Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

When will the new-body RX hybrid be out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 01:15 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will the new-body RX hybrid be out?

I saw a lot of discussion around the 2009 RX350 (all new RX) in this forum https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294904..

Is it reasonable to assume that Lexus will make the hybrid version immediately available for the new body RX using the current 3.3L+baterry technology? Or they will keep the current RX400h engine and looks as it is now(on the old body)?

It will be weird to see in the dealer lot two RX models: the all new RX350 on the new body and the RX400h on the same body/looks as 2006/2007/2008 model. This sounds strange to me.

Last edited by SugarRush; 08-13-07 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-07, 07:25 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Just reading and watching the Edmunds clip and article I think this may be intersting Hybrid only in the stretch version. IMHO I do not need a seven passenger SUV for my driving I rarely ever use the rear seats anyway. I actually like the current size now like my 2006 RX400h now if they put Lithium batteries I just might say give me one now!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116536
Old 08-13-07, 07:49 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Lithium battery, while very promising, is not yet a mature technology from the pespective of Toyota R&D. Recent insider news I read from The Motortrend magazine says that Toyota postpone the new Prius to 2010 or 2011 because of 'safety' reason. I doubt it if it will be ready for the all new 2009 RX hybrid.
Old 08-14-07, 09:57 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Lots of work going on re Lithium batteries for all kinds of applications. Lithium Polymer looked pretty good for a while, but the safety issues may not be solvable. Crash damage could cause a fire that would be very hot and difficult to put out. Problems with charging and balancing can also cause fires. Lithium Ion was the hot ticket for a while, but there are still cost and safety issues. A friend in the battery design business says that Lithium Manganese batteries are the likely long term choice. Much safer and at high production rates cheaper. First applications are for cordless tools like drills, saws, etc.

The new Highlander Hybrid uses the current drivetrain with a couple of control additions. An EV switch which lets the car run on batteries only for a short time under some very limited conditions. There is also an ECON switch which biases the computer for more use of the electric power at the cost of some performance. Neither switch is very useful with the current battery limits, but show the direction for future battery upgrades.

My guess is that the 2009 RX400h will use the current drivetrain until the new batteries are production ready, then a major upgrade in hybrid capability in the same body. Somewhere in that progression, Toyota will switch to a 3.5 liter engine as the 3.3 is phased out for cost reasons.

With the announcement of a 2008 RX400h with virtually now changes, it looks like Lexus will announce the 2009 RX350 early next year followed by the hybrid version some time later. That would leave the current body RX400h on the lot against the RX350 with the new body for at least a short time.

Steve