Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Canceled My LS600hL Order

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 06:54 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canceled My LS600hL Order

Yep, I walked in today and got a refund on my deposit. The salesman I'd been dealing with asked why, and then agreed with me when I said the communication between Lexus corporate, their dealers, and eventually to me has been abysmal for a $120K car.

I intend to write a letter to Lexus explaining, in non-sensational terms, how they failed to live up to my expectations in an effort to help them get their customer experience up to the level of their engineering. If they really want to break into that next level of luxury, they're going to have to do better.

So now I'm back to looking at the S8 again, or maybe waiting a few months (until I move back to L.A.) and try again for the LS600hL. I would like to think that maybe the bigger-volume dealers there, who are also that much closer to Lexus HQ, might be in a better position to keep me posted on things like delivery dates, option choices, pricing, etc.

It's sad that I was the one constantly bringing news I learned here at CL to my salesman, who after a few days would finally be able to confirm whatever it was I brought him. It's sad--I still love the car--but I wasn't feeling the love from the people who are oh-so-important to the car-buying process...
Old 09-05-07, 07:12 PM
Atlas
Rookie

I notice you are in Chantilly, so I am assuming you are dealing with P*****A Lexus. I have ordered a 2008 from them and I must have visited 10 times to test drive, look, ask questions, etc. It was amazing, I think I knew more than everyone in the entire dealership about the LS model. So what was your particular issue with them

Last edited by Atlas; 09-05-07 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-05-07, 07:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Sometimes it really is shocking how little salespersons know about the vehicle they are selling.

When I was shopping for my car, the episode of The Apprentice that featured the LS460 had just aired. The salespeople at the dealership where I bought my LS didn't know anything about it. Now when you consider that Lexus paid a fortune to be featured on that program, you would think Lexus would have contacted every dealership and alerted them to the upcoming episode. Good grief!
Old 09-05-07, 07:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Lexus factory ordering process is a joke, I don't blame you one bit.
With MB, BMW etc., once you order, you would be given a reference # soon, & you would be able to track the progress of your order through the computer every step of the way I believe.
Their flexibility(NON) in letting factory order customers determine their own options/trim combinations sucks too
Old 09-05-07, 07:52 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Sometimes it really is shocking how little salespersons know about the vehicle they are selling.

When I was shopping for my car, the episode of The Apprentice that featured the LS460 had just aired. The salespeople at the dealership where I bought my LS didn't know anything about it. Now when you consider that Lexus paid a fortune to be featured on that program, you would think Lexus would have contacted every dealership and alerted them to the upcoming episode. Good grief!
i agree with you, the sales department in most dealers of most manufacturers really suck, i know my sales department isn't the best either accept for the manager and like 2 other sales men who have been with the product line for years. btw i work for audi.
Old 09-05-07, 08:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I completely understand the frustration with not knowing about when the order is coming in, specifics, etc. There are two issues I am thinking of here--1) advance information and 2) ordering.

For the latter, ordering, I defer to Robaraptra's information, and the idea of being able to check the special order progress online. Plus there is the well-known increased customizability in the European luxury makes. In this regard, I think Lexus has lots of room to improve on. For their special order, or top echelon customers, they should have more information, and keep their special customers "in the loop."

As for advance product information, I am not sure how they will proceed, or should proceed, about this. I remember the GS preview event here in SoCal, a salesman told me they were not given any information...deliberately kept from knowing anything. In fact, at times the brand-new vehicle has shown up at the dealership and the sales reps have no info about what is under the hood! They have to experience it firsthand.

The other thing that was rather clandestine about the GS preview event, Lexus Japan executives toured the dealership facility the morning of the event, along with the arrival of the GS handbuilt preproduction vehicle, then exited to whereabouts unknown.

There definitely seems to be a multifaceted approach to things. Lexus Japan keeps a tight lid, and lets only certain people in Lexus USA know, who in turn will tell some details to dealership higher-ups, and then a little trickles down to sales reps. It's a way of keeping the competition, but also the customers, guessing. While good things happen to those who wait, and surprises can be entertaining (don't spoil the secret!), it can also be frustrating. These days however, just like how newspapers and TV are having to make room for blogs, a message board like CL can be the fastest way of disseminating information that the 'normal channels' may take longer to do. Partly because rumors and fact are allowed to coexist, for accuracy or not.

Anyhow, good luck on your future ultra-lux vehicle purchase, or whatever vehicle you choose to make your own. Hopefully your suggestions will help Lexus improve its customer experience practices. Specifically, I guess you are focusing on the pre-ordering process for an ultra-luxury vehicle? Since this is Lexus' first entrant into this field (perhaps followed by the LF-A/GT-F), perhaps they will learn how to get more information out, faster. I do strongly suggest they set up a dedicated special order support process that gives more information, status updates, etc.
Old 09-05-07, 09:02 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Remember, when you buy a Lexus, you're paying 15-20% less than MB & BMW for an equivalent, if not superior car. The thing to ask youself is: "Am I willing to pony up another 10 to 25 grand for an LS in exchange for some extra handholding and color/trim choices???"
Old 09-06-07, 05:47 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

I'm getting a similar experience. I've thought of cancelling my order, for the same reasons. It's amazing that 1 year after I placed my deposit the dealership can't tell me when I'll get the car, or why multiple people on the waiting list below me have gotten theirs, or when ordering it I couldn't even get a straight answer regarding options.

I love their cars, I've been very happy with their reliability. I even like the service department. But sales - pathetic. I truly feel your pain.

I'm giving them another month or so for concrete info. Lacking that, I'm a free agent.
Old 09-06-07, 09:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I think that's one of the reasons why there are some LS600hL's that's become readily available now even though they're supposedly all spoken for(have deposits on them) for the entire year's allocation.
Some people have pulled out because of the lack of info on their orders & they got tired of it & lost interest & bought something else . . . & when their orders finally arrived, they become available to whoever who wants to take them.
Old 09-06-07, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't expect salesman to know their product b/c obviously they don't care enough or do the research as much as we do......but at the same time I don't want to hear any BS or smart remarks.

Bad sales/service is such a turn off, no matter what brand.

Keep us updated if you decide with the S8 and if/when Lexus responds to you.
Old 09-06-07, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I think that's one of the reasons why there are some LS600hL's that's become readily available now even though they're supposedly all spoken for(have deposits on them) for the entire year's allocation.
Some people have pulled out because of the lack of info on their orders & they got tired of it & lost interest & bought something else . . . & when their orders finally arrived, they become available to whoever who wants to take them.
another reason is that some of the cars are actually "ordered" by owners or GM of the dealerships, they just want to get allocated the cars. once the car is here they put them up at the dealership for sale
Old 09-06-07, 12:20 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

That is amazing. I have never had any issues with ordered or purchasing a Lexus. I always deal direct with the Sales manager, and get what I want. I am in SoCal, so maybe logistics has something to do with it.
Old 09-06-07, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocman
That is amazing. I have never had any issues with ordered or purchasing a Lexus. I always deal direct with the Sales manager, and get what I want. I am in SoCal, so maybe logistics has something to do with it.
same here, i am in socal and getting a car i want hasn't been that much of a pain. i don't know if it's coz' this car is limited right now (2000 for 08)?
Old 09-08-07, 06:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Lexus factory ordering process is a joke, I don't blame you one bit.
With MB, BMW etc., once you order, you would be given a reference # soon, & you would be able to track the progress of your order through the computer every step of the way I believe.
Their flexibility(NON) in letting factory order customers determine their own options/trim combinations sucks too
Completely agreed. Lexus attitude is "we'll sell them anyway even if they're not exactly what some picky customers want".

For a company that seems to care a lot about customer service they still manufacturer high end cars as if they're a low volume Camry.

I wonder if they're going to do the same thing with the LF-A?

Motorweek today had a review of the Ferrari 599GTB today. Definitely an expensive (and stunningly amazing) car, but you can get about every piece of trim EXACTLY the way you want it. But that's not just the case for a $280K car, you can do the same for a Porsche 911 too.

Anyway, ICEMAN, sorry to hear about your experience. I will be interested to hear what your experience is with any other brand or with Lexus again if you try later.
Old 09-09-07, 01:55 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the words of support, guys. I guess I was kind of expecting to get some flak from the board for giving up on such an amazing machine. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking of "luxury" as being about more than simply the product.

I have definitely not given up on Lexus as I still think they're the best out there. They can clearly do better, and I hope they will focus on the guest experience now that they have the product pipeline seemingly in great shape.

Quick Reply: Canceled My LS600hL Order