Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

I have been wondering about this for a while, how can you tell if the car is AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 08:02 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have been wondering about this for a while, how can you tell if the car is AWD?

I have had my car since last Oct and can't tell the diffrence between regular and AWD. My car has all wheel drive and without crawling under the car to look for a rear electric motor the only thing I can see on my car is the rear electric motor on the NAV screen. It seems as if Lexus has chosen not to advertise the fact the RX400H is AWD. Is there an easy way to identify an AWD?
Old 08-10-07, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
I have had my car since last Oct and can't tell the diffrence between regular and AWD. My car has all wheel drive and without crawling under the car to look for a rear electric motor the only thing I can see on my car is the rear electric motor on the NAV screen. It seems as if Lexus has chosen not to advertise the fact the RX400H is AWD. Is there an easy way to identify an AWD?
At least with the RX300, there was not only the driveshaft underneath, but also the vin number as meetya described later in this post, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=294339
Old 08-10-07, 01:54 PM
vulpasin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The display (for AWD) shows the 2 electrical motors, charging the battery or engaging in traction...I'm wondering, for the FWD cars the display shows a different image?
Old 08-10-07, 02:53 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The FWD RX400h are only sold in Florida and one other state which Im thinking is California, but I cant remember.
Old 08-10-07, 05:32 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The FWD RX400h are only sold in Florida and one other state which Im thinking is California, but I cant remember.
I am not sure if that is true. When I leased the RX400H last Oct I owned a house in TX and a house in NY. I am not 100% sure but I seem to remember that both states had both versions. I am pretty sure that the dealer in TX sold both but didn't have any AWD cars in stock and I seem to remember the NY dealer had both the AWD & FWD in stock. My memory may be wrong because I had a lot of stuff going on in my life back then
Old 08-10-07, 07:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I remember when the RX300 came out for instance, it was very difficult for my friends in my home state of Florida to get AWD, only FWD seemed available. My RX was originally a NY titled vehicle and thus with the snow the AWD would of course be necessary.

I think perhaps Lexus studied the buying patterns in different areas of the country with the RX300 and the FWD/AWD and perhaps the RX330 and then made later decisions with regard to sales of the newer RX350 and RX400h.

In Mexico for instance, AWD models are much, much harder to come by than in the U.S. and/or they come at a significantly higher price. I find this rather surprising as I would think AWD would be quite useful (the reason I look for an AWD RX300 was because of Mexico and its terrains), but it appears easier for Mexican distributors to import the cheaper FWD models and tell the consumer take it or leave it. I get the distinct impression they sell vehicles (or certain vehicle setups) that don't sell very well elsewhere with few exceptions.
Old 08-19-07, 12:15 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Not a true statement. They're sold here in Hawaii as well.
Old 08-20-07, 06:17 PM
wessew
Driver School Candidate

Default Handling Differences between FWD and AWD

On slightly different tangent, I am considering purchasing an RX400h. I noticed in test drives that the FWD had noticeable torque steer when accelerating on turns, etc. I find this objectionable. I have been told the the AWD does not exhibit torque steer. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Also, how does the handling characteristic of the AWD compare with FWD? I do live in Fl and I would like to know how much to press for AWD in terms of insisting on a dealer trade.
Old 08-21-07, 12:59 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The RX 300, 330, and 350 exhibit a similar torque steer in FWD examples that is almost totally absent in the AWD. It would not be particularly bad, except that the TRAC system steps in to pulse the brake on the spinning (inside) wheel, making the steering wheel ****** back an forth as torque is applied and unloaded through the spinning wheel. You learn quickly to get off the throttle NOW. Having owned examples of each and despite the weight, mileage, and complexity penalty of AWD, I am one of its biggest fans.

However, I'm not sure that AWD in the 400h would give the same results, since the excess front wheel torque is not being redirected to the rear wheels through the viscous coupling. In the 400h the only thing that connects the front to rear wheels is the road.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-21-07 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-21-07, 05:36 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I have driven my RX400h 2000 miles. They are part time all wheel drive I never had any torque steer problems at all. This vehicle handles like a dream. I will add that the RX400h is 2.5 inches higher than the RX350 also. What made me notice this is when my son had a RX350 as a loaner I said it was lower and checked out the specs.
Old 08-23-07, 11:28 AM
TwoHybrids
Driver School Candidate

I have about 5k miles on my 07 RX400h AWD. I didn't test-drive the FWD model, only the AWD, because I wanted AWD from the outset. Better resale value and faster acceleration times (admittedly, incremental on both).

I like that when you stomp the go pedal, every motor and engine in your 400h kicks in and you GO. FAST.
Old 08-23-07, 02:19 PM
grlt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vulpasin
The display (for AWD) shows the 2 electrical motors, charging the battery or engaging in traction...I'm wondering, for the FWD cars the display shows a different image?
The FWD models I've been in only show the front motor, V6, and the battery.
The AWD models showed everything.

The FWD models were more common in Gainesville, FL. (Doesn't help to not have a Lexus dealer)
Old 09-06-07, 06:14 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I was reading the Emergency Response Guide and found the answer very easy on page 5 the serail number for 2WD is JTJGW3 and the 4WD is JTJHW3 note the fourth letter from the left changes. For those that want to read this guide here is the link it is a 27 page Pdf. http://www.lexus.ca/images/designtec...X400hERG-e.pdf
Old 09-07-07, 05:49 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I was reading the Emergency Response Guide and found the answer very easy on page 5 the serail number for 2WD is JTJGW3 and the 4WD is JTJHW3 note the fourth letter from the left changes. For those that want to read this guide here is the link it is a 27 page Pdf. http://www.lexus.ca/images/designtec...X400hERG-e.pdf
I was kind of thinking if there was a way to tell the diffrence without looking at a vin or crawling under the car. I wanted to know if there was a way to tell an AWD RX400H if you drive past one on the expressway at 60 MPH. I guess that after reading the responses there is no way to tell the diffrence if you happen to drive past one and only get a brief look.
Old 09-07-07, 06:25 PM
grlt
Driver School Candidate

If I remember correctly the Toyota/Lexus Hybrid SUVs sit a bit higher than their siblings, and this is the part I'm unsure about, the 4WDs ride at yet a different height.

Quick Reply: I have been wondering about this for a while, how can you tell if the car is AWD?