Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 07:12 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Helmar did some 100 and 90mph stretch, at those speed you actually start to waste more gas coz' you are pushing for power
"Some" is an exaggeration! I was only at that speed for around 10 seconds, not enough to make a difference in my overall MPG.

Originally Posted by rominl
oh and helmar, maybe you should get the override module so you can keep on driving
I thought that that modification had some undesirable side effects.... Also, I'm not sure whether it would work on an LS600hL, nor how it would affect the warrantee. In any case, as I'd said, I don't consider it a serious enough annoyance....

HBH
Old 10-22-07, 07:32 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

So Helmar reinforces my point...that (at least on the highway) the hybrid mileage advantage is almost nil.
Old 10-22-07, 07:56 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
So Helmar reinforces my point...that (at least on the highway) the hybrid mileage advantage is almost nil.
Mileage and economy was not a major consideration for purchasing this car.

Having owned two LS's before, I wanted another Lexus LS.

Living in Maine, I needed an AWD vehicle.

Being able to afford it, I therefore purchased the LS600hL, which meets my expectations in every way.

By the way, one additional, albeit seldom mentioned, advantage of the LS600hL over the LS460L is the CVT transmission. This is NOT a minor improvement. It resolves my only issue with my previous LS430, that of downshift hesitation. I found that hesitation very annoying and dangerous as I had to abort merge attempts several times due to it.

The CVT transmissions provides instant response, in exactly the expected manner.

HBH
Old 10-22-07, 08:07 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I'd love AWD also here in Pittsburgh and "get it" with regard to that. And I "get it" that you can afford it and enjoy it. All of that being said, I think if I were going to consider the hybrid for the AWD advantage I'd buy the $60,000 LS460 and another nice luxury $60,000ish SUV. Yeah, it's double the maintenance etc etc. But I just can't see essentially the same vehicle with essentially the same gas mileage costing twice as much for AWD as the only real difference/improvement. 10% more, maybe. The whole hybrid option seems pointless for a few mere extra MPGs around town. I REALLY don't get it.
Old 10-22-07, 08:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

BTW the LS600hL is on the long wheelbase, so start off the price at $72k, then the 600 still has a lot of standard features which are optional on the normal LS. Dont forget a CVT transmission, LED headlights, and other things I am forgetting. 60k LS460 is a bare bones one, most people arent keen on getting one bare bones
Old 10-22-07, 09:09 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

... costing twice as much for AWD as the only real difference/improvement ... The whole hybrid option seems pointless for a few mere extra MPGs around town. I REALLY don't get it.
I think what you're missing is that it's NOT about mileage. If it were, your point might be more valid.

It's about (1) I want to drive an LS, for all of the various reasons. (2) AWD is a must. (3) You're missing (or downplaying) my point about the CVT transmission. This is not a minor improvement.

Living in a condo, I get two parking places. I can't have a 3rd vehicle, nor would I want one. I purchased the Lexus to drive and enjoy, not to have it sit in the garage.

Also, in comparing the costs, you need to compare the LS600hL to the cost of a fully loaded LS460L. The delta there is closer to $20,000, and the AWD, CVT, and other lesser benefits make it somewhat closer in cost.

As in the '60's (somewhat vulgar) phrase: Different strokes for different folks. What's important to you is less important to me.

HBH
Old 10-22-07, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

please.... it's not that hard to really understand the hybrid idea behind lexus, is it? let me just say it again. it's not about gas mileage the way you see it.... if you want to compare, compare it with any of the v12 cars out there, NOT v8, NOT ls460.... this is a v8 hybrid, not v6 hybrid......

look at the 3gs. gs450h is a v6 hybrid. its gas mileage is a bit better than the gs350. you don't go out and say that it's pointless. it gives you that good of a gas mileage but the performance of a v8, the gs430/460, which has a much lower gas mileage

bring it on the ls460/600hl.... for the same gas mileage, instead of the ls460 v8 power, you get the v12 power with some extra at a better gas mielage numbers

ls460l --> 750il
ls600hl --> 760il
ls460l -/-> ls600hl

is this clear enough?
Old 10-22-07, 01:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good points, 460LEX. The 600hL is indeed a technological tour de force in that it introduces a host of world's first features.
Old 10-22-07, 01:56 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

im glad to see that a great car like the ls600hl is actually being driven, some ppl who buy cars like that just keep them in the garage, but anyways, i mglad you are enjoying your car, and i think u should get a clear bra or any bra for your car just to keep the hood from getting al torn up, im not sure bout the ls, but other lexus' we have had seems to have very very thin paint , unlike the bmw's and m;bs weve had
Old 10-22-07, 04:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Nice write up Helmar. I think a book is in the making!

BTW, I can't imagine anyone buying this car caring the least about gas mileage. Heck, I'd buy it even if it had the gas guzzler tax!
Old 10-22-07, 07:22 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My other car is the lowest mileage car in America. So I actually feel slightly environmentally responsible owning the hybrid.

It's the same feeling they get in Hollywood getting out of their corporate jets into their Priuses.

Present hybrids have very little to do with increased gas mileage. If they did, we'd se 1.2 liter diesel engines with electric motors bolted on to them. As we stand today, hybrids are about increased power at the same gas mileage of the base car. Is it hypocritical -- Yes. Is it what people want and believe -- Yes also. They are building cars people want to buy. Plain and simple.

Me? I'm in it for the gadgets.

Last edited by zzzzdoc; 10-22-07 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 09:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
My other car is the lowest mileage car in America. So I actually feel slightly environmentally responsible owning the hybrid.

It's the same feeling they get in Hollywood getting out of their corporate jets into their Priuses.

Present hybrids have very little to do with increased gas mileage. If they did, we'd se 1.2 liter diesel engines with electric motors bolted on to them. As we stand today, hybrids are about increased power at the same gas mileage of the base car. Is it hypocritical -- Yes. Is it what people want and believe -- Yes also. They are building cars people want to buy. Plain and simple.

Me? I'm in it for the gadgets.
1.5 litres in the Prius isn't small enough? haha.
Old 10-23-07, 01:55 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The whole concept of hybrids serves the interests of politicians and do-gooders and applies almost exclusively to city driving. Any excursion outside of that realm transforms the hybrid into a paradoxical oxymoron. The highway numbers are virtually identical, and city advantages are only achieved because they eliminate consumption while idling. Other than that, it's anybody's guess whether they are at all efficient in the city.

If we're really going to impact the car's carbon footprint on this planet, it will have to come from hydrogen fueled cars, and even that concept is still a pipe dream.

Having said all that, I still think the 600hL is a hottie...
Old 10-23-07, 11:36 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything you guys are saying is RIGHT... however it's funny to see LS600HL commercials which emphasize speed, which is a little comical to me, compare to other V12 in its class...
Old 10-23-07, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

besides the s600, i think the ls600hl speed is very close to the a8 and 760il?

Quick Reply: LS600hL road trip