

thanks...

winsalem
Old 06-24-07, 05:32 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If you like the current car, stick with it. The next generation is to grow, like the new '08 just-released Highlander has, maybe add a 3rd seat option, complete redesign. I have seen here possibly a Spring or Summer release '08 of the next RX model, possibly as an '09 rather than '08. The hybrid may well be a delayed introduction, nothing I can quote there, but it would not surprise me given the lower volumes and the fact it is now only made in Japan. The last years of a car tend to be the most trouble-free in my experience.
Old 06-24-07, 10:04 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
If you like the current car, stick with it. The next generation is to grow, like the new '08 just-released Highlander has, maybe add a 3rd seat option, complete redesign. I have seen here possibly a Spring or Summer release '08 of the next RX model, possibly as an '09 rather than '08. The hybrid may well be a delayed introduction, nothing I can quote there, but it would not surprise me given the lower volumes and the fact it is now only made in Japan. The last years of a car tend to be the most trouble-free in my experience.
thanks Jim. i trade cars a lot and i've just got the itch.

if i read you correctly, the 400h's are only made in Japan? that's a good thing right? the 330 i owned was made in Canada (i think) and it was not up to par...certainly not like my previous Lexi made in Japan.

Also sounds like you believe the last years of the current 400h could be the most trouble-free...also a positive thing. but i do worry about all the tire-wear complaints i've been seeing on here, the accelerator lunges and so on.

where in NC are ya?
Old 06-25-07, 05:53 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in New Bern, bought it at Johnson in Raleigh. Very nice facility and people. So far all RXh's are made in Japan, mine has no issues. My only service trip has been the first free oil change. I don't notice a surge but at 40 there can be some slight flutters as the ICE goes on and off on very light throttle. I can make that happen if I try, but it's not an issue for me. The tire wear is mostly a function of the Goodyears having a 260 treadwear rating--that's all they are made for but they have reasonably good grip. The Michelin, I believe, is 400. My Goodyears are wearing evenly, only 6k now, but tires are cheap if it makes the car better. I also trade very often, my last string was 3 first-year-in-the-series MB's and they were troublesome. Nothing put me out of service, but a light would come on, I'd go to the dealer, they were great and told me they'd call when the part came, another trip (also a 100 miles each way, like the Lexus) for the part....and so on. I understand the first year will have issues but there were far more than I would have expected on a MB (3 in a row, mind you!). Lexus is probably better, and the MB is probably more complex--and they are reducing that complexity. The last MB had drive by wire electronic brakes, a LAN instead of wiring harness, on and on. Complex, slick, but troublesome in the first years in my experience. Good dealer, did all they could to make me satisfied, but just not up to what I've experienced in a year with the Lexus and other Toyota products.