Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 01:05 PM
geosommer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter

Hello,
We just got our new 400H last nite.
Does anybody have installed a remote starter for their car?
Dealer or aftermarket installer??

geosommer
Mt. Prospect,IL
Old 08-02-07, 07:43 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

If you are in the waste management business like I am a remote starter is very important. Unfortunately I have had a few of my remote starters blow up on me. My first remote started Louie the lip got killed when my car blew up when he started it, the I gave the job to blackjack Tony but he passed away when my car burst into fire right after he started the car. Now I am using no neck Al as my remoter starter but he is getting real nervous after the car got all full of smoke after he started the car. I think the key to getting a good remote starter is finding someone that is new in the organization and willing to take some risks. Your remote starter should be careful and observant, He should be able to notice if the hood has been opened or anything has been tampered with. If you are in the waste management business a good remote starter can save your life, I have heard other people that aren’t in my line of work also use remote starters but I am not really sure what other lines of work would put your life in danger that would require you hire someone as your remote starter.
Old 08-03-07, 08:59 AM
KenLex41
Driver School Candidate

Default Probably Not

Seriously, I thought about getting one installed on 400h, but after all the issues I had with getting the dealer to install an iPod adapter (they wouldn't). I doubt you will find a dealer to install a remote starter.

I would be conserned with all the electrical components and how a remote starter would interact with them. Let me know if you get one installed and how it works. It sure would be nice on cold and even hot days to have the car at a good temperature when I get in it.
Old 08-07-07, 03:52 AM
geosommer
Driver School Candidate

My Dealer, Arlington Lexus of Palatine quoted me $600.00 installed with using one of the key fobs.
Old 08-07-07, 07:51 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread for two reasons. #1 I was curious what the reaction would be to my attempt at humor. #2 I suspected that there wouldn’t be many people with remote starters. When I first got the RX400H I wasn’t too concerned with fuel usage but there is something about this car that causes people to become obsessed with MPG and I have to admit owning the RX400H flipped a switched a switch in my brain that changed my attitude about driving habits and gas mileage. Lexus does not try to sell the “H” car by promoting fuel mileage and the typical Lexus owner (my guess) doesn’t bother keeping track of fuel mileage and since the remote starter is a fuel waster my theory was that a non-hybrid Lexus driver would probably be more likely to have a remote starter installed, but a hybrid driver that is more concerned with mileage would not have one. Judging from the lack of responses to the question I think my theory may be correct. I personally have vowed to be less concerned with fuel mileage but there is just something about this car that flips a switch in your brain that makes you obsessed with your MPG. I think that neat looking display on the NAV screen has a lot to do with it. I think all those fancy bars and battery level meter that changes from purple to blue to green entices you to play a little game with your self to see how many miles you can stretch out of a gallon.
One other thing comes to mind regarding starting the engine. I have mentioned this in other threads and other people have also said this. It seems to me that more people have the desire to keep the engine of than turn it on. I wish there was a way to keep the engine off and run on pure battery power if I only intend on moving the car out of the path of another car I am blocking in the drive way. Others have asked if there was a switch that could be wired up (bad idea because it will probably hurt fuel economy) that will allow you to drive short distances on battery only. I am sorry you didn’t get the responses you hoped for but I kind of suspect that the average hybrid driver is more interested in keeping the engine off than turning it on unnecessarily. I never really personally liked the concept of remote starters but the beautiful thing about living in the U.S of A is that we have the freedom to whatever pleases us as long as we can afford it.
If you do decide to proceed you will need to defeat the security key system. The car won’t start unless there is a key with the proper computer code near the key switch. The installer will have to mount a spare key (the spare flat wallet key that Lexus provides will be perfect for this) but the down side is that your car will now be less secure from a thief trying to steal it because you would have disabled an important anti-theft feature.

PS I hope my attempt at humor in the other post I made didn't offend anyone, and if anyone was offended I apologize
Old 08-07-07, 09:27 AM
neel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silvervett

PS I hope my attempt at humor in the other post I made didn't offend anyone, and if anyone was offended I apologize
You kidding rite? that was an amazing instant topper and simply hilarious!! cracked me up and bunch of friends too..

on the remote starter - it was available as a dealer install at time of purchase - for around $400 as far as I can remember...
Old 12-17-07, 02:34 PM
Briankim79
Driver School Candidate

So you can get a remote starter from the dealer, but at the cost of the security system?
Old 12-18-07, 05:51 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Default remote starter

Originally Posted by Briankim79
So you can get a remote starter from the dealer, but at the cost of the security system?
The dealer uses your valet key and places somewhere inside your starting system to "trick" the vehicle into starting when you push the remote start button.

The vehicle will remained locked while it is running so your security system continues to function until you unlock it. Similarly, if someone were to break into your vehicle while it has been remote started and tries to drive it, as soon as they push the brake pedal, the system shuts the car off. (It won't shut it off if you place the key into the ignition and turn it to on.)

The only danger is that someone breaks into your vehicle, knows you have a remote start system and then finds your valet key and starts your car using it.

A pretty remote (pun intended) possibility.

You might want to check out some remote starter manufacturer's sites like http://www.directed.com/
Old 12-18-07, 06:07 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I thought this was a minor irritant but then realized the power of the heated seats. They are simply awesome, I wonder if it has to do with the output of the backup batteries lol.

As for car starters, it all comes down to the installer. Experience and know how. Any vehicle can be electronically car started, the difference lies in the professionalism. Most installers are hacks, if you shop based on price. I am not saying the dealer is the place to go, but then again if there is ever a recurring problem you can always wash your hands of it and take it back to the dealer. In the event you have it done at a local shop, you may get into a problem with the dealer. Not sure if lexus would approve of a car starter.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 12-18-07, 06:54 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Lexus definitely approves/condones it. I have two reasonably local dealers. One dealer will install the Audiovox remote starter for $550 in the Lexus dealership. The other dealer told me they farm their remote starter business out to a single installer down the road. It was easy to find out who this was and they have one person who does all work on Lexus and BMW vehicles.

The dealers know this is something customers desire and it is no longer a forbidden accessory. (With the daytime high here of 25 today, I will sure appreciate the value of remote start and heated seats after my car has sat for 11 hours outside.)
Old 12-18-07, 09:53 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unabacia
Lexus definitely approves/condones it...
I believe if you call Lexus USA and ask them, I am not so sure you will get a hearty "YessUHH!"

MadloR
Old 12-20-07, 08:12 AM
vinnieg24
Driver School Candidate

i can't believe the prices on some of those remote starters with installation, it's ridiculous. although, it's a great thing to have for the winter
Old 12-20-07, 02:34 PM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Vinnie

Is $350 for a remote starter with 1/4 mile of coverage a ridiculously high price? I am kicking myself that I didn't do it on other vehicles years ago.
Old 12-21-07, 08:29 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I honestly do not see any benefit to it, and I am surprised to see it brought up in a hybrid forum. A remote starter is a fuel waster and it takes away from the fuel saving properties a hybrid has. But aside from the fact it wastes fuel it is harmful to the engine (less harmful in FI engines than engines with a carburetor but still harmful) and it wastes fuel warming up the engine does not negate the fact that a car needs to be driven slowly the first few miles to properly warm up the transmission, drive train wheel bearings, shocks etc. I have gotten into my car on some cold days when I am in NY for a visit and even on single digit temps if feels pretty comfortable with the heated seats on max in less than one mile. If you do get one keep in mind that even if the engine is warmed up you still need to drive slowly for the first few miles. If you are on a lease and don’t give a darn about the next owner I guess you can abuse the car to your hearts content. But in my case I take pride in taking care of my car even though I have a three year lease I pay extra for synthetic oil that I buy and bring to the dealer when I change the oil.