Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Updating the navigation software

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 05:22 PM
bwags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Updating the navigation software

Well.....I am a little unhappy with my Lexus dealer today.
I bought my '07 RX 400h one week ago and when I checked the software version, it is an '06. I understand that.....the car was made in '06. I called the dealership to see if the new software was available and was told that it will be out in Oct. It will be the '08 software. I was told that I will need to pay $275 for the software upgrade, even tho I just got my new car.
One of the reasons that I want to get the upgraded software is that my home address is not showing up on my software. I have lived at this address for 4 years (it is a rural address) and still it doesn't show up.
Am I really wrong to think that they should at least give me some kind of a deal on new software since my car is so new?? Maybe I just don't get it............
Old 09-10-07, 05:54 PM
nobuddy
Rookie

When you say your home address "doesn't show up," I'm not sure what you mean. In any case, you can just mark the location of your home and use it to set destinations.

nb
Old 09-10-07, 06:41 PM
bwags
Driver School Candidate

When I put in my address, it tells me that there is no such address on that street.
Old 09-11-07, 10:27 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by bwags
When I put in my address, it tells me that there is no such address on that street.
dont count on it being updated in new versions. Some rural roads may never be added, or it might take a long time. since the adress is often off by at least a few houses anyway, better is to just save a waypoint while sitting in your driveway and then save that as your home.
Old 09-11-07, 11:38 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Mark it

Like the other posted stated, when you are in your driveway, you can "Memorize" or Register your location and rename it HOME. This way you have a perfect "home" registration point, no need to have the DVD map list it for you when in fact your memorizing it.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 09-17-07, 07:50 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

You are not in that bad shape you only have no street. I attempted to put in my address in Rio Grande Estates,New Mexico no street no town even listed by that name on the navigation. I have my house listed at a fictitious house number on another street per the dealers rccomendation for security.
Old 09-19-07, 07:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can always "mark" your current location, then go into the edit function to select the icon or title you want for that location so that it can be recalled at any time.

I occasionally travel to remote locations well off the beaten path and have gotten into the habit of not just marking the location, but also "throwing a flag" where I leave the last indicated road (zoomed all the way in). If you mark a location that does not connect directly to a mapped road, you may get some really confused mapping as to how to return to that spot. By setting that turn-off flag as your destination, you can proceed there and sort of follow the available roads in the direction of your final destination (zoom out if necessary).

Most navigation systems include county roads and most residential streets. Because they rely on aerial photos rather than local knowledge for their map database, there are bound to be errors. Only three miles from my house there is a freeway entrance that must have slipped by the mapmakers. When I travel in that direction, the software always wants to take me several blocks out of my way in the wrong direction and U-turn back. Now that entrance is on the north side of an overpass, so an aerial photo taken from more than 20 degrees south would completely hide the entrance. Unlike DeLorme and Rand-McNally, the mapmakers for most nav systems are not real sticklers for accuracy.